Old 04-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Niki Kovacs

Default CentOS-friendly wiki engine ?

Hi,

One of our local town halls has asked me to implement a wiki-based
website dedicated to ecological farming. The wiki is supposed to host a
variety of documents in text, video and audio format.

I've never used any wiki engines myself. Is there any one you can
recommend in particular ? I'm using CentOS 5 on the server, so I would
be glad to use a solution where I don't have to jump through burning
loops (e. g. install a more recent version of PHP/Python/whatever) to
make it work.

Cheers,

Niki

Old 04-16-2010, 10:34 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>I've never used any wiki engines myself. Is there any one you can
>recommend in particular ? I'm using CentOS 5 on the server, so I would
>be glad to use a solution where I don't have to jump through burning
>loops (e. g. install a more recent version of PHP/Python/whatever) to
>make it work.

I use Dokuwiki for all my technical documentation, it's easy to use and
has a myriad of plugins to extend the functionality.

Untar it into a www document root, set perms, point your browser to it
and configure it.

jlc

Old 04-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Eduardo Grosclaude

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 7:34 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of our local town halls has asked me to implement a wiki-based
> website dedicated to ecological farming. The wiki is supposed to host a
> variety of documents in text, video and audio format.
>
> I've never used any wiki engines myself. Is there any one you can
> recommend in particular ? I'm using CentOS 5 on the server, so I would
> be glad to use a solution where I don't have to jump through burning
> loops (e. g. install a more recent version of PHP/Python/whatever) to
> make it work.

CentOS Wiki uses Moin-moin. It is readily yummable (yum install moin).

--
Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue

Old 04-16-2010, 12:08 PM
"Marcelo M. Garcia"

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've never used any wiki engines myself. Is there any one you can
> recommend in particular ? I'm using CentOS 5 on the server, so I would
> be glad to use a solution where I don't have to jump through burning
> loops (e. g. install a more recent version of PHP/Python/whatever) to
> make it work.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki

Hi

Mediawiki is available in EPEL repo.

mg.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:20 PM

Nikki,

> One of our local town halls has asked me to implement a wiki-based
> website dedicated to ecological farming. The wiki is supposed to host a
> variety of documents in text, video and audio format.
>
> I've never used any wiki engines myself. Is there any one you can
> recommend in particular ? I'm using CentOS 5 on the server, so I would
> be glad to use a solution where I don't have to jump through burning
> loops (e. g. install a more recent version of PHP/Python/whatever) to
> make it work.

mediawiki is always a good choice. That's what wikipedia runs on, and may
be slightly more involved to install and configure than other, lighter
weight wikis, but it industrial strength.

In addition, it's not too hard to add some security - where I was working
a couple of years ago, one of our developers knocked out, in short order,
an area that was only accessible by password.

mark

Old 04-16-2010, 01:36 PM
"Samuel Contesse"

Hi,

Have a look at:
http://www.wikimatrix.org/

I would suggest you Dokuwiki which is really simple to implement and
use.

Sam

Old 04-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/4/16 Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net>:
> Hi,
>
> One of our local town halls has asked me to implement a wiki-based
> website dedicated to ecological farming. The wiki is supposed to host a
> variety of documents in text, video and audio format.
>
> I've never used any wiki engines myself. Is there any one you can
> recommend in particular ? I'm using CentOS 5 on the server, so I would
> be glad to use a solution where I don't have to jump through burning
> loops (e. g. install a more recent version of PHP/Python/whatever) to
> make it work.

twiki.org

--
Eero

Old 04-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Andres Lucena

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Marcelo M. Garcia <marcelo.maia.garcia@googlemail.com> wrote:

Niki Kovacs wrote:

> Hi,

> I've never used any wiki engines myself. Is there any one you can

> recommend in particular ? I'm using CentOS 5 on the server, so I would

> be glad to use a solution where I don't have to jump through burning

> loops (e. g. install a more recent version of PHP/Python/whatever) to

> make it work.

> Cheers,

> Niki

Hi

Mediawiki is available in EPEL repo.

*IMHO MediaWiki is the best software for wikis, is the one more documented, more used and with more extensions; but in the end is a matter of what do you want to do and how much magic you want to have in your wiki

I think that if all you want is a website where everyone or just a few could edit, ANY wiki would do the job, but in the moment that you want a little more specific stuff, MW is the one that have done better results with me, specially for the extensions, there are A LOT of things you can do with them. For instance, now I'm doing some semantic stuff (listing pages and properties dinamically, withouth hard-coding it, with beautiful code)

The downside of choosing wikis is that when you decided one, you should stick on it because the wiki syntax is different among them.

Bye,
Andres

Old 04-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Mathieu Baudier

> IMHO MediaWiki is the best software for wikis, is the one more documented,
> more used and with more extensions; but in the end is a matter of what do
> you want to do and how much magic you want to have in your wiki

I also would recommend MediaWiki for these reasons.

The only drawback is the lack of a fine grained authorization
mechanism: you cannot give write access to some pages and not others,
or if you try there are flaws to be aware of (cf. [1])

What I tend to do for "sensitive" data is to create one MediaWiki
database per private project (reusing the same MediaWiki code, see
[2]).

But if you want to have only one set of authorized users, all with
write access, MediaWiki is a very good choice.

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Security_issues_with_authorization_extensions
[2] http://booleandreams.wordpress.com/2007/06/12/running-multiple-instance-of-mediawiki-on-the-same-server-using-the-same-source-code/

Old 04-18-2010, 03:04 PM
John R Pierce

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of our local town halls has asked me to implement a wiki-based
> website dedicated to ecological farming. The wiki is supposed to host a
> variety of documents in text, video and audio format.
>
> I've never used any wiki engines myself. Is there any one you can
> recommend in particular ? I'm using CentOS 5 on the server, so I would
> be glad to use a solution where I don't have to jump through burning
> loops (e. g. install a more recent version of PHP/Python/whatever) to
> make it work.

One more vote for Dokuwiki. Really easy to setup, no database required,
just untar the thing in a web directory, run its setup page, and have at it.