-   -   how to reroute all ADSL traffic via another server on the internet? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/363195-how-reroute-all-adsl-traffic-via-another-server-internet.html)

Rudi Ahlers 04-28-2010 01:33 PM

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Simon Billis <simon@houxou.com> wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers sent a missive on*2010-04-28:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone know, if it's possible to reroute all (i.e. HTTP / FTP /
>> DNS / SMTP / POP3 / IMAP / etc) from an ADSL connected machine via
>> another server, which is currently hosted with IS and has full
>> internet access?
>>

>> i.e. Can I setup another machine, on a different public IP than the
>> dynamic ADSL IP as default gw? OR do I need todo something on that
>> machine to work as a router for such a setup?
>>
>> Both servers in this case is CentOS linux, but I'm sure that won't
>> make a big difference?
>>

> In principal yes you can do this type of thing. You'll have to enable
> ipforwarding on the gateway machine as a minimum.
>
> Can you provide more information about your networking setup - ip addresses
> and subnet masks, with an ascii drawing as well would help if you think it
> relevant :-), then we can provide detailed answers :-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon.

Hi Simon,

Thanx for the help :)

The ADSL connected server currently runs on 196.210.176.x, and the
internet connected server runs on 196.34.136.109

So, there's not on the same subnets, by a mile. In fact, the 2 servers
are seperated by about 30Km's, but I can get into both via the
interner.

Would ipforwarding still work, since I want to reroute all packets on
eth0 of 196.34.136.109 in, and back out?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

cahit Eyigünlü 04-28-2010 01:35 PM

how to reroute all ADSL traffic via another server on the internet?

Open vpn is a nice solution in my opinion

Rudi Ahlers 04-28-2010 01:55 PM

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 3:49 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Rudi wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know, if it's possible to reroute all (i.e. HTTP / FTP /
>> DNS / SMTP / POP3 / IMAP / etc) from an ADSL connected machine via
>> another server, which is currently hosted with IS and has full
>> internet access?
>>
>> i.e. Can I setup another machine, on a different public IP than the
>> dynamic ADSL IP as default gw? OR do I need todo something on that
>> machine to work as a router for such a setup?
> <snip>
> I don't quite understand what you're asking. Do you mean
> *<ADSL system><-><hosted system><->the 'Net
> or do you mean
> <the 'Net>-><hosted system>-><ADSL system>
> ?
> That is, are you trying to offer Web, FTP (BAD idea, use sftp or scp), and
> email from your ADSL-connected server, or do you want to connect to the
> 'Net via the hosted system?
>
> * * *mark

Mark,

We, in South Africa sit with a huge problem in that our clients can't
connect to the rest of the world cause SEACOM is down. i.e. our client
can, for the past 3 days, only surf local (i.e. local in South Africa)
websites, email, etc. We have a lot of client's servers hosted in the
USA, so they can't reach their websites or email and business is
standing still for them.

So, I want to reroute all their traffic via one of our other servers
which right now has got full internet access, as such:

<ADSL client> - <Limited internet> - <server> - <full internet>

I already setup squid for this and it works great, but doesn't proxy
SMTP / POP3 / Skype / IM / RDP / etc etc. And I don't want to setup a
proxy service for evey service imaginible.

Eero Volotinen 04-28-2010 01:59 PM

how to reroute all ADSL traffic via another server on the internet?

2010/4/28 Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 3:49 PM, *<m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Rudi wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone know, if it's possible to reroute all (i.e. HTTP / FTP /
>>> DNS / SMTP / POP3 / IMAP / etc) from an ADSL connected machine via
>>> another server, which is currently hosted with IS and has full
>>> internet access?
>>>
>>> i.e. Can I setup another machine, on a different public IP than the
>>> dynamic ADSL IP as default gw? OR do I need todo something on that
>>> machine to work as a router for such a setup?
>> <snip>
>> I don't quite understand what you're asking. Do you mean
>> *<ADSL system><-><hosted system><->the 'Net
>> or do you mean
>> <the 'Net>-><hosted system>-><ADSL system>
>> ?
>> That is, are you trying to offer Web, FTP (BAD idea, use sftp or scp), and
>> email from your ADSL-connected server, or do you want to connect to the
>> 'Net via the hosted system?
>>
>> * * *mark

> Mark,
>
> We, in South Africa sit with a huge problem in that our clients can't
> connect to the rest of the world cause SEACOM is down. i.e. our client
> can, for the past 3 days, only surf local (i.e. local in South Africa)
> websites, email, etc. We have a lot of client's servers hosted in the
> USA, so they can't reach their websites or email and business is
> standing still for them.
>

> So, I want to reroute all their traffic via one of our other servers
> which right now has got full internet access, as such:
>

> <ADSL client> - <Limited internet> - <server> - <full internet>
>

> I already setup squid for this and it works great, but doesn't proxy
> SMTP / POP3 / Skype / IM / RDP / etc etc. And I don't want to setup a
> proxy service for evey service imaginible.

how about ipsec / openvpn tunnel and routing traffic via it?

--
Eero,
RHCE

Rudi Ahlers 04-28-2010 02:02 PM

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi> wrote:

> how about ipsec / openvpn tunnel and routing traffic via it?
>
> --
> Eero,
> RHCE

I don't know, since I've never setup one ;)

The trickey part, which I don't understand, is how will this work.

i.e. I SSH into ADSL client's machine, and setup the VPN. The VPN then
connects to our linux server which now acts as gateway. How do I tell
the client's linux server to rout all traffic (apart from my SSH
connection, otherwise I get cut-off) via the VPN, and not via the same
ADSL line on top of which the VPN runs?