Old 04-28-2010, 04:33 PM
fred smith

Default X11 problem with remote login via SSH

HI all!

Strange problem that began occurring in last few weeks.

Centos 5.4, up to date. I sometimes log in remotely via ssh using "ssh -X"
and read mail via mutt. Now and then I want to use balsa instead.

This has always worked (for years) though it's kinda slow...
but in the last few weeks it has begun failing and spewing errors like
this, repeatedly, apparently forever until I enter ^C:

$ balsa
Bonobo accessibility support initialized
GTK Accessibility Module initialized

** ERROR **: Accessibility app error: exception during registry activation from id: IDL:Bonobo/GeneralError:1.0

aborting...

It happens from two different linux boxen (one running Fedora 12, the
other running Centos 5.4) so I gather it's something weird on the host
rather than the client.

BTW, it works fine when I'm logged in to to the host's X11 GUI directly
from the machine.

I've got no clue, can any of you shed any light on this please?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Bill Campbell

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010, fred smith wrote:
>HI all!
>
>Strange problem that began occurring in last few weeks.
>
>Centos 5.4, up to date. I sometimes log in remotely via ssh using "ssh -X"
>and read mail via mutt. Now and then I want to use balsa instead.

Try ``ssh -Y' instead of ``ssh -X' and/or put this in your
ssh_config file:

ForwardX11Trusted yes

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186 Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Democracy must be sometihng more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what
to have for dinner -- James Bovard

Old 04-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/28/2010 2:39 PM, Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010, fred smith wrote:
>> HI all!
>>
>> Strange problem that began occurring in last few weeks.
>>
>> Centos 5.4, up to date. I sometimes log in remotely via ssh using "ssh -X"
>> and read mail via mutt. Now and then I want to use balsa instead.
>
> Try ``ssh -Y' instead of ``ssh -X' and/or put this in your
> ssh_config file:
>
> ForwardX11Trusted yes

Does anyone know what trusted actually means in this context?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com