Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 AM
david walcroft

Default burning an image

On 04/18/2010 09:57 PM, Benjamin Donnachie wrote:
> On 18 April 2010 02:24, david walcroft<dwalcroft@bigpond.com> wrote:
>> The burnt dvd does not boot on a system reboot.
>
> Why not just buy a CentOS CD or DVD from one of the companies listed
> here, http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=24 ?
>
> Ben

Yes I went out and bought both i386 @ i86_64 bits on the net.

david

Old 04-20-2010, 06:12 AM
david walcroft

On 04/18/2010 10:09 PM, JohnS wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 11:24 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
>> On 04/17/2010 02:14 PM, JohnS wrote:
>
>>> Alrighty just for kicks put that centos dvd.iso on your desktop. Now
>>> right click on it and Click on "Write To Disk". If you have it in your
>>> menu it should plain out be like plug and play. So give that a whirl.
>>>
>>> John
>
>> Yes that burnt an 'Image' but there is only 5 directories and 10
>> 'Release Notes', there isn't a boot.iso. The burnt dvd does not boot on
>> a system reboot.
> ---
> Well I cant explain that, I use it every day. It is the easiest way for
> me unless I need something custom done. You may have other problems
> since all the other methods failed also.
> By chance you do not have a Compaq do you? or HP?
>
> John

No.

david

Old 04-20-2010, 06:12 AM
david walcroft

On 04/18/2010 10:11 PM, JohnS wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 11:24 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
>> On 04/17/2010 02:14 PM, JohnS wrote:
>
>> Yes that burnt an 'Image' but there is only 5 directories and 10
>> 'Release Notes', there isn't a boot.iso. The burnt dvd does not boot on
>> a system reboot.
> ---
> OHH do you have your cd rom set to boot in the BIOS?
>
> John

Yes.

david

Old 04-20-2010, 06:59 AM
david walcroft

On 04/18/2010 01:03 PM, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> david walcroft wrote:
>> I downloaded CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso but I haven't used Centos
>> before and I've haven't used a -bin-DVD.iso before,every attempt so far
>> to burn one has produced coasters,what do I do to get an image.
>>
>> Thanks david
>
> This is how I burn linux ISO's, rarely results in bad burn.
>
> As root -
>
> cdrecord -dev=/dev/scd0 -speed=8 -dao -pad -v whatever.iso
>
> You might need to change /dev/scd0 depending upon your system, that
> works for me with a SATA burner.
>
> If your iso is not sitting on a separate physical drive from / and
> /home, try not to use any apps while the burn is taking place.
>
> Don't use a faster speed just because your burner supports it, I've
> found that the faster the burn the more likely some drives are to reject
> it as a boot disk even when the burn process doesn't report any errors,
> not sure why.
>
> If all else fails and you have a second computer, you can burn the small
> boot.iso and mount the dvd image on the second computer and make it
> available over http. Then boot off of the boot.iso and do a network
> install. I frequently do it that way, as I don't see the point in
> wasting a DVD-R when the first thing I'm going to do after successful
> install is run yum update to replace a lot of the packages.

Thanks, I tried cdrecord changing /dev/scd0 to /dev/sr0 and it burnt the
same as I have been getting previously,no boot.iso. So I have some
5 coasters that need blanking,what cdrecord command do I use to blank
'dvd+rw's.

Thanks david

Old 04-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Todd Denniston

david walcroft wrote, On 04/20/2010 02:59 AM:

> Thanks, I tried cdrecord changing /dev/scd0 to /dev/sr0 and it burnt the
> same as I have been getting previously,no boot.iso. So I have some
> 5 coasters that need blanking,what cdrecord command do I use to blank
> 'dvd+rw's.
>
> Thanks david

As stated earlier:
The following links may be of some use for an attempt at "blanking" the disk before reuse.
DVD+RW
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html#AEN25355
Of course the source of growisofs may be of use
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
--
Todd Denniston

Old 04-20-2010, 09:36 PM
david walcroft

On 04/21/2010 04:37 AM, Todd Denniston wrote:
> david walcroft wrote, On 04/20/2010 02:59 AM:
>
>> Thanks, I tried cdrecord changing /dev/scd0 to /dev/sr0 and it burnt the
>> same as I have been getting previously,no boot.iso. So I have some
>> 5 coasters that need blanking,what cdrecord command do I use to blank
>> 'dvd+rw's.
>>
>> Thanks david
>
> As stated earlier:
> The following links may be of some use for an attempt at "blanking" the disk before reuse.
> DVD+RW
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html#AEN25355
> Of course the source of growisofs may be of use
> http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

Yes sorry I forgot that one.

Thanks david

Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 PM
John R Pierce

Todd Denniston wrote:
> The following links may be of some use for an attempt at "blanking" the disk before reuse.
> DVD+RW
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html#AEN25355
> Of course the source of growisofs may be of use
> http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

indeed, when I used CD-RW, I found they worked muhc better if you fully
erased them before reuse. I decided they weren't worth the hassle, and
due to how cheap CD-R (and now DVD-R) media is, I've never bothered with
the -RW stuff since. for reuse, I am more inclined to use a USB flash
memory.

I also had a lot of issues with CD-RW media not being as reliable to
read as -R on a wide range of readers, I don't know if this applies to
DVD-RW or not, but I've had enough issues with DVD_R media being hard to
read on the slimline DVD drives many servers have that I don't want to
push my luck.