Old 04-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Jerry Geis

Default setting up 3 network cards

I am attempting to put 3 network cards in one box, running centos 64 5.4

network cards are forcedeth (motherboard), e1000e and r8169.

I have ifcfg-eth0, ifcfg-eth1 and ifcfg-eth2 all configured up.
All looks fine.

eth0 is my internal network (forcedeth)
eth1 is Cable modem
eth2 is T1 data

Once I connect the three networks and try to ping something all I can
ping is internal network machines.
Cant ping anything on eth1 or eth2.
the route -n looks fine. the correct IP listest on left points to the
correct ethX on the right.
the default route is using eth2 at the moment.

Is there something "special" about setting up 3 network cards that may help?
What should I look into?

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 04-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/22/2010 4:23 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I am attempting to put 3 network cards in one box, running centos 64 5.4
>
> network cards are forcedeth (motherboard), e1000e and r8169.
>
> I have ifcfg-eth0, ifcfg-eth1 and ifcfg-eth2 all configured up.
> All looks fine.
>
> eth0 is my internal network (forcedeth)
> eth1 is Cable modem
> eth2 is T1 data
>
> Once I connect the three networks and try to ping something all I can
> ping is internal network machines.
> Cant ping anything on eth1 or eth2.
> the route -n looks fine. the correct IP listest on left points to the
> correct ethX on the right.
> the default route is using eth2 at the moment.
>
> Is there something "special" about setting up 3 network cards that may help?
> What should I look into?

It should just be a matter of getting the IP's, routes and DNS
configuration right. Start with something you can't ping, and use
traceroute to see how far you get or try to ping the next-hop router
towards it. mii-tool will give you a quick check that the NICs have
link up. ethtool will show more details.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-22-2010, 09:37 PM
"nate"

Jerry Geis wrote:

> Is there something "special" about setting up 3 network cards that may help?
> What should I look into?

enable ipforwarding?

nate

Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 PM
John R Pierce

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Once I connect the three networks and try to ping something all I can
> ping is internal network machines.
> Cant ping anything on eth1 or eth2.
> the route -n looks fine. the correct IP listest on left points to the
> correct ethX on the right.
> the default route is using eth2 at the moment.
>
> Is there something "special" about setting up 3 network cards that may help?
> What should I look into?

presumably each card is to a separate network with a separate address
range, the appropriate netmask, and optionally any static routes need
for anything remote on those interfaces?

Old 04-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/22/2010 4:37 PM, nate wrote:
> Jerry Geis wrote:
>
>> Is there something "special" about setting up 3 network cards that may help?
>> What should I look into?
>
> enable ipforwarding?

That's only necessary if he wants it to act as a router. The machine
itself should be able to access 3 subnets simultaneously and route
through routers on each.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-22-2010, 09:45 PM
"nate"

Les Mikesell wrote:

> That's only necessary if he wants it to act as a router. The machine
> itself should be able to access 3 subnets simultaneously and route
> through routers on each.

oh ok, must've read the post wrong, haven't slept much this week

nate