Old 04-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Rudi Ahlers

Default how to reroute all ADSL traffic via another server on the internet?

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:06 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> AH! The light dawns! <g>
>
> Sounds to me as though you need to have the clients use the hosted system
> as their gateway, as though they're on a subnet, and have to go through
> the hosted system as a firewall (not a bad idea in itself). They need to
> *not* look directly out.
>
> Sounds like an iptables setup to route through the hosted system.
> Remember, if that works for you, that all the rules for blocking should
> happen *first* in /etc/sysconfig/iptables.
>
> * * * * *mark

Hi Mark,

That's right

But, I don't know how todo this, or what todo....... And I don't know
what to look for on the internet to help me with this either.

What makes it different that what I've setup before is that it's not
really a LAN anymore, so I can't just tell the ADSL connected server
to use the hosted server as gateway, I don't think that'll work.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 04-28-2010, 02:31 PM
John Doe

From: Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@gmail.com>
> Does anyone know, if it's possible to reroute all (i.e. HTTP /
> FTP / DNS / SMTP / POP3 / IMAP / etc) from an ADSL connected
> machine via another server, which is currently hosted with IS and
> has full internet access?
> i.e. Can I setup another machine, on a different public IP than the
> dynamic ADSL IP as default gw? OR do I need todo something on
> that machine to work as a router for such a setup?

Maybe you wann have a look at: http://lartc.org/howto/

JD

Old 04-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:32 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Rudy,
>
> Rudi wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:06 PM, *<m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>>
>>> AH! The light dawns! <g>
>>>
>>> Sounds to me as though you need to have the clients use the hosted
>>> system as their gateway, as though they're on a subnet, and have to go
>>> through the hosted system as a firewall (not a bad idea in itself). They
>>> need to *not* look directly out.
>>>
>>> Sounds like an iptables setup to route through the hosted system.
>>> Remember, if that works for you, that all the rules for blocking should
>>> happen *first* in /etc/sysconfig/iptables.
>>
>> That's right
>>
>> But, I don't know how todo this, or what todo....... And I don't know
>> what to look for on the internet to help me with this either.
>
> *sigh*
> I was just thinking about this, and I think the answer is
> $ route add -net 0.0.0.0 gw <hosted IP> eth0

ok, let's try ? this tells it to route all traffic, including my SSH
connection to the gateway, rigth. But, what do I need todo on the
gateway, since the gateway will route incoming & outgoing traffic over
the same interface, eth0

>> What makes it different that what I've setup before is that it's not
>> really a LAN anymore, so I can't just tell the ADSL connected server
>> to use the hosted server as gateway, I don't think that'll work.
>
> What's not really a LAN anymore - does the ADSL server have people using
> that as a gateway?

Yes, in this case there's 5 PC's behing the Linux gateway

Old 04-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Bart Schaefer

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> We, in South Africa sit with a huge problem in that our clients can't
> connect to the rest of the world cause SEACOM is down. i.e. our client
> can, for the past 3 days, only surf local (i.e. local in South Africa)
> websites, email, etc.
>
> So, I want to reroute all their traffic via one of our other servers
>
> <ADSL client> - <Limited internet> - <server> - <full internet>

I'm rather rusty on the details of this, but isn't the correct way to
handle this to have <server> publish an ARP route indicating that it
provides routing to (the IP space containing) <ADSL client>?

Any mere proxy or VPN hosted at <server> will allow <ADSL client> to
transparently establish connections, but won't allow <full internet>
to reach the IP address of <ADSL client> (nor anything else in
<Limited internet>). Maybe that's not needed here.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:31 PM, John Doe <jdmls@yahoo.com> wrote:
> From: Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@gmail.com>
>> Does anyone know, if it's possible to reroute all (i.e. HTTP /
>> FTP / DNS / SMTP / POP3 / IMAP / etc) from an ADSL connected
>> machine via another server, which is currently hosted with IS and
>> has full internet access?
>> i.e. Can I setup another machine, on a different public IP than the
>> dynamic ADSL IP as default gw? OR do I need todo something on
>> that machine to work as a router for such a setup?
>
> Maybe you wann have a look at: http://lartc.org/howto/
>
> JD

Thanx JD. I can't load the site though, what is on it?

Old 04-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Bart Schaefer
<barton.schaefer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> We, in South Africa sit with a huge problem in that our clients can't
>> connect to the rest of the world cause SEACOM is down. i.e. our client
>> can, for the past 3 days, only surf local (i.e. local in South Africa)
>> websites, email, etc.
>>
>> So, I want to reroute all their traffic via one of our other servers
>>
>> <ADSL client> - <Limited internet> - <server> - <full internet>
>
> I'm rather rusty on the details of this, but isn't the correct way to
> handle this to have <server> publish an ARP route indicating that it
> provides routing to (the IP space containing) <ADSL client>?
>
> Any mere proxy or VPN hosted at <server> will allow <ADSL client> to
> transparently establish connections, but won't allow <full internet>
> to reach the IP address of <ADSL client> (nor anything else in
> <Limited internet>). *Maybe that's not needed here.

I don't know either.......

And I haven't been able to install openvpn on the ADSL hosted server
either, so I want to try a gateway type setup