-   -   (semi-) rugged laptop running CentOS 5? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/357607-semi-rugged-laptop-running-centos-5-a.html)

Jim Davis 04-15-2010 10:37 PM

(semi-) rugged laptop running CentOS 5?

We're looking for a laptop to run in a 10,000', cold, occasionally wet
environment, and it needs to run CentOS 5. Perhaps something like the
Dell Latitude E6400 ATG? There's a reference to a minor trackball bug
for the 6400 under CentOS 5 (http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4192)
but otherwise it sounds like the x86_64 version should run on it.
Ideally the system would use a SSD too. Any suggestions?

John R Pierce 04-15-2010 10:53 PM

Jim Davis wrote:
> We're looking for a laptop to run in a 10,000', cold, occasionally wet
> environment, and it needs to run CentOS 5. Perhaps something like the
> Dell Latitude E6400 ATG? There's a reference to a minor trackball bug
> for the 6400 under CentOS 5 (http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4192)
> but otherwise it sounds like the x86_64 version should run on it.
> Ideally the system would use a SSD too. Any suggestions?

panasonic toughbook, one of the serious ones with the ip65 rating, like
the 19 or the 30.

john maclean 04-19-2010 08:55 AM

(semi-) rugged laptop running CentOS 5?

IBM Thinkpads are quite "strong" in th sense that they are very sturdy
and have titanium casing. Not rugged as such but I have travelled with
an X30 all over the place and it has been thrown into taxis, fallen
down stairs... still boots ;-)

On 15 April 2010 23:53, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> Jim Davis wrote:
>> We're looking for a laptop to run in a 10,000', cold, occasionally wet
>> environment, and it needs to run CentOS 5. *Perhaps something like the
>> Dell Latitude E6400 ATG? There's a reference to a minor trackball bug
>> for the 6400 under CentOS 5 (http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4192)
>> but otherwise it sounds like the x86_64 version should run on it.
>> Ideally the system would use a SSD too. *Any suggestions?
>>

> panasonic toughbook, one of the serious ones with the ip65 rating, like
> the 19 or the 30.

John Maclean
07739 171 531
MSc (DIC)

Enterprise Linux Systems Engineer

John R Pierce 04-19-2010 11:03 AM

john maclean wrote:
> IBM Thinkpads are quite "strong" in th sense that they are very sturdy
> and have titanium casing. Not rugged as such but I have travelled with
> an X30 all over the place and it has been thrown into taxis, fallen
> down stairs... still boots ;-)

it was the wet part of '10000 feet, cold, and occasionally wet' that led
me to suggest the ip65 rated toughbooks