Old 04-22-2010, 10:38 PM
"jchase"

Default iSCSI / GFS shared web server file system

We currently have a MD3000i with an iSCSI LUN shared out to our*apache web server. We are going to add another apache web server into the mix using LVS to load balance, however, I am curious how well iSCSI handles file locking and data integrity. I have the iSCSI partition formatted as ext3.

Is my setup totally flawed and will ext3 not allow for data integrity with multiple apache hosts reading/writing to the shared storage? Am I required to also setup GFS across my apache hosts or does iSCSI somehow manage this?

Thanks for helping clear this up,

James

Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 PM
John R Pierce

jchase wrote:
> We currently have a MD3000i with an iSCSI LUN shared out to our apache
> web server. We are going to add another apache web server into the mix
> using LVS to load balance, however, I am curious how well iSCSI
> handles file locking and data integrity. ...

it doesn't, not even close. iscsi is purely a block device protocol,
it doesn't know what files are.

> Is my setup totally flawed and will ext3 not allow for data integrity
> with multiple apache hosts reading/writing to the shared storage? Am I
> required to also setup GFS across my apache hosts or does iSCSI
> somehow manage this?

NFS would be more suitable for this application.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Hi James,

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 11:38 PM, jchase <jchase@mandaladesigns.com> wrote:
> We currently have a MD3000i with an iSCSI LUN shared out to our*apache web
> server. We are going to add another apache web server into the mix using LVS
> to load balance, however, I am curious how well iSCSI handles file locking
> and data integrity. I have the iSCSI partition formatted as ext3.
iSCSI is just SCSI protocol over the net and doesn't provide any locking.

> Is my setup totally flawed and will ext3 not allow for data integrity with
> multiple apache hosts reading/writing to the shared storage? Am I required
> to also setup GFS across my apache hosts or does iSCSI somehow manage this?
GFS or OCFS2 etc. would be a good idea. Alternatively NFS/CIFS would do.