Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   CentOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/)
-   -   burning an image (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/357099-burning-image.html)

david walcroft 04-14-2010 11:58 PM

burning an image
 
I downloaded CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso but I haven't used Centos
before and I've haven't used a -bin-DVD.iso before,every attempt so far
to burn one has produced coasters,what do I do to get an image.

Thanks david
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Robert Heller 04-15-2010 12:58 AM

burning an image
 
At Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:58:40 +1000 CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org> wrote:

>
> I downloaded CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso but I haven't used Centos
> before and I've haven't used a -bin-DVD.iso before,every attempt so far
> to burn one has produced coasters,what do I do to get an image.

Were you burning it to a *DVD*-R? It is NOT a CD image. You need two
things:

1) A DVD burner (as opposed to a CD burner).
2) A DVD-R (as opposed to a CD-R).

Make sure you have the proper hardware and blank media.

Also: did you download the md5sum file? Use that to do a check of the
md5sum to make sure your ISO file is not broken.

>
> Thanks david
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/ -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Kahlil Hodgson 04-15-2010 01:10 AM

burning an image
 
On 15/04/10 09:58, david walcroft wrote:
> I downloaded CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso but I haven't used Centos
> before and I've haven't used a -bin-DVD.iso before,every attempt so far
> to burn one has produced coasters,what do I do to get an image.

I've had graphical apps give me coasters on occasion. From the command
line you can try:

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso

(yes the syntax is a bit silly)

Kal
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

david walcroft 04-16-2010 02:59 AM

burning an image
 
On 04/15/2010 11:10 AM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
> On 15/04/10 09:58, david walcroft wrote:
>> I downloaded CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso but I haven't used Centos
>> before and I've haven't used a -bin-DVD.iso before,every attempt so far
>> to burn one has produced coasters,what do I do to get an image.
>
> I've had graphical apps give me coasters on occasion. From the command
> line you can try:
>
> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
>
> (yes the syntax is a bit silly)
>
> Kal
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
I tried your command but this error came up

[david@reddwarf ~]$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z
/dev/dvd=rpm/CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
:-( /dev/dvd: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 0

I used a dvd-rw and a dvd-rw-dl with the same results.

Thanks david
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

david walcroft 04-16-2010 03:02 AM

burning an image
 
On 04/15/2010 10:58 AM, Robert Heller wrote:
> At Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:58:40 +1000 CentOS mailing list<centos@centos.org> wrote:
>
>>
>> I downloaded CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso but I haven't used Centos
>> before and I've haven't used a -bin-DVD.iso before,every attempt so far
>> to burn one has produced coasters,what do I do to get an image.
>
> Were you burning it to a *DVD*-R? It is NOT a CD image. You need two
> things:
>
> 1) A DVD burner (as opposed to a CD burner).
> 2) A DVD-R (as opposed to a CD-R).
>
> Make sure you have the proper hardware and blank media.
>
> Also: did you download the md5sum file? Use that to do a check of the
> md5sum to make sure your ISO file is not broken.
>
>>
>> Thanks david
>> _______________________________________________
>> CentOS mailing list
>> CentOS@centos.org
>> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>>
>>
>
I used a dvd-rw and a dvd-rw-dl on a dvd-rw-dl burner.
md5sum is correct.

Thanks david
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Rob Kampen 04-16-2010 03:02 AM

burning an image
 
david walcroft wrote:

On 04/15/2010 11:10 AM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:


On 15/04/10 09:58, david walcroft wrote:


I downloaded CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso but I haven't used Centos
before and I've haven't used a -bin-DVD.iso before,every attempt so far
to burn one has produced coasters,what do I do to get an image.


I've had graphical apps give me coasters on occasion. From the command
line you can try:

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso

(yes the syntax is a bit silly)

Kal



I have found K3b to be excellent for burning CD and DVD from iso and
making my own data disks.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


I tried your command but this error came up

[david@reddwarf ~]$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z
/dev/dvd=rpm/CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso

:-( /dev/dvd: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 0

I used a dvd-rw and a dvd-rw-dl with the same results.

Thanks david
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

david walcroft 04-16-2010 03:06 AM

burning an image
 
On 04/16/2010 01:02 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> david walcroft wrote:
>> On 04/15/2010 11:10 AM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
>>> On 15/04/10 09:58, david walcroft wrote:
>>>> I downloaded CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso but I haven't used Centos
>>>> before and I've haven't used a -bin-DVD.iso before,every attempt so far
>>>> to burn one has produced coasters,what do I do to get an image.
>>> I've had graphical apps give me coasters on occasion. From the command
>>> line you can try:
>>>
>>> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
>>>
>>> (yes the syntax is a bit silly)
>>>
>>> Kal
>>>
>>>
> I have found K3b to be excellent for burning CD and DVD from iso and
> making my own data disks.
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> CentOS mailing list
>>> CentOS@centos.org
>>> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>> I tried your command but this error came up
>>
>> [david@reddwarf ~]$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z
>> /dev/dvd=rpm/CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
>> :-( /dev/dvd: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 0
>>
>> I used a dvd-rw and a dvd-rw-dl with the same results.
>>
>> Thanks david
>> _______________________________________________
>> CentOS mailing list
>> CentOS@centos.org
>> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
Yes it is good and I use all the time

david
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Mogens Kjaer 04-16-2010 05:58 AM

burning an image
 
On 04/16/2010 04:59 AM, david walcroft wrote:
...
> I tried your command but this error came up
>
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z
> /dev/dvd=rpm/CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
> :-( /dev/dvd: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 0

What does this command say?

dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg A/S, Computer Department
Gamle Carlsberg Vej 10, DK-2500 Valby, Denmark
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Mobile: +45 22 12 53 25
Email: mk@crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Robert Heller 04-16-2010 11:12 AM

burning an image
 
At Fri, 16 Apr 2010 12:59:08 +1000 CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org> wrote:

>
> On 04/15/2010 11:10 AM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
> > On 15/04/10 09:58, david walcroft wrote:
> >> I downloaded CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso but I haven't used Centos
> >> before and I've haven't used a -bin-DVD.iso before,every attempt so far
> >> to burn one has produced coasters,what do I do to get an image.
> >
> > I've had graphical apps give me coasters on occasion. From the command
> > line you can try:
> >
> > growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
> >
> > (yes the syntax is a bit silly)
> >
> > Kal
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > CentOS mailing list
> > CentOS@centos.org
> > http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
> I tried your command but this error came up
>
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z
> /dev/dvd=rpm/CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
> :-( /dev/dvd: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 0
>
> I used a dvd-rw and a dvd-rw-dl with the same results.

Use a DVD-R.

Make sure your DVD burner is in fact working. Its heads *might* need
cleaning.

>
> Thanks david
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>

--
Robert Heller -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/ -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

04-16-2010 01:10 PM

burning an image
 
> On 04/15/2010 11:10 AM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
>> On 15/04/10 09:58, david walcroft wrote:
>>> I downloaded CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso but I haven't used Centos
>>> before and I've haven't used a -bin-DVD.iso before,every attempt so far
>>> to burn one has produced coasters,what do I do to get an image.
>>
>> I've had graphical apps give me coasters on occasion. From the command
>> line you can try:
>>
>> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
>>
>> (yes the syntax is a bit silly)
<snip>
Syntax, silly?
man growisofs
<snip>
There are several undocumented options commonly denoted with
-use-the-force-luke prefix
<snip>

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:02 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.