Old 04-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Matt

Default CentOS 5.x and Fedora

Which Fedora release is the CentOS 5.x kernel based on? I am wanting
to know which Fedora rpm's I would have the best luck installing on
CentOS 5.x 64 bit.

Matt

Old 04-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Barry Brimer

Quoting Matt <lm7812@gmail.com>:

> Which Fedora release is the CentOS 5.x kernel based on? I am wanting
> to know which Fedora rpm's I would have the best luck installing on
> CentOS 5.x 64 bit.

Fedora Core 6. Please understand that FC6 is no longer supported by Fedora, and
hasn't been for a couple of years.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Barry Brimer <lists@brimer.org> wrote:
> Quoting Matt <lm7812@gmail.com>:
>
>> Which Fedora release is the CentOS 5.x kernel based on? *I am wanting
>> to know which Fedora rpm's I would have the best luck installing on
>> CentOS 5.x 64 bit.
>
> Fedora Core 6. *Please understand that FC6 is no longer supported by Fedora, and
> hasn't been for a couple of years.

This CentOS wiki article has useful information as to why you'd better
rebuild from srpms and how:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/RebuildSRPM

Akemi

Old 04-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Matt

> Which Fedora release is the CentOS 5.x kernel based on? *I am wanting
> to know which Fedora rpm's I would have the best luck installing on
> CentOS 5.x 64 bit.

I am really looking for a Squid 3.1 rpm for CentOS 5.x.

Matt

Old 04-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/14/2010 5:16 PM, Matt wrote:
>> Which Fedora release is the CentOS 5.x kernel based on? I am wanting
>> to know which Fedora rpm's I would have the best luck installing on
>> CentOS 5.x 64 bit.
>
> I am really looking for a Squid 3.1 rpm for CentOS 5.x.

At least some new stuff is backported into the version in the 5.4
update. It changed behavior regarding letting you override the cache
settings in the content headers with a configured refresh pattern. And
I didn't think that was done before the 3.x versions in the base source.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Robert Heller

> Quoting Matt <lm7812@gmail.com>:
>
> > Which Fedora release is the CentOS 5.x kernel based on? I am wanting
> > to know which Fedora rpm's I would have the best luck installing on
> > CentOS 5.x 64 bit.
>
> Fedora Core 6. Please understand that FC6 is no longer supported by Fedora, and
> hasn't been for a couple of years.

And RedHat backports security fixes and driver updates to the kernels
released with RHEL (and thus CentOS. An actual CentOS kernel will
actually be more up-to-date than any FC6 kernel you might find floating
around the net.

Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Old 04-15-2010, 01:16 AM
Ryan Manikowski

On 4/14/2010 6:27 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 4/14/2010 5:16 PM, Matt wrote:
>
>>> Which Fedora release is the CentOS 5.x kernel based on? I am wanting
>>> to know which Fedora rpm's I would have the best luck installing on
>>> CentOS 5.x 64 bit.
>>>
>> I am really looking for a Squid 3.1 rpm for CentOS 5.x.
>>
> At least some new stuff is backported into the version in the 5.4
> update. It changed behavior regarding letting you override the cache
> settings in the content headers with a configured refresh pattern. And
> I didn't think that was done before the 3.x versions in the base source.

See here for instructions on building an rpm of squid 3.1 for Centos 5.x:

http://www.x83.net/install-squid-3-1-on-centos-5-x/

--
Ryan Manikowski

]] Devision Media Services LLC [[
www.devision.us
ryan@devision.us | 716.771.2282

Old 04-15-2010, 04:31 AM
Jobst Schmalenbach

A few months ago I had two machines that I changed to CentOS, note I
did not say upgrade ;-) one was a FC6 and the other one FC7.

I put the CentOS 5.4 DVD in, booted, selected install over other OS.
It went OK after I solved a few issues with SOME packages (package-cleanup)

Both actually are a DOWNGRADE as on BOTH machines I have still some
FC packages hanging around as rpm thinks they have a HIGHER number
and hence keeps them.

I wouldn't do it, if I be in your shoes as you end up with all
the other lib stuff on the system.

GO and see whether you can get the "real stuff".

jobst

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 04:21:19PM -0500, Matt (lm7812@gmail.com) wrote:
> Which Fedora release is the CentOS 5.x kernel based on? I am wanting
> to know which Fedora rpm's I would have the best luck installing on
> CentOS 5.x 64 bit.
>
> Matt

Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software !

Old 04-15-2010, 04:32 AM
Jobst Schmalenbach

why dont you download the source and compile it, its really easy.

Jobst

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 05:16:52PM -0500, Matt (lm7812@gmail.com) wrote:
> > Which Fedora release is the CentOS 5.x kernel based on? *I am wanting
> > to know which Fedora rpm's I would have the best luck installing on
> > CentOS 5.x 64 bit.
>
> I am really looking for a Squid 3.1 rpm for CentOS 5.x.
>
> Matt

best accelerated mac = 9.8 m/(s*s)

Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Ned Slider

Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
> why dont you download the source and compile it, its really easy.

Source installs are not encouraged:

http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/SourceInstalls