Old 04-20-2010, 05:18 PM
fred smith

Default Strange new boot problem with CentOS 4 machine

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 12:48:42PM -0400, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> >> I have a custom-built PC on which I've been running CentOS 4.x (kept
> >> up to the latest x) for a few years without any problems ... until
> >> this week.
> >>
> >> Last week I was out of town on an extended trip, so I shut the machine
> >> down and powered off my UPS, etc. When I returned on Saturday, I
> >> turned everything back on, and the machine seemed to be booting
> >> normally ... and then it just very abruptly turned itself off, and
> >> refused to power back on. A short while later I was able to restart
> >>
> > <snip>
> > Does it croak before or after it hits the interactive option? If after,
> > hit that I, and step through.
> >

> On the other hand, the symptom of refusing to power back on seems to
> indicate a hardware problem. I had a similar issue that turned out to
> be a bad power supply.

Try plugging the power in directly to the outlet, bypassing the UPS, in
case the UPS itself has gone bad. (Bad UPS, Bad I say, BAD!!!

The Lord is like a strong tower.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Bart Schaefer

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey@buc.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, the symptom of refusing to power back on seems to
> indicate a hardware problem. *I had a similar issue that turned out to
> be a bad power supply.

Thanks everyone, this doesn't appear to be a CentOS issue.

I went into the BIOS setup screen and watched the built-in hardware
monitor for a while (hadn't previously realized it had this). It
showed normal temps and PS voltages but reported that the PS fan is
running slightly slow (1600RPM, though I'm not sure what it *should*
be) ... and then after three minutes, it shut down. Voltages and
temps never wavered so I'm not sure why the slow fan would result in a
shutdown, but it clearly doesn't have anything to do with kernel
modules.