Old 04-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Les Mikesell

Default vmware-server-console not installed

On 4/28/2010 12:55 PM, JohnS wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 12:39 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> Running the VMware converter
>> tool from an old Dell Win2k server with an IDE disk to produce an ESXi
>> image went through the motions but the image wouldn't boot - but doing
>> the same thing to a vmware server (v1) image file over a network share
>> worked. Has anyone seen that before?
> ---
> Well for those that must have a Windows OS heres the hack:
>
> You must go to microsoft.com search for the tools to allow that. What
> it does is Relax The Windows IDE Checks so the disk or image can be used
> as a VM or on other hardware. You must also have the same ACPI Options
> in your hypervisor.
>
> This must be done before you use the vmware tools to create the image.

Thanks - I assumed it had something to do with the old style bios
geometry because I can boot the VM with a linux rescue disk and see what
I expect, but the boot loader can't find it. What seems odd to me is
that it works fine when the conversion is to a VMware server image file
but not when going directly to ESXi (which I'd expect to be smarter). I
haven't tried it yet, but I'll bet that I can run the converter again,
using the .vmx as the source and ESXi as the target and it will work
without any changes to the windows OS.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-28-2010, 06:28 PM
JohnS

> On 4/28/2010 12:55 PM, JohnS wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 12:39 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >
> >> Running the VMware converter
> >> tool from an old Dell Win2k server with an IDE disk to produce an ESXi
> >> image went through the motions but the image wouldn't boot - but doing
> >> the same thing to a vmware server (v1) image file over a network share
> >> worked. Has anyone seen that before?
> > ---
> > Well for those that must have a Windows OS heres the hack:
> >
> > You must go to microsoft.com search for the tools to allow that. What
> > it does is Relax The Windows IDE Checks so the disk or image can be used
> > as a VM or on other hardware. You must also have the same ACPI Options
> > in your hypervisor.
> >
> > This must be done before you use the vmware tools to create the image.
>
> Thanks - I assumed it had something to do with the old style bios
> geometry because I can boot the VM with a linux rescue disk and see what
> I expect, but the boot loader can't find it. What seems odd to me is
> that it works fine when the conversion is to a VMware server image file
> but not when going directly to ESXi (which I'd expect to be smarter). I
> haven't tried it yet, but I'll bet that I can run the converter again,
> using the .vmx as the source and ESXi as the target and it will work
> without any changes to the windows OS.
--

Well, thinking in that term it should work. Lets us know. I do know
when I first tried it doing images from real hardware is when I hit the

John

Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/28/2010 1:16 PM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> Running the VMware converter
>> tool from an old Dell Win2k server with an IDE disk to produce an ESXi
>> image went through the motions but the image wouldn't boot - but doing
>> the same thing to a vmware server (v1) image file over a network share
>> worked. Has anyone seen that before?
>
> Never used Server, but I use ESXi and I know what your issue is: Mass Storage
> Drivers, you need to make sure the Critical Device Database is populated with
> the driver in the destination system, such as an LSI SCSI or SAS and that that
> service start type is set to "boot".
>
> Install the driver then add it to the crit dev db in:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlCr iticalDeviceDatabase
>
> Follow one of the necessarily existing PCI#VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx for syntax.
>
> Change the Service Start Type:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServices
nnn

>> From probably 4 to 0.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/103000
>
> I use the LSI SAS for everything...
>
> jlc
>
> Ps. I think the current version of ESXi allows an ide controller to avoid this...

I've seen that - and it gives a windows blue-screen. This is some other
problem that doesn't even get past the bios boot loader. I did tell the
converter to keep the source disk controller type - and when going to
ESXi it can install vmware tools on the fly which should fix up the
drivers once you get that far.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/28/2010 1:28 PM, JohnS wrote:

>>> ---
>>> Well for those that must have a Windows OS heres the hack:
>>>
>>> You must go to microsoft.com search for the tools to allow that. What
>>> it does is Relax The Windows IDE Checks so the disk or image can be used
>>> as a VM or on other hardware. You must also have the same ACPI Options
>>> in your hypervisor.
>>>
>>> This must be done before you use the vmware tools to create the image.
>>
>> Thanks - I assumed it had something to do with the old style bios
>> geometry because I can boot the VM with a linux rescue disk and see what
>> I expect, but the boot loader can't find it. What seems odd to me is
>> that it works fine when the conversion is to a VMware server image file
>> but not when going directly to ESXi (which I'd expect to be smarter). I
>> haven't tried it yet, but I'll bet that I can run the converter again,
>> using the .vmx as the source and ESXi as the target and it will work
>> without any changes to the windows OS.
> --
>
> Well, thinking in that term it should work. Lets us know. I do know
> when I first tried it doing images from real hardware is when I hit the
> problem. VM to VM should work in theory.

Yep - running live->image, then image->ESXi worked where the direct
live->ESXi did not. I had 2 IDE based Dell machines like that (one had
the hidden Dell recovery partition, one didn't) but a similar-vintage
Dell SCSI worked fine with the direct conversion. I tried an assortment
of mbr/boot fixups on the failing conversions but none worked - another
guy poked around a little more and thought it had the bios C/H/S
settings wrong in the direct conversion.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com