Old 04-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Stephen Harris

Default Reverse engineering USB devices

I'm pretty sure this is the wrong list, but maybe some clever people
here can redirect me...

I have a "RCA RS2100 Bookshelf Audio System"
http://www.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=2744
This is radio/CD/mp3 player... PLUS it can stream audio wirelessly.
You plug a USB device into your PC and you can remote control what gets
played from the RS2100 remote control ("Wireless Musiclink").

BUT only with Windows Media Center.

When I plugged the device in it appears to look like 3 devices; a HID,
an audio device and something else I can't remember (I'm not at that
machine at the moment). My feeling is that the HID is used to inject
commands from the RS2100 (eg "play track <x>"), the audio device is for
streaming and the third device is feedback for the remote display.

The question I have... how can I reverse engineer the protocol used so
that I can make this work on my CentOS machine? (I don't want to run
a Windows instance just for remote audio!). Any hints, tips, pointers etc
much appreciated.

Thanks!

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 04-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/4/30 Stephen Harris <lists@spuddy.org>:
> I'm pretty sure this is the wrong list, but maybe some clever people
> here can redirect me...
>
> I have a "RCA RS2100 Bookshelf Audio System"
> *http://www.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=2744
> This is radio/CD/mp3 player... PLUS it can stream audio wirelessly.
> You plug a USB device into your PC and you can remote control what gets
> played from the RS2100 remote control ("Wireless Musiclink").
>
> BUT only with Windows Media Center.
>
> When I plugged the device in it appears to look like 3 devices; a HID,
> an audio device and something else I can't remember (I'm not at that
> machine at the moment). *My feeling is that the HID is used to inject
> commands from the RS2100 (eg "play track <x>"), the audio device is for
> streaming and the third device is feedback for the remote display.
>
> The question I have... how can I reverse engineer the protocol used so
> that I can make this work on my CentOS machine? *(I don't want to run
> a Windows instance just for remote audio!). *Any hints, tips, pointers etc
> much appreciated.

try usbsnoop or similar tools.

--
Eero,
RHCE

Old 04-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Robert Heller

> 2010/4/30 Stephen Harris <lists@spuddy.org>:
> > I'm pretty sure this is the wrong list, but maybe some clever people
> > here can redirect me...
> >
> > I have a "RCA RS2100 Bookshelf Audio System"
> > *http://www.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=2744
> > This is radio/CD/mp3 player... PLUS it can stream audio wirelessly.
> > You plug a USB device into your PC and you can remote control what gets
> > played from the RS2100 remote control ("Wireless Musiclink").
> >
> > BUT only with Windows Media Center.
> >
> > When I plugged the device in it appears to look like 3 devices; a HID,
> > an audio device and something else I can't remember (I'm not at that
> > machine at the moment). *My feeling is that the HID is used to inject
> > commands from the RS2100 (eg "play track <x>"), the audio device is for
> > streaming and the third device is feedback for the remote display.
> >
> > The question I have... how can I reverse engineer the protocol used so
> > that I can make this work on my CentOS machine? *(I don't want to run
> > a Windows instance just for remote audio!). *Any hints, tips, pointers etc
> > much appreciated.
>
> try usbsnoop or similar tools.

You can also connect up with the libusb mailing list on sourceforge.
Someone there might have already written a user-mode driver for it.

> --
> Eero,
> RHCE

Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933