Old 04-17-2010, 11:03 AM
hadi motamedi

Default CentOS installation on x86 platform

Dear All
I had two x86 platform that I needed to install CentOS 5 on them. On
one of them that had Windows OS pre-installed, I installed VBox and
then I installed CentOS inside its VBox. On the second platform, I
tried for a fresh installation of CentOS as its primary OS (I mean
inserting the CentOS installation CD and rebooting the machine and
following the instructions to install the CentOS). On the second
platform, I want to install Windows OS again and as I don't find
proper VM machine for my CentOS so I tried to put the Windows
installation CD and reboot the machine but it was unsuccessful.
Actually it didn't read the Windows installtion CD and just boots up
from its CentOS . As I chose to 'remove all partitions on this
machine' when installing the CentOS so I think I need to change its
FAT to be able to re-install Windows OS. Can you please comment me
back what was wrong on my second machine that I cannot re-install
Windows OS on it?
Thank you

Old 04-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Andres Lucena

[...]

Hi Hadi,

I think it could be one of these things:

* Boot device priority: you should check that CDRom is the first one (it isnt that probable because you have already booted from CD at least one)

* CD reader broken: you should try with another CD, to see if it works
* CD broken: you should try in another computer to see if it works

AFAIK should be one of those things, beacause if Windows have any error reading the disk format, it should be pointed in the install process, I mean, you don't even have to have a disk connected to 'try' to install it

Regarding the VM software in Linux (desktop), you have VirtualBox and VMWare. For most things that I do, I prefer VirtualBox, because its in the repositories and much faster to install:

*yum install VirtualBox

Bye,
Andres

*
Thank you

Old 04-18-2010, 04:21 AM
hadi motamedi

[...]

Thank you very much for your reply . Please be informed that :
-Boot device priority is ok , as I checked it on BIOS CMOS
- CD drive is ok , as it can read other CDs

- Windows installation CD is ok , as it can be installed on other platforms
I tried to install VirtualBox/VMWare on my CentOS but it didn't get through . I don't know exactly if it comes from wrong repository on my CentOS or it comes from the fact that I am trying from IRAN and it is prohibited for my country domain. Please help me and show me other alternatives.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Hadi motamedi wrote on Sun, 18 Apr 2010 05:21:50 +0100:

> Please help me and show me other alternatives.

Why? It is your job to figure this out. Again, please stop abusing this
list for your service needs!

Kai

Old 04-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Drew

> Actually it didn't read the Windows installtion CD and just boots up
> from its CentOS .

The windows install CD's are not like Linux ones. They only give you
3-5 seconds to "Press Enter to boot from CD" before they default to
whatever device is next on the boot priority list.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie