Old 04-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Bowie Bailey

Default Aide error "Caught SIGBUS/SEGV"

One of my servers has recently started giving an error every time I run
"aide --check". I ran it manually twice today with the same results.
The second time, I added the -V flag, but that didn't give me anything
useful. The system is currently running CentOS 5.3.

Nothing on the system has changed recently (that I am aware of). The
Aide database hasn't been updated in a few months.

This is the error I am seeing:

Caught SIGBUS/SEGV while mmapping. File was truncated while aide was
running?
Caught SIGBUS/SEGV. Exiting

I tried Googling for it, but didn't find anything helpful.

Any ideas?

--
Bowie

Old 05-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Bowie Bailey

Bowie Bailey wrote:
> One of my servers has recently started giving an error every time I run
> "aide --check". I ran it manually twice today with the same results.
> The second time, I added the -V flag, but that didn't give me anything
> useful. The system is currently running CentOS 5.3.
>
> Nothing on the system has changed recently (that I am aware of). The
> Aide database hasn't been updated in a few months.
>
> This is the error I am seeing:
>
> Caught SIGBUS/SEGV while mmapping. File was truncated while aide was
> running?
> Caught SIGBUS/SEGV. Exiting
>
> I tried Googling for it, but didn't find anything helpful.
>
> Any ideas?

I'm still getting this on every run. No answers here or on the Aide
list so far. Anyone have any ideas?

--
Bowie

Old 05-07-2010, 02:32 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

Suggest: Rename your current database, and aide -i to build a new one,
the aide -c to check it.
If that works (aide -c on new database) I'd suspect (pulling stray
thoughts out of /dev/chaos) that your current data base is corrupt
enough that you can't check it.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:35 PM

Brian wrote:

> [...]
<snip>
> Suggest: Rename your current database, and aide -i to build a new one,
> the aide -c to check it.
> If that works (aide -c on new database) I'd suspect (pulling stray
> thoughts out of /dev/chaos) that your current data base is corrupt
> enough that you can't check it.

I *assume* you've made sure that the filesystem isn't full.

mark, who had to deal with someone doing that today

Old 05-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Bowie Bailey

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Brian wrote:

Yes, I have 46G available, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I will try re-initializing the database. That's a good idea that hadn't
occurred to me for whatever reason...

--
Bowie

Old 05-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Bowie Bailey

Bowie Bailey wrote:
> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

No dice. I tried running 'aide --init' and it died with the exact same
error.

Maybe I should just try reinstalling it. Any other ideas?

--
Bowie

Old 05-07-2010, 04:41 PM

> Bowie Bailey wrote:
>> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

<snip>

>> I will try re-initializing the database. That's a good idea that hadn't
>> occurred to me for whatever reason...
>>
> No dice. I tried running 'aide --init' and it died with the exact same
> error.
>
> Maybe I should just try reinstalling it. Any other ideas?

mysqldump. Have you looked at the logs for mysql itelf?

mark

Old 05-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Bowie Bailey

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Bowie Bailey wrote:

> <snip>

>>> I will try re-initializing the database. That's a good idea that hadn't
>>> occurred to me for whatever reason...
>>>

>> No dice. I tried running 'aide --init' and it died with the exact same
>> error.
>>
>> Maybe I should just try reinstalling it. Any other ideas?
>>

> mysqldump. Have you looked at the logs for mysql itelf?

What does mysql have to do with it? I don't have mysql installed on
this machine.

However, the comment about looking at the logs pointed me to a related
issue. I am seeing this in my logs:

kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
kernel: dm-0: rw=0, want=4344463064, limit=126550016

Looks like I may have some corruption on the disk. When I get a chance,
I'll take it down and run fsck to see if that will help.

--
Bowie

Old 05-07-2010, 05:56 PM

> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

>> <snip>

>>> No dice. I tried running 'aide --init' and it died with the exact same
>>> error.
>>>
>>> Maybe I should just try reinstalling it. Any other ideas?
>>>
>> mysqldump. Have you looked at the logs for mysql itelf?
>>
> What does mysql have to do with it? I don't have mysql installed on
> this machine.

Sorry, don't know aide, but you mentioned a database. I was suggesting, in
a broader sense, dumping the database to a backup and rebuilding the
*entire* d/b, including the control files.

> However, the comment about looking at the logs pointed me to a related
> issue. I am seeing this in my logs:
>
> kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
> kernel: dm-0: rw=0, want=4344463064, limit=126550016
>
> Looks like I may have some corruption on the disk. When I get a chance,
> I'll take it down and run fsck to see if that will help.

Ack! No, that doesn't look good at all. It's almost as though the disk is
full, or there's something that makes the kernel think it is.

mark

Old 05-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Gary Greene

On 5/7/10 10:56 AM, "m.roth@5-cent.us" <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> mysqldump. Have you looked at the logs for mysql itelf?
>>>
>> What does mysql have to do with it? I don't have mysql installed on
>> this machine.
>
> Sorry, don't know aide, but you mentioned a database. I was suggesting, in
> a broader sense, dumping the database to a backup and rebuilding the
> *entire* d/b, including the control files.
>>
>> However, the comment about looking at the logs pointed me to a related
>> issue. I am seeing this in my logs:
>>
>> kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
>> kernel: dm-0: rw=0, want=4344463064, limit=126550016
>>
>> Looks like I may have some corruption on the disk. When I get a chance,
>> I'll take it down and run fsck to see if that will help.
>
> Ack! No, that doesn't look good at all. It's almost as though the disk is
> full, or there's something that makes the kernel think it is.
>
> mark

Check the inode allocation on this box, it might well be that you have
_space_, just no available inodes.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
IT Operations