Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Mathieu Baudier

Default Power consumption monitoring

Hi,

I have quite a few low-end development/test servers running
continuously and I would like to better manage their power
consumption.
I have found interesting information on how to perform CPU scaling
(e.g. [1] or [2]).

But I cannot find if there is a way to (software) monitor power
consumption on CentOS (or other such data like CPU temperature, fan
speed etc.).

What I read so far is that support is quite limited in this kernel
(e.g. PowerTop not providing useful information).

Before I start tuning I would like to be able to measure whether my
changes are having any impact at all.

Thanks in advance,

Mathieu

[1] http://www.lesswatts.org/tips/cpu.php
[2] http://www.spencerstirling.com/computergeek/powersaving.html

Old 04-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Peter Kjellstrom

On Thursday 15 April 2010, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have quite a few low-end development/test servers running
> continuously and I would like to better manage their power
> consumption.
> I have found interesting information on how to perform CPU scaling
> (e.g. [1] or [2]).
>
> But I cannot find if there is a way to (software) monitor power
> consumption on CentOS (or other such data like CPU temperature, fan
> speed etc.).

Most machines simply don't have that hardware. Some laptops do and then, with
proper kernel, you can run powertop (or read /proc/acpi/power...).

Some servers have power meters built in but uses tools specific to that
vendor/server (like HP ppic).

> What I read so far is that support is quite limited in this kernel
> (e.g. PowerTop not providing useful information).
>
> Before I start tuning I would like to be able to measure whether my
> changes are having any impact at all.

I'd suggest that you buy an external power meter like kill-a-watt.

/Peter

Old 04-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Robert Heller

> On Thursday 15 April 2010, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have quite a few low-end development/test servers running
> > continuously and I would like to better manage their power
> > consumption.
> > I have found interesting information on how to perform CPU scaling
> > (e.g. [1] or [2]).
> >
> > But I cannot find if there is a way to (software) monitor power
> > consumption on CentOS (or other such data like CPU temperature, fan
> > speed etc.).
>
> Most machines simply don't have that hardware. Some laptops do and then, with
> proper kernel, you can run powertop (or read /proc/acpi/power...).

Some things are handled by motherboard and/or processor sensors and
lm_sensors will access these sensors ("CPU temperature, fan speed etc.").

heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk