Old 04-27-2010, 02:05 AM
Brian Mathis

Default vmware-server-console not installed

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Gary Greene
<ggreene@minervanetworks.com> wrote:
> On 4/26/10 4:57 PM, "Dan Irwin" <dan@jackies.com.au> wrote:

You don't need to downgrade for the whole OS, you can just do it for
VMware. See the procedure in the first comment in this bug
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3884. I have done that and it
works fine. Just remember that if you update vmware, the edits to
vmware-hostd will be undone, so you need to redo them.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 AM
"Dan Irwin"

> From memory, here is how you do that:
> 1. Get a copy of vmware-vmrc-linux-x86.xpi (mine was in
>/usr/lib/vmware/webAccess/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.16/webapps/u
i/plugin/vmware-vmrc-linux-x86.xpi)
> 2. Rename the file to vmware-vmrc-linux-x86.xpi.zip
> 3. Unzip the file
>
>Now run vmware-vmrc or pass some info like capitalized below:
>vmware-vmrc -h HOST:PORT -u USER -p PASSWORD

That's really cool, and probably way more elegant than using the web
browser plugin.

Cheers,

Dan

Old 04-27-2010, 03:19 AM
"Dan Irwin"

>You don't need to downgrade for the whole OS, you can just do it for
>VMware. See the procedure in the first comment in this bug
>http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3884. I have done that and it
>works fine. Just remember that if you update vmware, the edits to
>vmware-hostd will be undone, so you need to redo them.

Thanks for the mantis link, it was very informative.

Cheers,

Dan

Old 04-27-2010, 06:52 AM
Agnello George

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Dan Irwin <dan@jackies.com.au> wrote:

>You don't need to downgrade for the whole OS, you can just do it for

>VMware. *See the procedure in the first comment in this bug

>http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3884. *I have done that and it

>works fine. *Just remember that if you update vmware, the edits to

>vmware-hostd will be undone, so you need to redo them.

Thanks for the mantis link, it was very informative.

Cheers,

Dan

so many replies ... so my best option is to install* VMware-server-1 ???*
--
Regards
Agnello D'souza

Old 04-27-2010, 08:39 AM

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Dan Irwin <dan@jackies.com.au> wrote:

> so many replies ...
> so my best option is to install VMware-server-1 ???

- Doesn't work on RHEL5 (only RHEL4u3 or u4?)
- supported guest-OSs: similarly ancient

If it's a server, I'd go for ESX4i right away (if the hardware is
supported - but if you have a decent NIC, it should not be a problem)
For a workstation, go Virtual-Box, if you don't have much legacy stuff
sitting around.

Regards,
Rainer

Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Kwan Lowe

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM, John Thomas
<gmane-2006-04-16@jt-socal.com> wrote:
> Agnello George wrote:
>> I had installed the vmware server ( VMware-server-2.0.1-156745.i386 ) on
>> my CentOS 5 box how ever i am not able to *to find the command
>> vmware-server-console . Do i need to install that RPM separately .
>
> The console app is a Firefox plugin, but I extract the app and run it
> separately and find that solution (hack?) much better.
>
> *From memory, here is how you do that:
> * 1. Get a copy of vmware-vmrc-linux-x86.xpi (mine was in
> /usr/lib/vmware/webAccess/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.16/webapps/ui/plugin/vmware-vmrc-linux-x86.xpi)
> * 2. Rename the file to vmware-vmrc-linux-x86.xpi.zip
> * 3. Unzip the file
>
> Now run vmware-vmrc or pass some info like capitalized below:
> vmware-vmrc -h HOST:PORT -u USER -p PASSWORD

Awesome!!! Just tried it and it works wonderfully. Now I don't need
to boot into that XP partition anymore... Thank you!

Old 04-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Les Mikesell

rainer@ultra-secure.de wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Dan Irwin <dan@jackies.com.au> wrote:
>
>> so many replies ...
>> so my best option is to install VMware-server-1 ???
>

> - Doesn't work on RHEL5 (only RHEL4u3 or u4?)
> - supported guest-OSs: similarly ancient

I have some VMware-server 1.x versions running under Centos5.4 - and have Centos
5.4 running as a guest. I haven't had much trouble with it other than
vmware-config.pl having to recompile the kernel module after every update.

> If it's a server, I'd go for ESX4i right away (if the hardware is
> supported - but if you have a decent NIC, it should not be a problem)

Have to agree with that - ESXi is better, but then you have to run everything on
the guests. Where I'm running Server the host also runs some apps.

> For a workstation, go Virtual-Box, if you don't have much legacy stuff
> sitting around.

VMware Player might also be a reasonable choice if you are running things
locally and always want the console attached to the session.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-27-2010, 03:29 PM
"Gary Greene"

Old 04-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/27/2010 10:29 AM, Gary Greene wrote:

>> You don't need to downgrade for the whole OS, you can just do it for
>> VMware. See the procedure in the first comment in this bug
>> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3884. I have done that and it
>> works fine. Just remember that if you update vmware, the edits to
>> vmware-hostd will be undone, so you need to redo them.
>

> I'm not "downgrading the whole OS" only GLibC, Timezone, and NSCD packages. Once I did that, the latest version of VMWare Server loads just fine.

Does anyone else think it is extremely strange that Red Hat introduced
an incompatible base library change late in the life of their enterprise
OS? Or that VMware hasn't followed with a matching change in subsequent
updates? I don't get it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Benjamin Franz

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Does anyone else think it is extremely strange that Red Hat introduced
> an incompatible base library change late in the life of their enterprise
> OS? Or that VMware hasn't followed with a matching change in subsequent
> updates? I don't get it
VMware appears to be intentionally slow-motion killing their VMware
Server product in favor of ESX/ESXi. They declined to publish needed
security updates for Server in the latest round and if you check the
lifecycle support web page they say "VMware Server was declared End Of
Availability on January 2010. Support will be limited to Technical
Guidance for the duration of the support term." They also are not
offering support contracts for it as far as I can see.

I wouldn't count on any meaningful updates for it.

--
Benjamin Franz