-   -   vmware-server-console not installed (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/362206-vmware-server-console-not-installed.html)

Agnello George 04-26-2010 05:36 PM

vmware-server-console not installed

I had installed the vmware server ( VMware-server-2.0.1-156745.i386 ) on my CentOS 5 box how ever i am not able to* to find the command vmware-server-console . Do i need to install that RPM separately .

Thanks*

--
Regards
Agnello D'souza

Rainer Duffner 04-26-2010 05:45 PM

Am 26.04.2010 um 19:36 schrieb Agnello George:

> I had installed the vmware server ( VMware-
> server-2.0.1-156745.i386 ) on my CentOS 5 box how ever i am not able
> to to find the command vmware-server-console . Do i need to install
> that RPM separately .

v2.0 uses a servlet running on an included tomcat container for
administration-tasks.
It boils down to a plugin that runs in Firefox and only on Linux
+Windows.

It's slow as a snail.

Rainer

Les Mikesell 04-26-2010 05:48 PM

On 4/26/2010 12:36 PM, Agnello George wrote:
> I had installed the vmware server ( VMware-server-2.0.1-156745.i386 ) on
> my CentOS 5 box how ever i am not able to to find the command
> vmware-server-console . Do i need to install that RPM separately .

The 2.x server doesn't have a separate console program like the 1.x
series did - remote access is browser-based. Connect via http on port
8882 or https on 8883. But, there are problems with the glibc library
in RHEL/CentOS5 updates that may not be resolved yet. Do you even have
the server running?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Kwan Lowe 04-26-2010 05:52 PM

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/26/2010 12:36 PM, Agnello George wrote:
>> I had installed the vmware server ( VMware-server-2.0.1-156745.i386 ) on
>> my CentOS 5 box how ever i am not able to *to find the command
>> vmware-server-console . Do i need to install that RPM separately .
>
> The 2.x server doesn't have a separate console program like the 1.x
> series did - remote access is browser-based. *Connect via http on port
> 8882 or https on 8883. *But, there are problems with the glibc library
> in RHEL/CentOS5 updates that may not be resolved yet. *Do you even have
> the server running?

There's the glibc issue that's still unresolved. There's another
issue with using Firefox as the admin client. It *might* let you in,
but the console plugin doesn't appear to be working again. Only client
that works for me is InternetExploder.

Rainer Duffner 04-26-2010 06:01 PM

Am 26.04.2010 um 19:52 schrieb Kwan Lowe:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Les Mikesell
> <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 4/26/2010 12:36 PM, Agnello George wrote:
>>> I had installed the vmware server ( VMware-
>>> server-2.0.1-156745.i386 ) on
>>> my CentOS 5 box how ever i am not able to to find the command
>>> vmware-server-console . Do i need to install that RPM separately .
>>
>> The 2.x server doesn't have a separate console program like the 1.x
>> series did - remote access is browser-based. Connect via http on
>> port
>> 8882 or https on 8883. But, there are problems with the glibc
>> library
>> in RHEL/CentOS5 updates that may not be resolved yet. Do you even
>> have
>> the server running?
>
> There's the glibc issue that's still unresolved. There's another
> issue with using Firefox as the admin client. It *might* let you in,
> but the console plugin doesn't appear to be working again. Only client
> that works for me is InternetExploder.

I switched to ESX4i and use a Windows VM with VI-Client to manage it -
there's no other way to do it, unfortunately.
For something that works on Windows exclusively (Dot-Net...), it's
horribly slow and buggy.
I don't see how a Java-solution would have been slower.

Rainer

Les Mikesell 04-26-2010 06:50 PM

On 4/26/2010 1:01 PM, Rainer Duffner wrote:

> I switched to ESX4i and use a Windows VM with VI-Client to manage it -
> there's no other way to do it, unfortunately.
> For something that works on Windows exclusively (Dot-Net...), it's
> horribly slow and buggy.
> I don't see how a Java-solution would have been slower.

You only need the client up to the point where you get the network set
up. Then you can switch to a better native remote access method
directly to the guest target, like ssh/freenx for Centos, remote
desktop/vnc for windows - just like you would with a physical machine.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

"Dan Irwin" 04-26-2010 11:57 PM

vmware-server-console not installed

So that's why the management interfaces from vmware 2 appear to keep
crashing!

Also, the console plugin seems to work fine in Firefox on Fedora 12, for
me anyway.

Gary Greene 04-27-2010 12:05 AM

On 4/26/10 4:57 PM, "Dan Irwin" <dan@jackies.com.au> wrote:

> [...]

The current work around is to downgrade glibc to that of 5.3, at least until
the next update from VMWare comes out that should fix this issue.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
IT Operations

John Thomas 04-27-2010 12:18 AM

Agnello George wrote:
> I had installed the vmware server ( VMware-server-2.0.1-156745.i386 ) on
> my CentOS 5 box how ever i am not able to to find the command
> vmware-server-console . Do i need to install that RPM separately .

The console app is a Firefox plugin, but I extract the app and run it
separately and find that solution (hack?) much better.

From memory, here is how you do that:
1. Get a copy of vmware-vmrc-linux-x86.xpi (mine was in
/usr/lib/vmware/webAccess/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.16/webapps/ui/plugin/vmware-vmrc-linux-x86.xpi)
2. Rename the file to vmware-vmrc-linux-x86.xpi.zip
3. Unzip the file

Now run vmware-vmrc or pass some info like capitalized below:
vmware-vmrc -h HOST:PORT -u USER -p PASSWORD

--
Sincerely,
John Thomas

Kwan Lowe 04-27-2010 01:52 AM

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Dan Irwin <dan@jackies.com.au> wrote:

> So that's why the management interfaces from vmware 2 appear to keep
> crashing!
>
> Also, the console plugin seems to work fine in Firefox on Fedora 12, for
> me anyway.

Firefox 3.5.x appears to be working. F3.6.x has some issues.