Old 09-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Alvin

Default nfs mount problem

On Thursday 23 September 2010 14:34:41 Brian Wootton wrote:
> I can't for the life me get an nfs mount to work,
> this is the entry I've put in /etc/exports:
>
> /pub/brian meg(ro,insecure,all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)
>
> which at least generates no errors from the server nfs daemon, but
> all I get from the mount command on the client is 'access denied by
> server'. mutter, mutter.
> I've tried ip addresses, I've tried a multitude of differnet options(in-
> cluding none), makes no difference, still get access denied by server
> on the client machine.
> I've read 'man exports' until my eyes water. I found some useful
> howtos on google, but still 'access denied by server'.
> If any-one has a magic entry for me to try I'd be glad to try it, or any
> helpful hints.

Please give us some extra information (if it's there), like:
- Command used to mount the share
- Other lines in /etc/exports
- Changes you did in other files (/etc/default/nfs-common, /etc/idmap.conf)
- Is the portmap daemon running?
- Do you have nfs-common installed on the client and nfs-kernel-server on the
server?
- What does 'showmount -e' on the server tell you?

I see you use the insecure option? The only use of that option that I know of
is the NFS kioslave, but that will not work in your case because your share is
a subdirectory. [1]

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/385514

Old 09-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Alvin <info@alvin.be> wrote:
> On Thursday 23 September 2010 14:34:41 Brian Wootton wrote:
>> I can't for the life me get an nfs mount to work,
>> this is the entry I've put in /etc/exports:
>>
>> /pub/brian * * *meg(ro,insecure,all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)
>>
>> which at least generates no errors from the server nfs daemon, but
>> all I get from the mount command on the client is 'access denied by
>> server'. mutter, mutter.
>> I've tried ip addresses, I've tried a multitude of differnet options(in-
>> cluding none), makes no difference, still get access denied by server
>> on the client machine.
>> * I've read 'man exports' until my eyes water. I found some useful
>> howtos on google, but still 'access denied by server'.
>> * If any-one has a magic entry for me to try I'd be glad to try it, or any
>> helpful hints.
>
> Please give us some extra information (if it's there), like:
> - Command used to mount the share
> - Other lines in /etc/exports
> - Changes you did in other files (/etc/default/nfs-common, /etc/idmap.conf)
> - Is the portmap daemon running?
> - Do you have nfs-common installed on the client and nfs-kernel-server on the
> server?
> - What does 'showmount -e' on the server tell you?
>
> I see you use the insecure option? The only use of that option that I know of
> is the NFS kioslave, but that will not work in your case because your share is
> a subdirectory. [1]
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/385514

I just assumed that it might be an nfsv4 "root fs" problem but this is
a more comprehensive and "holistic" approach.

I would add "rpcinfo -p" on the server.

The "insecure" option is needed if you have OS X clients.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Brian Wootton

On 23/09/10 17:38, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> ubject:
> Re: nfs mount problem
> From:
> Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>
> Date:
> Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:31:38 -0400
>
> To:
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

>> > Please give us some extra information (if it's there), like:
>> > - Command used to mount the share
>> > - Other lines in /etc/exports
>> > - Changes you did in other files (/etc/default/nfs-common, /etc/idmap.conf)
>> > - Is the portmap daemon running?
>> > - Do you have nfs-common installed on the client and nfs-kernel-server on the
>> > server?
>> > - What does 'showmount -e' on the server tell you?
>> >
>> > I see you use the insecure option? The only use of that option that I know of
>> > is the NFS kioslave, but that will not work in your case because your share is
>> > a subdirectory. [1]
>> >
>> > [1]https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/385514
>>
> I just assumed that it might be an nfsv4 "root fs" problem but this is
> a more comprehensive and "holistic" approach.
>
> I would add "rpcinfo -p" on the server.
>
> The "insecure" option is needed if you have OS X clients.

This is a cut/paste from konsole

> % sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start
> [sudo] password for brian:
> * Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon... [ OK ]
> * Starting NFS kernel daemon [ OK ]
> % showmount -e
> Export list for meg:
> /pub/brian meg
> % ps aux | grep portmap
> daemon 667 0.0 0.0 8256 616 ? Ss 11:04 0:00 portmap
> brian 4585 0.0 0.0 7632 992 pts/1 S+ 19:23 0:00 grep --color=auto portmap
> % ls -ls /pub
> total 4
> 4 drwxr-xr-x 2 brian brian 4096 2010-09-18 11:14 brian
>

> % more /etc/exports
> # /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be exported
> # to NFS clients. See unfsd(8).
> /pub/brian meg(ro,insecure,all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)

/pub is owned by root.

My client machine is a laptop running the latest Mandriva Spring release
and I have used KNetAttach as well as 'mount -t nfs meg:/pub/brian
also used IP address here - all no go.
I think it has to be the arguments to the entry in etc/exports, but
I've tried
so many different combinations now I'm utterly confused. I don't like or
want 'insecure'.
I'm starting the nfs server manually for the moment, when I can get it all
working I'll put it the boot-up start list.
brian

Old 09-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Brian Wootton <Brian.Meg@btinternet.com> wrote:

>> I just assumed that it might be an nfsv4 "root fs" problem but this is
>> a more comprehensive and "holistic" approach.
>>
>> I would add "rpcinfo -p" on the server.
>>
>> The "insecure" option is needed if you have OS X clients.
>>

> This is a cut/paste from konsole
>
>> % sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start
>> [sudo] password for brian:
>> * * Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon... * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [ OK ]
>> * * Starting NFS kernel daemon * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [ OK ]
>> % showmount -e
>> Export list for meg:
>> /pub/brian meg
>> % ps aux | grep portmap
>> daemon * * 667 *0.0 *0.0 * 8256 * 616 ? * * * *Ss * 11:04 * 0:00 portmap
>> brian * * 4585 *0.0 *0.0 * 7632 * 992 pts/1 * *S+ * 19:23 * 0:00 grep --color=auto portmap
>> % ls -ls /pub
>> total 4
>> 4 drwxr-xr-x 2 brian brian 4096 2010-09-18 11:14 brian
>>
>> % more /etc/exports
>> # /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be exported
>> # * * * * * * * to NFS clients. *See unfsd(8).
>> /pub/brian * * *meg(ro,insecure,all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)
>>
> /pub is owned by root.
>
> My client machine is a laptop running the latest Mandriva Spring release
> and I have used KNetAttach as well as 'mount -t nfs meg:/pub/brian
> also used IP address here - all no go.
> *I think it has to be the arguments to the entry in etc/exports, but
> I've tried
> so many different combinations now I'm utterly confused. I don't like or
> want 'insecure'.
> I'm starting the nfs server manually for the moment, when I can get it all
> working I'll put it the boot-up start list.

I still think that it might be an nfsv4 issue.

Please add "fsid=0" to your export options (just in case but it should
be the default here) and then use "mount -t nfs meg:/
/your/mount/point"

The "insecure" isn't as bad as it sounds. It simply allows nfs to use
non-privileged ports.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Brian Wootton

On 24/09/10 05:15, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> Re: nfs mount problem
> From:
> Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>
> Date:
> Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:47:16 -0400
>
> To:
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

>> > This is a cut/paste from konsole
>> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> > /pub is owned by root.
>> >
>> > My client machine is a laptop running the latest Mandriva Spring release
>> > and I have used KNetAttach as well as 'mount -t nfs meg:/pub/brian
>> > also used IP address here - all no go.
>> > I think it has to be the arguments to the entry in etc/exports, but
>> > I've tried
>> > so many different combinations now I'm utterly confused. I don't like or
>> > want 'insecure'.
>> > I'm starting the nfs server manually for the moment, when I can get it all
>> > working I'll put it the boot-up start list.
>>
> I still think that it might be an nfsv4 issue.
>
> Please add "fsid=0" to your export options (just in case but it should
> be the default here) and then use "mount -t nfs meg:/
> /your/mount/point"
>
> The "insecure" isn't as bad as it sounds. It simply allows nfs to use
> non-privileged ports.

% more /etc/exports
# /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be
exported
# to NFS clients. See unfsd(8).
/pub/brian nutmeg(rw,subtree_check)

Got it all working properly with the above entry in meg(the server)

su% mount -t nfs meg:/pub/brian /pub/brian

and with the above command in meg(the client).

There were 3 different stupidities on my part,
1.wrong ip entries in the router which confused the 2 machines
and me.
2.needed to change back the default to 'subtree_check' in exports
3.read the man mount command more carefully and
get the syntax right.
When I got all 3 of these right _at the same time_ it all worked like
a dream. Only the directory /pub/brian is exported and only brian
can write to it - so I am now happy.
thanks for all your suggestions
brian