Old 04-22-2010, 07:14 AM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

Default Xen-server in virt-manager Paravirtualized doesn't work

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 03:12:01PM +0200, Georghy wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm setting up a virtualization software on CentOS,
> using virt-manager, KVM, qemu and Xen
> When I want to create a VM, paravirtualized mode isn't possible (ie it
> is grey)
> What should I do to use xen paravirtualized mode ?
> i figured that xen is not running but /etc/init.d/xend start doesn't work
> xen and xen-kernel are installed on the machine (rpm -qa | grep xen
> replies : xen & xen-kernel)
> thanks for all help

Did you actually boot into Xen?

-- Pasi

Old 04-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Georghy

Pasi Kärkkäinen a écrit :
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 03:12:01PM +0200, Georghy wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I'm setting up a virtualization software on CentOS,
>> using virt-manager, KVM, qemu and Xen
>> When I want to create a VM, paravirtualized mode isn't possible (ie it
>> is grey)
>> What should I do to use xen paravirtualized mode ?
>> i figured that xen is not running but /etc/init.d/xend start doesn't work
>> xen and xen-kernel are installed on the machine (rpm -qa | grep xen
>> replies : xen & xen-kernel)
>> thanks for all help
>>

> Did you actually boot into Xen?
>
> -- Pasi

i want to but my kernel is a PAE kernel
should I choose between PAE or XEN kernel ? Are they incompatible ?

--
Cordialement, / Greetings,
Georghy FUSCO

Old 04-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 09:56:13AM +0200, Georghy wrote:
> Pasi Kärkkäinen a écrit :
> > On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 03:12:01PM +0200, Georghy wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >> I'm setting up a virtualization software on CentOS,
> >> using virt-manager, KVM, qemu and Xen
> >> When I want to create a VM, paravirtualized mode isn't possible (ie it
> >> is grey)
> >> What should I do to use xen paravirtualized mode ?
> >> i figured that xen is not running but /etc/init.d/xend start doesn't work
> >> xen and xen-kernel are installed on the machine (rpm -qa | grep xen
> >> replies : xen & xen-kernel)
> >> thanks for all help
> >>

> > Did you actually boot into Xen?
> >
> > -- Pasi

> i want to but my kernel is a PAE kernel
> should I choose between PAE or XEN kernel ? Are they incompatible ?

Please check /boot/grub/grub.conf

Xen hypervisor is a baremetal hypervisor, meaning you have to _boot_ into it (xen.gz).

Xen hypervisor will then launch dom0 ("domain 0") Linux, which is used to manage the system.
dom0 Linux kernel needs to be special xen-aware kernel, called kernel-xen in rhel/centos.

So yeah.. normal kernel-PAE doesn't run as Xen dom0.
kernel-xen is always PAE enabled on 32bit, 64bit doesn't require/use special PAE kernels.

-- Pasi

Old 04-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Georghy

Pasi Kärkkäinen a écrit :
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 09:56:13AM +0200, Georghy wrote:
>
>> Pasi Kärkkäinen a écrit :

>>> Did you actually boot into Xen?
>>>
>>> -- Pasi

>> i want to but my kernel is a PAE kernel
>> should I choose between PAE or XEN kernel ? Are they incompatible ?
>>

> Please check /boot/grub/grub.conf
>
> Xen hypervisor is a baremetal hypervisor, meaning you have to _boot_ into it (xen.gz).
>
> Xen hypervisor will then launch dom0 ("domain 0") Linux, which is used to manage the system.
> dom0 Linux kernel needs to be special xen-aware kernel, called kernel-xen in rhel/centos.
>
> So yeah.. normal kernel-PAE doesn't run as Xen dom0.
> kernel-xen is always PAE enabled on 32bit, 64bit doesn't require/use special PAE kernels.
>
> -- Pasi

Thanks for your responce that's all I wanted to know

--
Cordialement, / Greetings,
Georghy FUSCO