Old 04-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Jatin Davey

Default Using Wireshark on CentOS without UI

Hi All

Yesterday i had installed wireshark on my centos box which does not have
the GUI , It is actually a hardened box. I installed the tool using the
following command:

yum install wireshark

After installation i dont know how to proceed further in capturing the
packets. I basically want to capture packets and copy them onto my
windows box. On the windows box i can use the Wireshark UI to open the
pcap file to view its contents.

Can some one help me in this regard.

Thanks
Jatin

Old 04-22-2010, 12:00 PM
James Hogarth

On 22 April 2010 12:57, Jatin Davey <jashokda@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Yesterday i had installed wireshark on my centos box which does not have
> the GUI , It is actually a hardened box. I installed the tool using the
> following command:
>
> yum install wireshark
>
> After installation i dont know how to proceed further in capturing the
> packets. I basically want to capture packets and copy them onto my
> windows box. On the windows box i can use the Wireshark UI to open the
> pcap file to view its contents.
>
> Can some one help me in this regard.
>
> Thanks
> Jatin

For a box with no GUI use tcpdump to get a packet capture to then scp
over to a box with wireshark on it to analyse the traffic... your
windows box in this case.

James

Old 04-22-2010, 12:01 PM
"Michel van Deventer"

Hi,

> Yesterday i had installed wireshark on my centos box which does not have
> the GUI , It is actually a hardened box. I installed the tool using the
> following command:
>
> yum install wireshark
>
> After installation i dont know how to proceed further in capturing the
> packets. I basically want to capture packets and copy them onto my
> windows box. On the windows box i can use the Wireshark UI to open the
> pcap file to view its contents.
Wireshark in cli mode is called tshark.

With 'tshark -i eth0 -w outfile' captures all traffic on eth0 to outfile.

Regards,

Michel

Old 04-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Jatin Davey

Is the installation of tcpdump similar to wireshark ,

which is : yum install tcpdump ?

How about getting started with it , Any documentation available for it ?

Thanks
Jatin

Old 04-22-2010, 12:10 PM
James Hogarth

On 22 April 2010 13:03, Jatin Davey <jashokda@cisco.com> wrote:
> Is the installation of tcpdump similar to wireshark ,
>
> which is : yum install tcpdump ?
>
> How about getting started with it , Any documentation available for it ?
>
> Thanks
> Jatin

Indeed yum install tcpdump

man tcpdump will give you lots of documentation after you install it

To get you started...

sudo tcpdump -w networkdump.pcap

scp networkdump.pcap <user>@<yoursystem>:

open networkdump.pcap in your wireshark on your box

???

profit

Old 04-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Jatin Davey

Thanks James,

I will install it on my box. Thanks for the support.

Thanks
Jatin

Old 04-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Jatin Davey

Thanks Michel

I would explore more on the tshark usage. Thanks for the support.

Thanks
Jatin

Old 04-22-2010, 12:19 PM
James Hogarth

On 22 April 2010 13:13, Jatin Davey <jashokda@cisco.com> wrote:
> Thanks Michel
>
> I would explore more on the tshark usage. Thanks for the support.
>
> Thanks
> Jatin

Of course tshark is nothing more than a wrapper to tcpdump effectively
when being used to dump data as they both interface to libpcap with
the same pattern recognition....

Old 04-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Alan McKay

Don't even need wireshark (tshark) for that - just use native tcpdump

Check the man page for it.