Old 04-16-2010, 01:00 PM

Default CentOS5 and samba

We're trying to migrate RHEL3 and CentOS4 based samba servers over to CentOS5,
but it's a bleeding disaster. We cannot get it to work reliably with any
version of CentOS5, i386 or x86_64, the included 3.0.x version of samba or
3.4.x/3.5.x compiled from source.

The symptoms are: read access is extremely slow, write access seems to work
in principle (e.g. creating a zeros-sized file on a share), but writing even
small files (100k) to the share eventually times out with "out of memory or
disk space" errors. These shares are home directories NFS-mounted on the
samba server. Shares of local disks work fine as expected.

We have played with oplock settings and got some improvements, but not
reliably, and this seems to effect XP and Seven clients differently.

Surely we are not the first to run into this sort of issue? Given the range
of tested software, the problem appears to be specific to CentOS5.