Old 04-28-2010, 02:06 PM

Default how to reroute all ADSL traffic via another server on the internet?

Rudi,

Rudi wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 3:49 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Rudi wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone know, if it's possible to reroute all (i.e. HTTP / FTP /
>>> DNS / SMTP / POP3 / IMAP / etc) from an ADSL connected machine via
>>> another server, which is currently hosted with IS and has full
>>> internet access?
>>>
>>> i.e. Can I setup another machine, on a different public IP than the
>>> dynamic ADSL IP as default gw? OR do I need todo something on that
>>> machine to work as a router for such a setup?
>> <snip>
>> I don't quite understand what you're asking. Do you mean
>> *<ADSL system><-><hosted system><->the 'Net
>> or do you mean
>> <the 'Net>-><hosted system>-><ADSL system>
>> ?
>> That is, are you trying to offer Web, FTP (BAD idea, use sftp or scp),
>> and email from your ADSL-connected server, or do you want to connect to
>> the 'Net via the hosted system?
>
> We, in South Africa sit with a huge problem in that our clients can't
> connect to the rest of the world cause SEACOM is down. i.e. our client
> can, for the past 3 days, only surf local (i.e. local in South Africa)
> websites, email, etc. We have a lot of client's servers hosted in the
> USA, so they can't reach their websites or email and business is
> standing still for them.
>
> So, I want to reroute all their traffic via one of our other servers
> which right now has got full internet access, as such:
>
> <ADSL client> - <Limited internet> - <server> - <full internet>
<snip>
AH! The light dawns! <g>

Sounds to me as though you need to have the clients use the hosted system
as their gateway, as though they're on a subnet, and have to go through
the hosted system as a firewall (not a bad idea in itself). They need to
*not* look directly out.

Sounds like an iptables setup to route through the hosted system.
Remember, if that works for you, that all the rules for blocking should
happen *first* in /etc/sysconfig/iptables.

mark

Old 04-28-2010, 02:32 PM

Rudy,

Rudi wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:06 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> AH! The light dawns! <g>
>>
>> Sounds to me as though you need to have the clients use the hosted
>> system as their gateway, as though they're on a subnet, and have to go
>> through the hosted system as a firewall (not a bad idea in itself). They
>> need to *not* look directly out.
>>
>> Sounds like an iptables setup to route through the hosted system.
>> Remember, if that works for you, that all the rules for blocking should
>> happen *first* in /etc/sysconfig/iptables.
>
> That's right
>
> But, I don't know how todo this, or what todo....... And I don't know
> what to look for on the internet to help me with this either.

*sigh*
I was just thinking about this, and I think the answer is
$ route add -net 0.0.0.0 gw <hosted IP> eth0

> What makes it different that what I've setup before is that it's not
> really a LAN anymore, so I can't just tell the ADSL connected server
> to use the hosted server as gateway, I don't think that'll work.

What's not really a LAN anymore - does the ADSL server have people using
that as a gateway?

mark

Old 04-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/28/2010 9:24 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM, zerlgi<zerlgi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Probably the easiest VPN to set up, but not terribly secure, is VTun.
>>
>> If you use (horrors) PPTP, then windows already has a client for it.
>> .. openVPN also has a nice Windows client that can be run as a service
>> at startup or called on demand.
>> .. openVPN supports multiple tunnels (one per .cfg file)
>> and can allow/disallow client-to-client traffic (something you'd
>> probably want to do)
>> ... so that if you have several companies connecting as clients to
>> your server (traffic redirector)
>> then they wouldn't be able to travel back down the VPN to a different client.
>>
>> ... in terms of implementation. e-box has one of the easiest OpenVPN setups.
>> it provides a self-extracting installer file to windows clients that
>> includes the configs and the client application.
>> Linux folk should be able to figure out where stuff goes.
>> (/etc/openvpn /usr/local/etc/openvpn)
>>

> Unfortunately I can't download& install OpenVPN on that box, so this
> won't be an option.
>
> Thanx for all the suggestions though.

The quick-fix is to run ssh with it's built in socks proxy mode,
assuming you have an ssh login on a better-connected host. If you 'ssh
-D portnumber user@remote_host', you can then configure socks-aware
applications to use localhostortnumber as a socks proxy and the
application's connections will appear to originate from the remote side
of the ssh connection. The down side is that you have to use
socks-aware applications or get a generic proxy client library preloaded
before the app.

A VPN with appropriate routing would do it transparently, but would need
to be installed and configured at both ends to work.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com