Old 04-30-2010, 07:13 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default vim and backup files

None of my CentOS servers that are up to date recognize :set backup?
A strace shows no mention of it, the backup never gets created, what
am I missing here, anyone know if something changed that affects the
backup behavior?

Thanks!
jlc

Old 04-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
> None of my CentOS servers that are up to date recognize :set backup?
> A strace shows no mention of it, the backup never gets created, what
> am I missing here, anyone know if something changed that affects the
> backup behavior?

Works for me.. Maybe you have backupdir set someplace else?? I just
tried with fully updated 4.8 and 5.5 systems..

Old 04-30-2010, 08:11 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Works for me.. Maybe you have backupdir set someplace else?? I just
>tried with fully updated 4.8 and 5.5 systems..

Odd, even with backupdir explicitly set, it doesn't make a copy?
It's getting disabled someplace as strace doesn't indicate any
mention of it.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>>Works for me.. Maybe you have backupdir set someplace else?? I just
>>tried with fully updated 4.8 and 5.5 systems..
>
> Odd, even with backupdir explicitly set, it doesn't make a copy?
> It's getting disabled someplace as strace doesn't indicate any
> mention of it.

strace won't show much unless there's a system call being made. You'd
need a debugger to watch the application itself..

Can you dump your current configuration? I.e., post output of:

:set

or

:let

Old 04-30-2010, 08:42 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Can you dump your current configuration?

Sure, on one machine:

:set
--- Options ---
background=dark history=50 incsearch scrolloff=5 smartcase viminfo='20,"50 t_Sf=^[[3%dm
backup hlsearch nomodeline showbreak=> ttyfast nowrap
helplang=en ignorecase ruler sidescrolloff=5 ttymouse=xterm2 t_Sb=^[[4%dm
backspace=indent,eol,start
fileencodings=utf-8,latin1
wildmode=list:longest,full

Old 04-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>>Can you dump your current configuration?
>
> Sure, on one machine:
>
> :set
> --- Options ---
[snip]

Nothing jumps out.. What specific version are you running? selinux enabled?

Old 04-30-2010, 09:02 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Nothing jumps out.. What specific version are you running? selinux enabled?

vim-enhanced-7.0.109-6.el5
vim-common-7.0.109-6.el5
vim-minimal-7.0.109-6.el5

No selinux. Odd, it was working on all the systems until recently?