FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Todd Denniston
 
Default burning an image

david walcroft wrote, On 04/15/2010 10:59 PM:
> On 04/15/2010 11:10 AM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
>> On 15/04/10 09:58, david walcroft wrote:
>>> I downloaded CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso but I haven't used Centos
>>> before and I've haven't used a -bin-DVD.iso before,every attempt so far
>>> to burn one has produced coasters,what do I do to get an image.
>> I've had graphical apps give me coasters on occasion. From the command
>> line you can try:
>>
>> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
>
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z
> /dev/dvd=rpm/CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
> :-( /dev/dvd: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 0
>
> I used a dvd-rw and a dvd-rw-dl with the same results.
>
> Thanks david

I tend to use /dev/dvdwriter, it should not make a difference as they are all softlinks to
/dev/YourDVDdevice, though I think I have seen some difference in behavior when used as /dev/dvd vs
/dev/cdrom by gnome-mount.

As I don't think you have been clear on this point yet...is your *_MEDIA_* DVD+RW or DVD-RW, or one
of the DVD+R or DVD-R variety?


The following links may be of some use for an attempt at "blanking" the disk before reuse.
DVD+RW
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html#AEN25355
DVD-RW
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html#AEN25401
it looks like, from my quick read, DVD-RW may need an explicit blank before reuse

Of course the source of growisofs may be of use
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

--
Todd Denniston
Crane Division, Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC Crane)
Harnessing the Power of Technology for the Warfighter
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 PM
david walcroft
 
Default burning an image

On 04/16/2010 03:58 PM, Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> On 04/16/2010 04:59 AM, david walcroft wrote:
> ...
>> I tried your command but this error came up
>>
>> [david@reddwarf ~]$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z
>> /dev/dvd=rpm/CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
>> :-( /dev/dvd: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 0
>
> What does this command say?
>
> dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
>
> Mogens
>
[david@reddwarf ~]$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
/dev/dvd: unable to open: No such file or directory

Thanks david
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-16-2010, 11:25 PM
david walcroft
 
Default burning an image

On 04/17/2010 12:07 AM, Todd Denniston wrote:
> david walcroft wrote, On 04/15/2010 10:59 PM:
>> On 04/15/2010 11:10 AM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
>>> On 15/04/10 09:58, david walcroft wrote:
>>>> I downloaded CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso but I haven't used Centos
>>>> before and I've haven't used a -bin-DVD.iso before,every attempt so far
>>>> to burn one has produced coasters,what do I do to get an image.
>>> I've had graphical apps give me coasters on occasion. From the command
>>> line you can try:
>>>
>>> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
>>
>> [david@reddwarf ~]$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z
>> /dev/dvd=rpm/CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
>> :-( /dev/dvd: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 0
>>
>> I used a dvd-rw and a dvd-rw-dl with the same results.
>>
>> Thanks david
>
> I tend to use /dev/dvdwriter, it should not make a difference as they are all softlinks to
> /dev/YourDVDdevice, though I think I have seen some difference in behavior when used as /dev/dvd vs
> /dev/cdrom by gnome-mount.
>
> As I don't think you have been clear on this point yet...is your *_MEDIA_* DVD+RW or DVD-RW, or one
> of the DVD+R or DVD-R variety?
>
>
> The following links may be of some use for an attempt at "blanking" the disk before reuse.
> DVD+RW
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html#AEN25355
> DVD-RW
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html#AEN25401
> it looks like, from my quick read, DVD-RW may need an explicit blank before reuse
>
> Of course the source of growisofs may be of use
> http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
>
I use a mix of media. dvd-rw and dvd+r dl
Is the 'bin' in CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso of any significance,as I
haven't seen it before.

Thanks david

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-17-2010, 03:40 AM
Robert
 
Default burning an image

On 04/16/2010 06:17 PM, david walcroft informed us:
> On 04/16/2010 03:58 PM, Mogens Kjaer wrote:
>
>> On 04/16/2010 04:59 AM, david walcroft wrote:
>> ...
>>
>>> I tried your command but this error came up
>>>
>>> [david@reddwarf ~]$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z
>>> /dev/dvd=rpm/CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
>>> :-( /dev/dvd: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 0
>>>
>> What does this command say?
>>
>> dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
>>
>> Mogens
>>
>>
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
> /dev/dvd: unable to open: No such file or directory
>
> Thanks david
>
Sometimes devices can be elusive, especially if one is external.
Try this to locate drives and symlinks:

[root@madeleine ~]# ls -l /dev | grep dvd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Apr 16 21:17 dvd -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Apr 16 21:17 dvd-hda -> hda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Apr 16 21:17 dvd-hdb -> hdb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Apr 16 21:17 dvdrw -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Apr 16 21:17 dvdrw-hda -> hda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Apr 16 21:17 dvdrw-hdb -> hdb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Apr 16 21:17 dvdrw-sr0 -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Apr 16 21:17 dvd-sr0 -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Apr 16 21:17 dvdwriter -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Apr 16 21:17 dvdwriter-hda
-> hda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Apr 16 21:17 dvdwriter-hdb
-> hdb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Apr 16 21:17 dvdwriter-sr0
-> scd0

Also, the obvious but easily overlooked... Be sure to use "/dev/dvd",
not "dev/dvd"

BTW, dvd+rw-mediainfo DOES work:

[rj@madeleine rj]$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
INQUIRY: [HP ][DVD Writer 1040r][MH21]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
Mounted Media: 13h, DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite
Media ID: TDK601saku
Current Write Speed: 4.0x1385=5540KB/s
Write Speed #0: 4.0x1385=5540KB/s
GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE:
Write Performance: 4.0x1385=5540KB/s@[0 -> 936159]
Speed Descriptor#0: 00/936159 R@7.7x1385=10704KB/s
W@4.0x1385=5540KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#10h]:
Media Book Type: 00h, DVD-ROM book [revision 0]
Legacy lead-out at: 2298496*2KB=4707319808
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
Media Book Type: 33h, DVD-RW book [revision 3]
Last border-out at: 2045*2KB=4188160
READ DISC INFORMATION:
Disc status: complete
Number of Sessions: 1
State of Last Session: complete
Number of Tracks: 1
READ FORMAT CAPACITIES:
formatted: 936160*2048=1917255680
00h(800): 2297888*2048=4706074624
10h(10): 2297888*2048=4706074624
13h(10): 1361728*2048=2788818944
15h(10): 2297888*2048=4706074624
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
Track State: complete incremental
Track Start Address: 0*2KB
Free Blocks: 0*2KB
Fixed Packet Size: 16*2KB
Track Size: 936160*2KB
FABRICATED TOC:
Track#1 : 14@0
Track#AA : 17@936160
Multi-session Info: #1@0
READ CAPACITY: 936160*2048=1917255680
[rj@madeleine rj]$

Good luck!
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-17-2010, 04:14 AM
JohnS
 
Default burning an image

On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 09:25 +1000, david walcroft wrote:

> I use a mix of media. dvd-rw and dvd+r dl
> Is the 'bin' in CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso of any significance,as I
> haven't seen it before.
---
Alrighty just for kicks put that centos dvd.iso on your desktop. Now
right click on it and Click on "Write To Disk". If you have it in your
menu it should plain out be like plug and play. So give that a whirl.

John

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-18-2010, 01:24 AM
david walcroft
 
Default burning an image

On 04/17/2010 02:14 PM, JohnS wrote:
>
> On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 09:25 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
>
>> I use a mix of media. dvd-rw and dvd+r dl
>> Is the 'bin' in CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso of any significance,as I
>> haven't seen it before.
> ---
> Alrighty just for kicks put that centos dvd.iso on your desktop. Now
> right click on it and Click on "Write To Disk". If you have it in your
> menu it should plain out be like plug and play. So give that a whirl.
>
> John
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
Yes that burnt an 'Image' but there is only 5 directories and 10
'Release Notes', there isn't a boot.iso. The burnt dvd does not boot on
a system reboot.

Thanks david
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-18-2010, 03:03 AM
"Michael A. Peters"
 
Default burning an image

david walcroft wrote:
> I downloaded CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso but I haven't used Centos
> before and I've haven't used a -bin-DVD.iso before,every attempt so far
> to burn one has produced coasters,what do I do to get an image.
>
> Thanks david

This is how I burn linux ISO's, rarely results in bad burn.

As root -

cdrecord -dev=/dev/scd0 -speed=8 -dao -pad -v whatever.iso

You might need to change /dev/scd0 depending upon your system, that
works for me with a SATA burner.

If your iso is not sitting on a separate physical drive from / and
/home, try not to use any apps while the burn is taking place.

Don't use a faster speed just because your burner supports it, I've
found that the faster the burn the more likely some drives are to reject
it as a boot disk even when the burn process doesn't report any errors,
not sure why.

If all else fails and you have a second computer, you can burn the small
boot.iso and mount the dvd image on the second computer and make it
available over http. Then boot off of the boot.iso and do a network
install. I frequently do it that way, as I don't see the point in
wasting a DVD-R when the first thing I'm going to do after successful
install is run yum update to replace a lot of the packages.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Benjamin Donnachie
 
Default burning an image

On 18 April 2010 02:24, david walcroft <dwalcroft@bigpond.com> wrote:
> The burnt dvd does not boot on a system reboot.

Why not just buy a CentOS CD or DVD from one of the companies listed
here, http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=24 ?

Ben
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-18-2010, 12:09 PM
JohnS
 
Default burning an image

On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 11:24 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> On 04/17/2010 02:14 PM, JohnS wrote:

> > Alrighty just for kicks put that centos dvd.iso on your desktop. Now
> > right click on it and Click on "Write To Disk". If you have it in your
> > menu it should plain out be like plug and play. So give that a whirl.
> >
> > John

> Yes that burnt an 'Image' but there is only 5 directories and 10
> 'Release Notes', there isn't a boot.iso. The burnt dvd does not boot on
> a system reboot.
---
Well I cant explain that, I use it every day. It is the easiest way for
me unless I need something custom done. You may have other problems
since all the other methods failed also.
By chance you do not have a Compaq do you? or HP?

John

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-18-2010, 12:11 PM
JohnS
 
Default burning an image

On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 11:24 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> On 04/17/2010 02:14 PM, JohnS wrote:

> Yes that burnt an 'Image' but there is only 5 directories and 10
> 'Release Notes', there isn't a boot.iso. The burnt dvd does not boot on
> a system reboot.
---
OHH do you have your cd rom set to boot in the BIOS?

John

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:12 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org