-   -   Contos3->5 upgrade, smbmount is gone? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/360627-contos3-5-upgrade-smbmount-gone.html)

"Brunner, Brian T." 04-22-2010 08:03 PM

Contos3->5 upgrade, smbmount is gone?

I solemnly puke upon people who break things and call it progress. Get
ye to Redmond.

I upgraded Centos3.8 to Centos5.4; smbmount is gone. Mounting a WinXP
share requires a new instantiation of the old command

smbmount \hostnamepath oshare /local/mount/point -o
ip=123.12.34.234,username=hostnamemy_userid,passwo rd=whatever

which should now be

mount -t cifs <somebody please fill in the blanks here>

Does the windows side have to change? If so what?

Akemi Yagi 04-22-2010 08:13 PM

Contos3->5 upgrade, smbmount is gone?

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Brunner, Brian T.
<BBrunner@gai-tronics.com> wrote:

> I solemnly puke upon people who break things and call it progress. *Get
> ye to Redmond.
>
> I upgraded Centos3.8 to Centos5.4; smbmount is gone. *Mounting a WinXP
> share requires a new instantiation of the old command
>
> smbmount \hostnamepath oshare */local/mount/point -o
> ip=123.12.34.234,username=hostnamemy_userid,passwo rd=whatever
>
> which should now be
>
> mount -t cifs <somebody please fill in the blanks here>
>
> Does the windows side have to change? *If so what?

This CentOS wiki page may help you:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/WindowsShares

Akemi

John R Pierce 04-22-2010 08:35 PM

Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
> I solemnly puke upon people who break things and call it progress. Get
> ye to Redmond.
>
> I upgraded Centos3.8 to Centos5.4; smbmount is gone. Mounting a WinXP
> share requires a new instantiation of the old command
>
> smbmount \hostnamepath oshare /local/mount/point -o
> ip=123.12.34.234,username=hostnamemy_userid,passwo rd=whatever

fyi, you could have replaced those with / and it worked just fine...

smbmount //hostname/path/to/share /local/mount/point -o ip=123.12.34.234,username=hostname/my_userid,password=whatever

anyways, a typical mount -t cifs looks like...

mount -t cifs //server/share /local/mount/point -o ip=1.2.3.4
username=userid%password

[where whatever is the user's password] ip shouldn't be needed if
'server' resolves