Old 05-01-2010, 08:28 PM

Default Upgrading to 2.6.32

I want to upgrade a 5.4 box with the 2.618 kernel to a shiny new 2.6.32 kernel. Anyone done it? Is it possible? Are there gotcha's to watch out for?

Any advice is appreciated. A link to a decent howto would be awesome.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Rob Kampen

maillists0@gmail.com wrote:
I want to upgrade a 5.4 box with the 2.618 kernel to a shiny new
2.6.32 kernel. Anyone done it? Is it possible? Are there gotcha's to
watch out for?

So why not try RHEL v6 beta?

Any advice is appreciated. A link to a decent howto would be awesome.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM, <maillists0@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to upgrade a 5.4 box with the 2.618 kernel to a shiny new 2.6.32
> kernel. Anyone done it? Is it possible? Are there gotcha's to watch out for?
>
> Any advice is appreciated. A link to a decent howto would be awesome.

You did not tell us why you want to run 2.6.32 on CentOS 5.4. I assume
you are aware of backporting and 2.6.18 is not the same as vanilla
kernel 2.6.18.

Having said that, if you really, really need to run/build such a new
kernel, I advice you read through this CentOS forum thread in its
entirety:

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=23627&forum=3 7

(Note: custom kernels are not supported by CentOS)

Akemi

Old 05-01-2010, 08:40 PM

I want to upgrade a 5.4 box with the 2.618 kernel to a shiny new 2.6.32 kernel. Anyone done it? Is it possible? Are there gotcha's to watch out for?

So why not try RHEL v6 beta?

Any advice is appreciated. A link to a decent howto would be awesome.

The box is about 1200 miles away and I figure I might as well give this a try before spending the money on remote hands. Plus my boss doesn't like the license stuff with Redhat.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:44 PM

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM, *<maillists0@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to upgrade a 5.4 box with the 2.618 kernel to a shiny new 2.6.32

> kernel. Anyone done it? Is it possible? Are there gotcha's to watch out for?

> Any advice is appreciated. A link to a decent howto would be awesome.

You did not tell us why you want to run 2.6.32 on CentOS 5.4. I assume

you are aware of backporting and 2.6.18 is not the same as vanilla

kernel 2.6.18.

Having said that, if you really, really need to run/build such a new

kernel, I advice you read through this CentOS forum thread in its

entirety:

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=23627&forum=3 7

Thanks, Akemi. I really want to try the fs-cache feature to make an nfs caching proxy. It would be a godsend.

I was wondering whether the standard "make oldconfig" would work when making a version jump this large.* Are my drivers likely to break?*

Old 05-01-2010, 08:51 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 04:44:49PM -0400, maillists0@gmail.com wrote:

> I was wondering whether the standard "make oldconfig" would work when making
> a version jump this large. Are my drivers likely to break?

*All* bets are off with this. It's unsupported and for good
reason. Redhat has, literally, *many hundreds* of patches in the
kernels they ship that the vanilla kernel kits don't provide,
it is entirely likely hardware support is different including
drivers.

John

--
When there are too many policemen, there can be no liberty. When there are
too many soldiers, there can be no peace. When there are too many lawyers,

-- Lin Yutang (10 October 1895 - 26 March 1976), Chinese writer and translator,
as quoted in Alexander, James (2005). The World's Funniest Laws. Cheam: Crombie
Jardine. pp. page 6

Old 05-01-2010, 08:56 PM

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:

On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 04:44:49PM -0400, maillists0@gmail.com wrote:

> I was wondering whether the standard "make oldconfig" would work when making

> a version jump this large. *Are my drivers likely to break?

* * * **All* bets are off with this. *It's unsupported and for good

* * * *reason. *Redhat has, literally, *many hundreds* of patches in the

* * * *kernels they ship that the vanilla kernel kits don't provide,

* * * *it is entirely likely hardware support is different including

* * * *drivers.

That's exactly what I was wondering about. That said, I'm willing to sort through it all if I can just find the right docs, but I'm just inexperienced enough that I don't know where to start looking.

Redhat has a kernel src rpm available. Is that patched? If I started with the vanilla kernel, where might I find guidance on how to apply the Redhat patches? Is this a completely crazy idea? *

Old 05-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Nataraj

maillists0@gmail.com wrote:

> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com
> <mailto:jrd@gerdesas.com>> wrote:
>
> On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 04:44:49PM -0400, maillists0@gmail.com
> <mailto:maillists0@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering whether the standard "make oldconfig" would work
> when making
> > a version jump this large. Are my drivers likely to break?
>
> *All* bets are off with this. It's unsupported and for good
> reason. Redhat has, literally, *many hundreds* of patches
> in the
> kernels they ship that the vanilla kernel kits don't provide,
> it is entirely likely hardware support is different including
> drivers.
>

> That's exactly what I was wondering about. That said, I'm willing to
> sort through it all if I can just find the right docs, but I'm just
> inexperienced enough that I don't know where to start looking.
>
> Redhat has a kernel src rpm available. Is that patched? If I started
> with the vanilla kernel, where might I find guidance on how to apply
> the Redhat patches? Is this a completely crazy idea?

While I can't speak for specific features in the redhat kernel, I have
taken the config file that comes with a CentOS kernel and applied it to
a kernel.org kernel using make menuconfig. I then went quickly through
the options added in the more recent kernel and selected reasonable
values for them. The resulting kernel ran just fine, but, as I said I
was not trying to use any new features added by redhat. Note, that you
want to build the new kernel under the CentOS release that you'll be
running it under. Perhaps you could apply a procedure similar to this
using the RedHat 6 kernel instead of a kernel.org kernel (building with
the CentOS 5.x or whatever config file and then changing the options
that you want to change - you might have problems if you try to enable
features not supported by older lib files).

Nataraj

Old 05-01-2010, 09:35 PM
MHR

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 1:56 PM, <maillists0@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's exactly what I was wondering about. That said, I'm willing to sort
> through it all if I can just find the right docs, but I'm just inexperienced
> enough that I don't know where to start looking.

If this is your first time doing anything like this, it's a poor place
to start. Building custom kernels is relatively easy if you're just
adding a module or fixing a bug, but jumping 14 versions of the kernel
to a functionally distant future from the more-than-a-year-old base
for CentOS 5.4 is a big leap, especially if you've never done that
before. You're asking to break the system.

Speaking from experience with experiments of this nature, I'd
recommend against it.

mhr

Old 05-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Brian Mathis

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:40 PM, <maillists0@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Rob Kampen <rkampen@kampensonline.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> maillists0@gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> I want to upgrade a 5.4 box with the 2.618 kernel to a shiny new 2.6.32
>>> kernel. Anyone done it? Is it possible? Are there gotcha's to watch out for?
>>
>> So why not try RHEL v6 beta?
>>>
>>> Any advice is appreciated. A link to a decent howto would be awesome.
>>>

> The box is about 1200 miles away and I figure I might as well give this a
> try before spending the money on remote hands. Plus my boss doesn't like the
> license stuff with Redhat.

I hope you're planning on trying this on a local test machine or a VM
specifically setup for this before trying it remotely. Also, make
sure you have a backup plan, such as remote access to the console, and
hopefully another machine with a PXE boot to be able to reinstall the
OS or boot to a rescue disk.