Old 04-14-2010, 02:58 PM

Default How Do I ...

All,

I've got a machine running CentOS 5.3
and this machine has got 2 - built-in 1 Gig NICs and a expansion card with
4 - 100 Meg NICs. *For whatever reason at install time, it made the
expansion card eth0 through eth3 and the internal ports eth4 and eth5.
And by default the 'machine' is known on the network by the eth0 NIC, so
my throughput is limited to 100 Mb. *How can I force the internal
NICs to be eth0 and eth1?

Thanks,

Gene Poole_____________________________________________ __
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org

Old 04-14-2010, 03:00 PM

All,

I've got a machine running Fedora 11

gene.poole@macys.com

Old 04-14-2010, 03:03 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>How can I force the internal NICs to be eth0 and eth1?

Edit the hardware address in the ifcfg-ethx scripts and the ips
of the nics in question to be on the subnet of choice and
arrangement of choice. Add a route statement or I think placing
your gateway line in the eth cfg script should do that.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:04 PM
"Gabriel Rosca"

You can go to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts , edit and move *around
ifcfg-ethX files

*

*

Gabe

*

Old 04-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/14/2010 9:58 AM, gene.poole@macys.com wrote:
> All,
>
> I've got a machine running CentOS 5.3 and this machine has got 2 -
> built-in 1 Gig NICs and a expansion card with 4 - 100 Meg NICs. For
> whatever reason at install time, it made the expansion card eth0 through
> eth3 and the internal ports eth4 and eth5. And by default the 'machine'
> is known on the network by the eth0 NIC, so my throughput is limited to
> 100 Mb. How can I force the internal NICs to be eth0 and eth1?

The eth? names are assigned in more or less random order at bootup, but
once configured are tied to the NICs by the ethernet hardware addresses.
The easy approach is to leave the names the same but change the IP
addresses assigned to them. Do you have a GUI setup where you can run
system-config-network?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-14-2010, 03:12 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>The eth? names are assigned in more or less random order at bootup

Not exactly "random" but not always as expected
http://linux.dell.com/files/whitepapers/nic-enum-whitepaper-v3.pdf

Old 04-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/14/2010 10:04 AM, Gabriel Rosca wrote:
> You can go to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts , edit and move around
> ifcfg-ethX files

But you can't just rename them. They have the device name inside the
file also and are tied to the corresponding NIC by the hardware address.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-14-2010, 03:51 PM
John Doe

From: "gene.poole@macys.com" <gene.poole@macys.com>
> I've got a machine running CentOS 5.3
> and this machine has got 2 - built-in 1 Gig NICs and a expansion card with
> 4 - 100 Meg NICs. For whatever reason at install time, it made the
> expansion card eth0 through eth3 and the internal ports eth4 and eth5.
> And by default the 'machine' is known on the network by the eth0 NIC, so
> my throughput is limited to 100 Mb. How can I force the internal
> NICs to be eth0 and eth1?

Maybe look at /etc/modprobe.conf
Don't forget to change the MACs

JD

Old 04-14-2010, 03:58 PM
JohnS

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 15:12 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >The eth? names are assigned in more or less random order at bootup
>
> Not exactly "random" but not always as expected
> http://linux.dell.com/files/whitepapers/nic-enum-whitepaper-v3.pdf
---
Nice paper by Michael.. What I do is disable all the nics in the bios
via console rdir of drac 3 -5. Enable one at a time to install then
enable the other integrated nics. Then have the the other nic hardware
installed. Can also be done remote or local. It eases the frustration.
Then you have them in the order you want.

John

Old 04-14-2010, 04:05 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Nice paper by Michael.. What I do is disable all the nics in the bios
>via console rdir of drac 3 -5. Enable one at a time to install then
>enable the other integrated nics. Then have the the other nic hardware
>installed. Can also be done remote or local. It eases the frustration.
>Then you have them in the order you want.

Or use HP's