Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   CentOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/)
-   -   Debugging slow apache server? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/359346-debugging-slow-apache-server.html)

04-20-2010 01:20 PM

Debugging slow apache server?
 
> From: Roland RoLaNd <r_o_l_a_n_d@hotmail.com>
>> i'm using an apache server to host 8 virtual hosts.
>> even though this server is local.. 7 out of these 8 virtual hosts open
>> extremly slow..
>> it takes around 10 seconds to open a page..
>> though the 8th (which is a completely different site) it opens fairly
>> fast in around 1 or 2 seconds tops..
>> i tried tailing the error_log and i found nothing ..
>> is there a way i could monitor wht each branch is doing and what's
>> causing it to be so slow?
>> any suggestion ?
>
> Do you have any link to the outside in your slow pages?
> On the client side, you could try yslow...
>
Several thoughts:
1) were they ever faster, or is this new?
2) do they have humoungous graphics (e.g., 10 pictures that are 2M each)?
3) do they do d/b queries; if so, how fast are the queries if you
run them from the command line?

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Les Mikesell 04-20-2010 01:47 PM

Debugging slow apache server?
 
Rob Kampen wrote:
>
>
> On Apr 20, 2010, at 8:28 AM, Roland RoLaNd <r_o_l_a_n_d@hotmail.com
> <mailto:r_o_l_a_n_d@hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> i'm using an apache server to host 8 virtual hosts.
>>
>> even though this server is local.. 7 out of these 8 virtual hosts open
>> extremly slow..
>> it takes around 10 seconds to open a page..
>>
>> though the 8th (which is a completely different site) it opens fairly
>> fast in around 1 or 2 seconds tops..
>>
>> i tried tailing the error_log and i found nothing ..
>> is there a way i could monitor wht each branch is doing and what's
>> causing it to be so slow?
>> any suggestion ?
>>
>>
> Check DNS resolution for all the domains

And be sure dns lookups are turned off for the client IP in the logs
(HostnameLookups off).

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Fernando Gleiser 04-20-2010 10:29 PM

Debugging slow apache server?
 
>
>From: Rob Kampen <rkampen@kampensonline.com>
>To: CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org>
>Sent: Tue, April 20, 2010 9:59:57 AM
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] Debugging slow apache server?
>
>
>
>
>
>On Apr 20, 2010, at 8:28 AM, Roland RoLaNd <r_o_l_a_n_d@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>>>hello,
>>
>>i'm using an apache server to host 8 virtual hosts.
>>
>>even though this server is local.. 7 out of these 8 virtual hosts open extremly slow..
>>it takes around 10 seconds to open a page..
>>
>>though the 8th (which is a completely different site) it opens fairly fast in around 1 or 2 seconds tops..
>>
>>i tried tailing the error_log and i found nothing ..
>>is there a way i could monitor wht each branch is doing and what's causing it to be so slow?
>>any suggestion ?
>>
>>
>>Check DNS resolution for all the domains
>
>
>

+1

Most "unexplained" delays and bizarre problems in network services can be traced back to broken DNS stuff


Fer



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Jobst Schmalenbach 04-21-2010 03:41 AM

Debugging slow apache server?
 
+1

What do yo mean by "which is a completely different site"?


Other things to consider:

* make sure that every virtual host has its own log file
* sometimes problems occur using symbolic links, turn FollowSymLinks off
* increase the number of spare servers etc (prefork).

jobst



On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 08:59:57AM -0400, Rob Kampen (rkampen@kampensonline.com) wrote:
>
>
> On Apr 20, 2010, at 8:28 AM, Roland RoLaNd <r_o_l_a_n_d@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >hello,
> >
> >i'm using an apache server to host 8 virtual hosts.
> >
> >even though this server is local.. 7 out of these 8 virtual hosts
> >open extremly slow..
> >it takes around 10 seconds to open a page..
> >
> >though the 8th (which is a completely different site) it opens
> >fairly fast in around 1 or 2 seconds tops..
> >
> >i tried tailing the error_log and i found nothing ..
> >is there a way i could monitor wht each branch is doing and what's
> >causing it to be so slow?
> >any suggestion ?
> >
> >
> Check DNS resolution for all the domains
> >
> >Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft???s powerful SPAM
> >protection. Sign up now.
> >_______________________________________________
> >CentOS mailing list
> >CentOS@centos.org
> >http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


--
My Carpenter has a 1956 VW Beetle. He still can go to any place in Australia, use any Oil, spark plugs, pertol, tires, wiper blades, etc available today with a car that old. If only software would be like that.

| |0| | Jobst Schmalenbach, jobst@barrett.com.au, General Manager
| | |0| Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L
|0|0|0| +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:59 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.