Old 04-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Ryousei Takano

Default ext3/ext4 random write performance on ioDrive duo

Hi all,

I have evaluated Fusion-io ioDrive duo (PCIe direct attached NAND
flash memory storage) on the CentOS 5.4.
The experimental result shows the write performance with multiple
jobs (processes) on the ext3/ext4 filesystems is lower than that of XFS.
The question I have is what is the cause of the ext3/ext4 performance
limitation.

I have measured the random write performance on several filesystems
using fio benchmark (http://freshmeat.net/projects/fio/).
My PC box has dual Intel Xeon W5590 3.33 GHz (8 cores), 48 GB memory,
and Fusion-io ioDriveDuo (320 GB SLC).

The XFS performance grows as the number of jobs increases. On the
other hands, the ext3/ext4 do not.
In the both cases, I mount filesystems with the "noatime" option only.

The results are shown below:

block size XFS XFS ext4 ext4
(1job) (8job) (1job) (8job)
1024 21 71 22 21
2048 40 144 42 40
4096 74 290 76 76
8192 131 635 133 131
16384 212 1029 219 215
32768 310 1169 326 316
65536 399 1236 374 374
131072 748 1332 718 676
262144 895 1336 902 804
524288 1000 1327 974 905
1048576 1100 1308 1136 995
2097152 1220 1276 1179 1082
4194304 1230 1233 1270 1149
8388608 1309 1233 1243 1188

(The unit is MB/s.)

You can see the more detail information from here:
http://code.google.com/p/pspacer/wiki/ioDriveDuo

Any comments and suggestion will be welcome.
If this list is not proper place to talk about this problem, can
anyone tell me the proper one?

Best regards,
Ryousei