FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Bob Beers
 
Default Simplifying making a USB install key

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:03 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Ok, where/how do I submit this to the CentOS project?
>
> Here's a complete script - anyone, *please* feel free to test it, and let
> me know if I've missed anything.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> * * * *mark
>
> #!/bin/bash
> # ###################################
> # Author: mark roth
> # Date: 30 Apr. 2010
> # Purpose: to create a working, bootable CentOS install on a USB key
> #####################################
>
> if [[ $# < 2 ]]; then
> * echo "usage: $0 <devname> <path/to/install.iso>"
> * echo " *Example: $0 sdb /scratch/CentOS-5.4-bin-DVD.iso"
> * echo " *Note: you must install livecd-tools before running this."
> * exit
> fi
>
> /sbin/sfdisk -n -uM /dev/$1 << EOF
> ,10,b,*
> ,,83
> ;
> ;
> EOF
>
> mkfs -t vfat /dev/${1}1
> mkfs /dev/${1}2
>
> /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk /scratch/CentOS-5.4-i386-LiveCD.iso /dev/${1}1

s/scratch/CentOS-5.4-i386-LiveCD.iso/${2}/ ???


> mount /dev/${1}2 /mnt
> cp $2 /mnt/
>
> # end
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>

-Bob
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Phil Schaffner
 
Default Simplifying making a USB install key

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote on 04/30/2010 11:03 AM:
> Ok, where/how do I submit this to the CentOS project?

http://wiki.centos.org/Contribute

If you don't want to jump through the hoops required to become a Wiki
author, let me know and I'll be glad to add it with attribution to

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey

Phil
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-30-2010, 04:06 PM
 
Default Simplifying making a USB install key

Bob wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:03 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Ok, where/how do I submit this to the CentOS project?
>>
>> Here's a complete script - anyone, *please* feel free to test it, and
>> let me know if I've missed anything.
<snip>
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> # ###################################
>> # Author: mark roth
>> # Date: 30 Apr. 2010
>> # Purpose: to create a working, bootable CentOS install on a USB key
>> #####################################
<MVNCH>
>>
>> /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk /scratch/CentOS-5.4-i386-LiveCD.iso
>> /dev/${1}1
>
> s/scratch/CentOS-5.4-i386-LiveCD.iso/${2}/ ???

As in,
/usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk $2

Thanks, Bob, just what I needed. There's probably too much blood in my
caffeine stream for me to have noticed that.
<snip>

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 05-03-2010, 10:20 AM
John Doe
 
Default Simplifying making a USB install key

From: "m.roth@5-cent.us" <m.roth@5-cent.us>
> Ok, where/how do I submit this to the CentOS project?
> Here's a complete script - anyone, *please* feel free to test it, and let
> me know if I've missed anything.

Don't forget to say in the wiki where to get this 'livecd-iso-to-disk' fedora script

JD



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 05-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Phil Schaffner
 
Default Simplifying making a USB install key

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote on 04/30/2010 11:03 AM:
> Ok, where/how do I submit this to the CentOS project?
>
> Here's a complete script - anyone, *please* feel free to test it, and let
> me know if I've missed anything.

Variation on your theme. Uses ext2 and extlinux with no FAT partition.
Remove "-n" from sfdisk so changes are written. Adds some error
checking.:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash
# ###################################
# Author: mark roth
# Date: 30 Apr. 2010
# Purpose: to create a working, bootable CentOS install on a USB key
#####################################

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

if [[ $# < 2 ]]; then
echo "usage: $0 <devname> <path/to/install.iso>"
echo " Example: $0 sdb /scratch/CentOS-5.4-bin-DVD.iso"
exit 1
fi

if [[ ! -f /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk ]]; then
echo "You must install livecd-tools before running this."
echo "See: http://projects.centos.org/trac/livecd/wiki/GetToolset"
exit 2
fi

if [[ -f $2 ]]; then
if file $2 | grep -q "ISO 9660"; then
echo "Using ISO image $2 ..."
else
echo "$2 is not an ISO image!"
exit 3
fi
else
echo "$2 ISO image file not found."
exit 4
fi

if [[ $EUID -ne 0 ]]; then
echo "This script must be run as root."
exit 5
fi

if sfdisk -l /dev/$1 >& /dev/null; then
echo "Current partitions for /dev/$1:"
sfdisk -l /dev/$1
echo -n "Press <Enter> to continue or ^C to abort: "
read aline
else
echo "No such device /dev/$1"
exit 6
fi

sfdisk -uM /dev/$1 << EOF
,,83,*
;
;
;
EOF

echo "Remove and reinsert the USB key."
echo " Use Safely Remove first if in a GUI."
echo " Do not mount in GUI after reinsertion."
echo -n " Press <Enter> to continue: "

read aline

mkfs /dev/${1}1

/usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr $2 /dev/${1}1

echo "USB boot media of $2 done."

# end
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately the only system I have to test on at the moment boots the
installer OK, then asks for the installation media, but doesn't see the
USB device when Hard Disk is selected. With the FAT partition and
syslinux doesn't see the device as bootable at all.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 05-03-2010, 09:33 PM
 
Default Simplifying making a USB install key

Phil wrote:
> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote on 04/30/2010 11:03 AM:
>> Ok, where/how do I submit this to the CentOS project?
>>
>> Here's a complete script - anyone, *please* feel free to test it, and
>> let me know if I've missed anything.
>
> Variation on your theme. Uses ext2 and extlinux with no FAT partition.
> Remove "-n" from sfdisk so changes are written. Adds some error

Duh, sorry, thanks for noticing the -n.

Here's a question, though: I was under the impression that
livecd-iso-to-disk *required* FAT. Also, if I were to make it ext2, would
that still be turned into an 8+M filesystem?

> checking.:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> #!/bin/bash
> # ###################################
> # Author: mark roth
> # Date: 30 Apr. 2010
> # Purpose: to create a working, bootable CentOS install on a USB key
> #####################################
>
> PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
>
> if [[ $# < 2 ]]; then
> echo "usage: $0 <devname> <path/to/install.iso>"
> echo " Example: $0 sdb /scratch/CentOS-5.4-bin-DVD.iso"
> exit 1
> fi
>
> if [[ ! -f /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk ]]; then
> echo "You must install livecd-tools before running this."
> echo "See: http://projects.centos.org/trac/livecd/wiki/GetToolset"
> exit 2
> fi
>
> if [[ -f $2 ]]; then
> if file $2 | grep -q "ISO 9660"; then
> echo "Using ISO image $2 ..."
> else
> echo "$2 is not an ISO image!"
> exit 3
> fi
> else
> echo "$2 ISO image file not found."
> exit 4
> fi
>
> if [[ $EUID -ne 0 ]]; then
> echo "This script must be run as root."
> exit 5
> fi
>
> if sfdisk -l /dev/$1 >& /dev/null; then
> echo "Current partitions for /dev/$1:"
> sfdisk -l /dev/$1
> echo -n "Press <Enter> to continue or ^C to abort: "
> read aline
> else
> echo "No such device /dev/$1"
> exit 6
> fi
>
> sfdisk -uM /dev/$1 << EOF
> ,,83,*
> ;
> ;
> ;
> EOF
>
> echo "Remove and reinsert the USB key."
> echo " Use Safely Remove first if in a GUI."
> echo " Do not mount in GUI after reinsertion."
> echo -n " Press <Enter> to continue: "
>
> read aline
>
> mkfs /dev/${1}1
>
> /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr $2 /dev/${1}1
>
> echo "USB boot media of $2 done."
>
> # end
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Unfortunately the only system I have to test on at the moment boots the
> installer OK, then asks for the installation media, but doesn't see the
> USB device when Hard Disk is selected. With the FAT partition and
> syslinux doesn't see the device as bootable at all.

Right. That's why I did it the way I did: once you get there, you tell it
h/d, then point it to the second partition, that has all the rest of the
USB key's space on it, and the whole .iso.

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 05-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Jure Pečar
 
Default Simplifying making a USB install key

On Mon, 3 May 2010 17:21:02 -0400
Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner@NASA.gov> wrote:

> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote on 04/30/2010 11:03 AM:
> > Ok, where/how do I submit this to the CentOS project?
> >
> > Here's a complete script - anyone, *please* feel free to test it, and let
> > me know if I've missed anything.

Does anyone have a copy of livecd-iso-to-disk converted to use blkid instead of vol_id?


--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:17 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org