FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default Building an "instant on" X terminal

On 4/14/2010 2:38 PM, Stephen Harris wrote:
> I got my hands on a HP t5720. This was designed as a thin-client
> workstation (originally Windows XPembedded, talking to a Windows terminal
> server). It's not very powerful, with an AMD Geode NX 1500 (1.0 GHz),
> 256Mb RAM (16MB used for video) and a 512Mb flash "hard disk".
>
> I plugged in a USB DVD drive and was able to boot "linux rescue" from
> a C5.4 32bit disk, and it basically looks like pretty generic PC hardware.
>
> So I thought this would be a great device to build as an "instant on"
> type device. Well, as close to instant-on as possible :-) This probably
> means a standard C5 build is not suitable (too many processes running;
> would take a while to start up). So an "X terminal", maybe.
>
> I look at the LTSP code base, but this looks like it wants to run as it's
> own OS; I already have a C5 server in my house, I don't want to build
> another one (not even as a virtual image).

LTSP doesn't install another OS on the server - it PXE-boots one to
client devices with just enough to run X as a thin client. That would
probably work for you - or whatever local install you can do that
doesn't start X and once it is up, do 'X -query server'.

> Acting as an X terminal, I'd guess the 256Mb RAM should be sufficient;
> it won't be processing much beyond the display locally (although I might
> want to enable ssh and add a locally connected printer). The root disk
> could be local (512Mb flash) or by NFS.
>
> What do people recommend for building this? What would have the quickest
> power-on-to-ready time?

This probably isn't what you want, but my favorite for quick access is a
windows or mac laptop that handles sleep mode gracefully and let it
sleep instead of powering off. Then when it wakes up and gets a network
connection (in a few seconds), fire up the NX client from
www.nomachine.com to connect to a freenx session on your server - which
you can disconnect and re-connect as needed with everything on the
desktop still running. Some of the more current linux distributions
might handle sleep mode but you'd either have to install a local window
manager or work to get it to run the nx client in a bare X session.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Stephen Harris
 
Default Building an "instant on" X terminal

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 03:04:26PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 4/14/2010 2:38 PM, Stephen Harris wrote:
> > I look at the LTSP code base, but this looks like it wants to run as it's
> > own OS; I already have a C5 server in my house, I don't want to build
>
> LTSP doesn't install another OS on the server - it PXE-boots one to
> client devices with just enough to run X as a thin client. That would
> probably work for you - or whatever local install you can do that
> doesn't start X and once it is up, do 'X -query server'.

My reading of the ltsp pages is that they prefer to distribute it as
an OS image, with the ltsp components already integrated and that it's
"hard work" to do the integration yourself.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ltsp/index.php?title=Ltsp5Status
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ltsp/index.php?title=IntegratingLtsp

Has this changed?

--

rgds
Stephen
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Stephen Harris
 
Default Building an "instant on" X terminal

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 07:50:42PM +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >What do people recommend for building this? What would have the quickest
> >power-on-to-ready time?
>
> Well, you could use thin station, I have used it in the past and its pretty
> slick...

Hmm... I'll take a look at that.

Thanks!

--

rgds
Stephen
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 PM
R P Herrold
 
Default Building an "instant on" X terminal

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010, Stephen Harris wrote:

> My reading of the ltsp pages is that they prefer to distribute it as
> an OS image, with the ltsp components already integrated and that it's
> "hard work" to do the integration yourself.
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ltsp/index.php?title=Ltsp5Status
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ltsp/index.php?title=IntegratingLtsp

It is distribution integration, and as to the PXE image a bit
of kernel/library stabilization. Over time has lived from
many sources. Laborious and picky, particularly when multiple
targets are maintained, but not superhuman to do

-- Russ herrold
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Reynolds McClatchey
 
Default Building an "instant on" X terminal

Install the image for a t5725 from a USB stick. Very cool.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=322186 4&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3221863 &lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20%BB
--
M Reynolds McClatchey Jr VP Engineering and Inventory
Southern Aluminum Finishing Co Inc 404-355-1560 x222 Voice
1581 Huber St NW 404-350-0581 Fax
Atlanta GA 30318


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default Building an "instant on" X terminal

On 4/14/2010 3:26 PM, Stephen Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 03:04:26PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On 4/14/2010 2:38 PM, Stephen Harris wrote:
>>> I look at the LTSP code base, but this looks like it wants to run as it's
>>> own OS; I already have a C5 server in my house, I don't want to build
>>
>> LTSP doesn't install another OS on the server - it PXE-boots one to
>> client devices with just enough to run X as a thin client. That would
>> probably work for you - or whatever local install you can do that
>> doesn't start X and once it is up, do 'X -query server'.
>
> My reading of the ltsp pages is that they prefer to distribute it as
> an OS image, with the ltsp components already integrated and that it's
> "hard work" to do the integration yourself.
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ltsp/index.php?title=Ltsp5Status
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ltsp/index.php?title=IntegratingLtsp
>
> Has this changed?

Sort-of... In recent Fedora versions ltsp5 is a packaged rpm. For a
Centos base the easiest approach might be to re-install the k12ltsp EL5
distribution which is basically a stock Centos plus ltsp4, plus some
other education-related stuff. A few years ago I would have recommended
it highly, but it seems on it's way out now. You might be able to pick
out the rpms and setup scripts that you'd need to back into an existing
distribution but it's probably not worth the trouble for one terminal.
More info here:
http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Robert Heller
 
Default Building an "instant on" X terminal

At Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:38:20 -0400 CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org> wrote:

>
> I got my hands on a HP t5720. This was designed as a thin-client
> workstation (originally Windows XPembedded, talking to a Windows terminal
> server). It's not very powerful, with an AMD Geode NX 1500 (1.0 GHz),
> 256Mb RAM (16MB used for video) and a 512Mb flash "hard disk".
>
> I plugged in a USB DVD drive and was able to boot "linux rescue" from
> a C5.4 32bit disk, and it basically looks like pretty generic PC hardware.
>
> So I thought this would be a great device to build as an "instant on"
> type device. Well, as close to instant-on as possible :-) This probably
> means a standard C5 build is not suitable (too many processes running;
> would take a while to start up). So an "X terminal", maybe.
>
> I look at the LTSP code base, but this looks like it wants to run as it's
> own OS; I already have a C5 server in my house, I don't want to build
> another one (not even as a virtual image).
>
> Acting as an X terminal, I'd guess the 256Mb RAM should be sufficient;
> it won't be processing much beyond the display locally (although I might
> want to enable ssh and add a locally connected printer). The root disk
> could be local (512Mb flash) or by NFS.
>
> What do people recommend for building this? What would have the quickest
> power-on-to-ready time?

You will *probably* find LTSP's performance disapointing, depending on
how beefy your server box is (and what else it is doing) and/or how
many of these little boxes you plan to use.

See

http://www.deepsoft.com/2009/08/setting-up-thin-clients-at-the-wendell-free-library-part-1/

for a detailed look at what I set up at the Wendell Free Library. The
machines come up pretty fast.


--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/ -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Stephen Harris
 
Default Building an "instant on" X terminal

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 04:37:21PM -0400, Reynolds McClatchey wrote:
> Install the image for a t5725 from a USB stick. Very cool.

Huh. A small version of Debian Etch. Boots (once POST has complted)
in under 25 seconds.

Hmm, old versions of software, and "apt-get upgrade" causes the system
to die (root disk filled out) but definitely a possibility.

Thanks!

--

rgds
Stephen
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Stephen Harris
 
Default Building an "instant on" X terminal

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 05:11:12PM -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> > I got my hands on a HP t5720. This was designed as a thin-client

> > What do people recommend for building this? What would have the quickest
> > power-on-to-ready time?
>
> You will *probably* find LTSP's performance disapointing, depending on
> how beefy your server box is (and what else it is doing) and/or how
> many of these little boxes you plan to use.

The server is a Q6600 which is mostly idle; I hope it's fast enough :-)

> http://www.deepsoft.com/2009/08/setting-up-thin-clients-at-the-wendell-free-library-part-1/

Interesting. Thanks!

--

rgds
Stephen
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-15-2010, 12:26 AM
Benjamin Franz
 
Default Building an "instant on" X terminal

Stephen Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 04:37:21PM -0400, Reynolds McClatchey wrote:
> Huh. A small version of Debian Etch. Boots (once POST has complted)
> in under 25 seconds.
>
> Hmm, old versions of software, and "apt-get upgrade" causes the system
> to die (root disk filled out) but definitely a possibility.
>

If you aren't adverse to Ubuntu, 10.04 LTS (beta right now but final by
the end of the month) boots in 10 seconds from a hard drive. I've tried
it: It was impressively fast.

--
Benjamin Franz
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:53 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org