Old 04-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Michael Klinosky

Default Java RE

Hello.
Package Manager reports (with a green checkmark) that I have java-1.6.0
installed on my machine (running Cent 5.3), but it seems to not be
running. I used http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml and got
"Something is wrong. Java is not working."

Perhaps I'm confused on which program I need to use java-coded apps. PM
lists this app as "OpenJDK Runtime Environment" - is this it?

[mykolas@sr1220 ~]$ rpm -q jdk jre
package jdk is not installed
package jre is not installed

Can someone explain, or provide a link to a particular webpage that
would clue me in?

Old 04-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Mathieu Baudier

> Package Manager reports (with a green checkmark) that I have java-1.6.0
> installed on my machine (running Cent 5.3), but it seems to not be
> running. I used http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml and got
> "Something is wrong. Java is not working."

This page tell you that the Java browser plugin is not working (it is
used to run small Java applets *in* the browser it self).

The Java browser plugin is not shipped with the CentOS version of open jdk.

Do you need this brower plugin?
Are you running i386 or x86_64 ?
You said that you are running 5.3, any reason why not updating to 5.4?
(if it is a desktop)

> Perhaps I'm confused on which program I need to use java-coded apps. PM
> lists this app as "OpenJDK Runtime Environment" - is this it?
>
> [mykolas@sr1220 ~]$ rpm -q jdk jre
> package jdk is not installed
> package jre is not installed

What is the output of:

yum list java-1.6.0-openjdk*

Old 04-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Niki Kovacs

Michael Klinosky a écrit :

> Can someone explain, or provide a link to a particular webpage that
> would clue me in?

I have a detailed explanation on my website. It's in french, but the
Linux bits are international )

http://www.microlinux.fr/linux_aux_petits_oignons/chapitre_8/01.html#java

Cheers,

Niki

Old 04-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Michael Klinosky

Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>> Package Manager reports (with a green checkmark) that I have java-1.6.0
>> installed on my machine (running Cent 5.3), but it seems to not be
>> running. I used http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml and got
>> "Something is wrong. Java is not working."
>
> This page tell you that the Java browser plugin is not working (it is
> used to run small Java applets *in* the browser it self).

OK. However, in my browser (Firefox 3) 'Java' is enabled.

> Do you need this brower plugin?

hmmm ... I don't see it in the Firefox's list of installed plugins.

** But, that would change just 1 thing: allow Firefox to run java
applets - correct? Or, would it also allow other java-coded apps to run?
(Or, do I have the wrong notion of Java?)

> Are you running i386 or x86_64 ?

i386 (32 bit).

> You said that you are running 5.3, any reason why not updating to 5.4?
> (if it is a desktop)

Just haven't considered it yet. I'll check out what changed, and if it
would be better for me.

> What is the output of:
> yum list java-1.6.0-openjdk*

[mykolas@sr1220 ~]$ yum list java-1.6.0-openjdk*
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
542 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Installed Packages
java-1.6.0-openjdk.i386 1:1.6.0.0-0.30.b09.el5 installed
Available Packages
java-1.6.0-openjdk.i386 1:1.6.0.0-1.7.b09.el5 updates
java-1.6.0-openjdk-demo.i386 1:1.6.0.0-1.7.b09.el5 updates
java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel.i386 1:1.6.0.0-1.7.b09.el5 updates
java-1.6.0-openjdk-javadoc.i386 1:1.6.0.0-1.7.b09.el5 updates
java-1.6.0-openjdk-src.i386 1:1.6.0.0-1.7.b09.el5 updates

Niki a écrit :
> I have a detailed explanation on my website. It's in french, but the
> Linux bits are international )

Thank you - I'll 'try' to interpret.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Mathieu Baudier

> ** But, that would change just 1 thing: allow Firefox to run java
> applets - correct? Or, would it also allow other java-coded apps to run?

it is just necessary for applet

>> You said that you are running 5.3, any reason why not updating to 5.4?
>> (if it is a desktop)
>
> Just haven't considered it yet. I'll check out what changed, and if it
> would be better for me.

I'm using 5.4, so maybe what I say is not relevant for you.

>> What is the output of:
>> yum list java-1.6.0-openjdk*
>
> [mykolas@sr1220 ~]$ yum list java-1.6.0-openjdk*
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
> 542 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
> Installed Packages
> java-1.6.0-openjdk.i386 * * * * *1:1.6.0.0-0.30.b09.el5 * *installed
> Available Packages
> java-1.6.0-openjdk.i386 * * * * *1:1.6.0.0-1.7.b09.el5 * * updates

You seem to have java installed (but not the latest version of the package)

Can you send the output of:

$ java -version

Since the browser doesn't have the applet plugin, opening the web page
above is not relevant: maybe you have java working.
Which application do you want to run?

Old 04-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Agile Aspect

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Michael Klinosky <mpk2@enter.net> wrote:
> Hello.
> Package Manager reports (with a green checkmark) that I have java-1.6.0
> installed on my machine (running Cent 5.3), but it seems to not be
> running. I used http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml and got
> "Something is wrong. Java is not working."
>
> Perhaps I'm confused on which program I need to use java-coded apps. PM
> lists this app as "OpenJDK Runtime Environment" - is this it?
>
> [mykolas@sr1220 ~]$ rpm -q jdk jre
> package jdk is not installed
> package jre is not installed
>
> Can someone explain, or provide a link to a particular webpage that
> would clue me in?

There's Java HowTos on the CentOS Wiki

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS

I use Sun's JDK, so the following may or may not work in OpenJDK.

The JAVA_HOME here is Sun's JDK:

ln -s $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10/plugins/libnpjp2.so

You'll probably have to create the plugin directory under firefox -
and your version of firefox may be different.

On my machine, I linked

/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10/plugins -> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

then linked the Java library to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

Restart your browser and you should see

libnpjp2.so

as the Java plugin.

--
Enjoy global warming while it lasts.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Mathieu Baudier

> I use Sun's JDK, so the following may or may not work in OpenJDK.

The default OpenJDK of CentOS (b09) does not contain the browser plugin.
Apparently the OP does not necessarily need the browser plugin.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Michael Klinosky

Mathieu Baudier wrote:
> Can you send the output of:
> $ java -version

[mykolas@sr1220 ~]$ java -version
java version "1.6.0"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b09)
OpenJDK Client VM (build 1.6.0-b09, mixed mode)

> Which application do you want to run?

Sweet Home 3D - a CAD-style house layout program.
http://sweethome3d.eu/index.jsp

agile.aspect:
> There's Java HowTos on the CentOS Wiki
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS

Dang! In my confused state, I didn't even think of checking the wiki -
thank you!!!

Old 04-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Michael Klinosky

I wrote:
>> Which application do you want to run?
>
> Sweet Home 3D - a CAD-style house layout program.
> http://sweethome3d.eu/index.jsp

I neglected to mention what prompted my inquiry!

I got ver 1.7 of that program (from a software site, and it was bundled
with a JRE). Using the program, I checked out its own website, and
noticed that it's up to ver 2.3.

So, I tried to d/l the basic (no bundled JRE) version, but was sent to
java.com to d/l Java! huh? I know that it's installed. Thus my post.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:56 AM
Mathieu Baudier

> [mykolas@sr1220 ~]$ java -version
> java version "1.6.0"
> OpenJDK *Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b09)
> OpenJDK Client VM (build 1.6.0-b09, mixed mode)

So, you have Java installed

> Sweet Home 3D - a CAD-style house layout program.
> http://sweethome3d.eu/index.jsp

Just download it from:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sweethome3d/SweetHome3D-2.3-linux-x86.tgz

Untar it and click on the SweetHome3D script and it will start it (I just tried)
They actually ship it with a JVM.

Note: If you want to use their online offer, then you need the Java
browser plugin because they use applets, in that case follow the
instructions for the Sun JDK..