FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-03-2010, 02:21 PM
ken
 
Default gcc?

On 05/03/2010 08:48 AM Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Massey, Ricky <ricky.massey@lmco.com> wrote:
>> Try kdevelop.
>
> Will second this... It comes with project templates for anything from
> a simple shell "helloworld" to full blown GUI apps.

Nobody's mentioned glade2-- or as its listed in the gnome menu, "Glade
Interface Designer". It's a drag-and-drop GUI for creating windowed
apps. I.e., you select which widgets you want and drop them onto a
window, configure them, and then use whatever editor you want to create
the back-end code. Glade creates your app's code in variety of
different programming languages, C included.

For an editor I use emacs because I can use it for just about anything
from creating plain text, shell scripts, html docs, and C code. Emacs
isn't just configurable, it's programmable. You can write code to add
or change the functionality emacs provides. It's been around since the
'60s and isn't likely to go away anytime in the next few decades.


Just more options....


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 05-03-2010, 02:37 PM
 
Default gcc?

>
> On 05/03/2010 08:48 AM Kwan Lowe wrote:
>> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Massey, Ricky <ricky.massey@lmco.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Try kdevelop.
>>
>> Will second this... It comes with project templates for anything from
>> a simple shell "helloworld" to full blown GUI apps.
>
> Nobody's mentioned glade2-- or as its listed in the gnome menu, "Glade
> Interface Designer". It's a drag-and-drop GUI for creating windowed
> apps. I.e., you select which widgets you want and drop them onto a
> window, configure them, and then use whatever editor you want to create
> the back-end code. Glade creates your app's code in variety of
> different programming languages, C included.

Interesting.
>
> For an editor I use emacs because I can use it for just about anything

vi.

> from creating plain text, shell scripts, html docs, and C code. Emacs
> isn't just configurable, it's programmable. You can write code to add
> or change the functionality emacs provides. It's been around since the
> '60s and isn't likely to go away anytime in the next few decades.

I could swear it had only been around since the eighties.... At any rate,
yes, emacs, the windowing operating system masquerading as a programmers'
editor....

mark "we should take this to alt.religion.editors"

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 05-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default gcc?

On 5/3/2010 8:38 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>>
>>>>> Are you trying to ask for a recommendation for a programmers editor?
>>>> Thank you for your reply. Actually, I do not just need an C code editor
>>>> but I am seeking if a complete software package like c++/visual c on
>>>> Windows does exist for CentOS that enables for editing, debugging,
>>>> running, online
>>>> help for all of the commands, etc. Can you please let me know if such a
>>>> complete package if available?
>>>
>>> What you are looking for is called an IDE (Integrated Development
>>> Environment). I believe that such a thing exists for the UNIX/Linux
>>> world, but I have had no experience with such tools under UNIX (few
>>> UNIX programmers bother with something like that).
>>
>> That's probably not true any more, especially for languages like java that
>> like to put each class in its own file. In fact, if there is any chance
>> that you'llever program in java, I would just start with eclipse since it
>> will also handle
>> C and some other languages nicely. "yum install eclipse-platform".
>
> Assuming your system can handle the what, 1G+ IDE, and do so with
> reasonable speed....

Yes, you'd probably want at least a pentium-3 and a reasonable amount of
RAM - and with any GUI tool, a decent video card, although with freenx
or remote X, that part can be elsewhere.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 05-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Agile Aspect
 
Default gcc?

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 12:14 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> dear all i have gcc on my centos. I need to make an executable file
> from my c code. Can you please let me know what stuff and company do i
> need on my centos? Is there any gui like c++/visual c avalable for
> centos?

+1 for Eclipse/CDT/PyDev for C++/Python
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 05-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Mathieu Baudier
 
Default gcc?

>> Can you please let me know if such a complete package if available?
>
> Lots - do some basic research to find one that meets your needs, for
> example http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Linux+c%2B%2B+IDE

Yes there are a lot and it takes time to install and test them all...

I personnally settled for Eclipse CDT which integrates with the GNU
toolchain without hiding it.
That's also because I also use Eclipse as a Java IDE (much more than I
do C/C++ dev).

Download a recent version of Eclipse CDT.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 05-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Mathieu Baudier
 
Default gcc?

> Assuming your system can handle the what, 1G+ IDE, and do so with
> reasonable speed....

As we speak, I have under the eyes two Eclipse workspaces with tens of
OSGi (Java) projects and hundreds of dependencies.

Workspace 1: 167M of 274M
Workspace 2: 99M of 322M
(show heap status in Preferences > General)

I have just shown a colleague how to use 'Open Type Hierarchy' (F4) to
browse through the inheritance hierarchy of any objects across all
classes of the workspace (your own + those of all libraries).
When your whole stack is FLOSS software, and you can thus directly
open the code of each third party class and continue browsing, I think
that an IDE as a real value.

I routinely have around 4 workspaces open on my 4 GB workstation
(+plenty of firefoxes, and the test servers and processes, etc.).

Sorry for the (slight) OT, since I'm talking about Java devpt, but I
want to share that I am really happy with Eclipse (v3.5.2 x86_64 PDE)
on CentOS.

In terms of stability and resource usage it is the best fit I have
found so far for Java devpt, contrary to what many would think...
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:32 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org