Old 04-29-2010, 05:19 PM

Default Building an install disk on a USB key, solved

Ok, there's been discussion, including, I think, on the wiki web page,
that syslinux is not correct. At any rate, after enough experimentation, I
have a working install on a USB key. The procedure is:

Using fdisk, partition your key: one partition, VFAT (type b, and toggle
the bootable flag), about 9M or 10M, and a second partition big enough to
hold a DVD. That should be type 83 (Linux native).

mkfs -t vfat <the DOS partition)
mkfs <the Linux partition

liveCD-iso-to-disk <.iso, w/ full path> /dev/<USB DOS partition>
mount <USB Linux partition> /mnt
cp <CentOS.iso> /mnt/

You're done. You do have to tell it "install from hard disk", and then
point it to the Linux partition.

I just did this and tested it (or at least as far as the "searching for
existing CentOS installations).

mark

Old 05-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Bowie Bailey

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Ok, there's been discussion, including, I think, on the wiki web page,
> that syslinux is not correct. At any rate, after enough experimentation, I
> have a working install on a USB key. The procedure is:
>
> Using fdisk, partition your key: one partition, VFAT (type b, and toggle
> the bootable flag), about 9M or 10M, and a second partition big enough to
> hold a DVD. That should be type 83 (Linux native).
>
> mkfs -t vfat <the DOS partition)
> mkfs <the Linux partition
>
> liveCD-iso-to-disk <.iso, w/ full path> /dev/<USB DOS partition>
> mount <USB Linux partition> /mnt
> cp <CentOS.iso> /mnt/
>
> You're done. You do have to tell it "install from hard disk", and then
> point it to the Linux partition.
>
> I just did this and tested it (or at least as far as the "searching for
> existing CentOS installations).

Following these instructions, what iso do I use for the
livecd-iso-to-disk step?

--
Bowie

Old 05-21-2010, 03:02 PM

> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Ok, there's been discussion, including, I think, on the wiki web page,
>> that syslinux is not correct. At any rate, after enough experimentation,
>> I have a working install on a USB key. The procedure is:
>>
>> Using fdisk, partition your key: one partition, VFAT (type b, and toggle
>> the bootable flag), about 9M or 10M, and a second partition big enough
>> to hold a DVD. That should be type 83 (Linux native).
>>
>> mkfs -t vfat <the DOS partition)
>> mkfs <the Linux partition
>>
>> liveCD-iso-to-disk <.iso, w/ full path> /dev/<USB DOS partition>
>> mount <USB Linux partition> /mnt
>> cp <CentOS.iso> /mnt/
>>
>> You're done. You do have to tell it "install from hard disk", and then
>> point it to the Linux partition.
>>
>> I just did this and tested it (or at least as far as the "searching for
>> existing CentOS installations).
>>
> Following these instructions, what iso do I use for the
> livecd-iso-to-disk step?

I used the full, one DVD .iso.

mark

Old 05-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Bowie Bailey

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, there's been discussion, including, I think, on the wiki web page,
>>> that syslinux is not correct. At any rate, after enough experimentation,
>>> I have a working install on a USB key. The procedure is:
>>>
>>> Using fdisk, partition your key: one partition, VFAT (type b, and toggle
>>> the bootable flag), about 9M or 10M, and a second partition big enough
>>> to hold a DVD. That should be type 83 (Linux native).
>>>
>>> mkfs -t vfat <the DOS partition)
>>> mkfs <the Linux partition
>>>
>>> liveCD-iso-to-disk <.iso, w/ full path> /dev/<USB DOS partition>
>>> mount <USB Linux partition> /mnt
>>> cp <CentOS.iso> /mnt/
>>>
>>> You're done. You do have to tell it "install from hard disk", and then
>>> point it to the Linux partition.
>>>
>>> I just did this and tested it (or at least as far as the "searching for
>>> existing CentOS installations).
>>>

>> Following these instructions, what iso do I use for the
>> livecd-iso-to-disk step?
>>

> I used the full, one DVD .iso.

That doesn't work for me.

# livecd-iso-to-disk /home/bowieb/CentOS-5.5-i386-bin-DVD.iso /dev/sda1
Verifying image...
/home/bowieb/CentOS-5.5-i386-bin-DVD.iso:
97c0b2ed5d08f0e24e1e516362059032
Fragment sums:
67686679ec95a9255099cbed11cc51d998abee91a1f91fc7a2 361554e54e
Fragment count: 20
Percent complete: 100.0% Fragment[20/20] -> OK
100.0
The supported flag value is 0
The media check is complete, the result is: PASS.

It is OK to install from this media.
Unable to fit live image + overlay on available space on USB stick
Size of live image: 3991
Overlay size:
Available space: 13
Cleaning up to exit...

The DVD iso is 4GB and the DOS partition is only 10M (per your
instructions). Shouldn't the boot.iso or something else go here?

--
Bowie

Old 05-21-2010, 03:29 PM

Boweie wrote:
> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Bowie wrote:

>>> Following these instructions, what iso do I use for the
>>> livecd-iso-to-disk step?
>
>> I used the full, one DVD .iso.
>
> That doesn't work for me.
>
> # livecd-iso-to-disk /home/bowieb/CentOS-5.5-i386-bin-DVD.iso
> /dev/sda1
> Verifying image...
> /home/bowieb/CentOS-5.5-i386-bin-DVD.iso:
> 97c0b2ed5d08f0e24e1e516362059032
> Fragment sums:
> 67686679ec95a9255099cbed11cc51d998abee91a1f91fc7a2 361554e54e
> Fragment count: 20
> Percent complete: 100.0% Fragment[20/20] -> OK
> 100.0
> The supported flag value is 0
> The media check is complete, the result is: PASS.
>
> It is OK to install from this media.
> Unable to fit live image + overlay on available space on USB stick
> Size of live image: 3991
> Overlay size:
> Available space: 13
> Cleaning up to exit...
>
> The DVD iso is 4GB and the DOS partition is only 10M (per your
> instructions). Shouldn't the boot.iso or something else go here?

Not sure what's going on there. liveCD-iso-to-disk dd's (or whatever) a
bootable vfat (or is it fat?) filesystem, and *only* enough to boot the
installer. The full DVD .iso goes in the other partition, which you've
mkfs'd, just as a .iso.

mark

Old 05-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Bowie Bailey

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Boweie wrote:
>
>> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

>>> I used the full, one DVD .iso.
>>>
>> That doesn't work for me.
>>
>> # livecd-iso-to-disk /home/bowieb/CentOS-5.5-i386-bin-DVD.iso
>> /dev/sda1
>> Verifying image...
>> /home/bowieb/CentOS-5.5-i386-bin-DVD.iso:
>> 97c0b2ed5d08f0e24e1e516362059032
>> Fragment sums:
>> 67686679ec95a9255099cbed11cc51d998abee91a1f91fc7a2 361554e54e
>> Fragment count: 20
>> Percent complete: 100.0% Fragment[20/20] -> OK
>> 100.0
>> The supported flag value is 0
>> The media check is complete, the result is: PASS.
>>
>> It is OK to install from this media.
>> Unable to fit live image + overlay on available space on USB stick
>> Size of live image: 3991
>> Overlay size:
>> Available space: 13
>> Cleaning up to exit...
>>
>> The DVD iso is 4GB and the DOS partition is only 10M (per your
>> instructions). Shouldn't the boot.iso or something else go here?
>>

> Not sure what's going on there. liveCD-iso-to-disk dd's (or whatever) a
> bootable vfat (or is it fat?) filesystem, and *only* enough to boot the
> installer. The full DVD .iso goes in the other partition, which you've
> mkfs'd, just as a .iso.

Maybe I'm using the wrong script. I have livecd-iso-to-disk from the
livecd-tools-014-8 package. Is liveCD-iso-to-disk a different script?

--
Bowie

Old 05-21-2010, 04:50 PM

Bowie wrote:
> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Bowie wrote:

<snip>

>>> That doesn't work for me.
>>>
>>> # livecd-iso-to-disk /home/bowieb/CentOS-5.5-i386-bin-DVD.iso
>>> /dev/sda1
>>> Verifying image...
>>> /home/bowieb/CentOS-5.5-i386-bin-DVD.iso:
>>> 97c0b2ed5d08f0e24e1e516362059032
>>> Fragment sums:
>>> 67686679ec95a9255099cbed11cc51d998abee91a1f91fc7a2 361554e54e
>>> Fragment count: 20
>>> Percent complete: 100.0% Fragment[20/20] -> OK
>>> 100.0
>>> The supported flag value is 0
>>> The media check is complete, the result is: PASS.
>>>
>>> It is OK to install from this media.
>>> Unable to fit live image + overlay on available space on USB stick
>>> Size of live image: 3991
>>> Overlay size:
>>> Available space: 13
>>> Cleaning up to exit...
>>>
>>> The DVD iso is 4GB and the DOS partition is only 10M (per your
>>> instructions). Shouldn't the boot.iso or something else go here?
>>
>> Not sure what's going on there. liveCD-iso-to-disk dd's (or whatever) a
>> bootable vfat (or is it fat?) filesystem, and *only* enough to boot the
>> installer. The full DVD .iso goes in the other partition, which you've
>> mkfs'd, just as a .iso.
>>
> Maybe I'm using the wrong script. I have livecd-iso-to-disk from the
> livecd-tools-014-8 package. Is liveCD-iso-to-disk a different script?

Odd. I don't understand that... you *did* make the filesystem type b,
right, and bootable with fdisk? And then format it vfat?

Btw, dunno if you missed it, but here's a full script to do this:

#!/bin/bash

if [[ $# < 2 ]]; then
echo "usage: $0 <devname> <path/to/install.iso>"
echo " Example: $0 sdb /scratch/CentOS-5.4-bin-DVD.iso"
echo " Note: you must install livecd-tools before running this."
exit
fi

/sbin/sfdisk -n -uM /dev/$1 << EOF
,10,b,*
,,83
;
;
EOF

mkfs -t vfat /dev/${1}1
mkfs /dev/${1}2

/usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk $2 /dev/${1}1
mount /dev/${1}2 /mnt
cp $2 /mnt/
# end of script

mark

Old 05-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Bowie Bailey

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Bowie wrote:
>
>> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

>>> Not sure what's going on there. liveCD-iso-to-disk dd's (or whatever) a
>>> bootable vfat (or is it fat?) filesystem, and *only* enough to boot the
>>> installer. The full DVD .iso goes in the other partition, which you've
>>> mkfs'd, just as a .iso.
>>>

>> Maybe I'm using the wrong script. I have livecd-iso-to-disk from the
>> livecd-tools-014-8 package. Is liveCD-iso-to-disk a different script?
>>

> Odd. I don't understand that... you *did* make the filesystem type b,
> right, and bootable with fdisk? And then format it vfat?
>
> Btw, dunno if you missed it, but here's a full script to do this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> if [[ $# < 2 ]]; then
> echo "usage: $0 <devname> <path/to/install.iso>"
> echo " Example: $0 sdb /scratch/CentOS-5.4-bin-DVD.iso"
> echo " Note: you must install livecd-tools before running this."
> exit
> fi
>
> /sbin/sfdisk -n -uM /dev/$1 << EOF
> ,10,b,*
> ,,83
> ;
> ;
> EOF
>
> mkfs -t vfat /dev/${1}1
> mkfs /dev/${1}2
>
> /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk $2 /dev/${1}1
> mount /dev/${1}2 /mnt
> cp $2 /mnt/
> # end of script

I used your script (after removing the '-n' from sfdisk) and got the
same results. Unless you have a better idea, I think I'm going to try
putting the boot.iso on the first partition and see what happens.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to test until tonight since I don't have
a system here that will boot from a flash drive.

--
Bowie

Old 05-21-2010, 05:29 PM

Bowie wrote:
> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Bowie wrote:

<snip>
>>> Maybe I'm using the wrong script. I have livecd-iso-to-disk from the
>>> livecd-tools-014-8 package. Is liveCD-iso-to-disk a different script?
>>
>> Odd. I don't understand that... you *did* make the filesystem type b,
>> right, and bootable with fdisk? And then format it vfat?
>>
>> Btw, dunno if you missed it, but here's a full script to do this:
<snip>
> I used your script (after removing the '-n' from sfdisk) and got the

Thank you! <shakes head at self> I just edited my little script to get rid
of it.

> same results. Unless you have a better idea, I think I'm going to try
> putting the boot.iso on the first partition and see what happens.
> Unfortunately, I won't be able to test until tonight since I don't have
> a system here that will boot from a flash drive.

Ok. Sorry, no clues as to why it's not working for you.

mark