Old 04-14-2010, 06:03 AM
Christopher Chan

Default OpenJDK vs Sun JDK

Hi all,

Any comments as to Centos/RHEL 5.3's openjdk implementation versus Sun's?

cheers,

Christopher

Old 04-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Eero Volotinen

2010/4/14 Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk>:
> Hi all,
>
> Any comments as to Centos/RHEL 5.3's openjdk implementation versus Sun's?

it's at least missing webstart ?

--
Eero

Old 04-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Christopher Chan

On Wednesday, April 14, 2010 02:26 PM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> 2010/4/14 Christopher Chan<christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Any comments as to Centos/RHEL 5.3's openjdk implementation versus Sun's?
>
> it's at least missing webstart ?

Hmm, not sure if that is crucial to Corendal's operation...I guess I
will just give openjdk a shot and switch if it borks on me.

Cheers,

Christopher

Old 04-16-2010, 03:44 AM
Agile Aspect

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Any comments as to Centos/RHEL 5.3's openjdk implementation versus Sun's?
>
> cheers,
>
> Christopher

RedHat has acknowleged that Sun's JDK is faster - despite the fact
OpenJDK is native. Since it's native, it also means it's not platform
independent (in the sense of compile once run anywhere.)

See the Fedora mailing list - there was discussion about a year ago.

--
Enjoy global warming while it lasts.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Mathieu Baudier

> RedHat has acknowleged that Sun's JDK is faster - despite the fact
> OpenJDK is native. Since it's native, it also means it's not platform
> independent (in the sense of compile once run anywhere.)

What do you mean "is native" ?

The JDK (or rather the JVM) is native on all OS, since it is the layer
which makes the Java compiled bytecode portable.
OpenJDK could even be seen as more portable since the IcedTea build
harness allows to port it to more platforms via the Zero JIT (there is
a significant amount of processor-dependent assembler code in the JVM)

I'm using OpenJDK on my servers and desktops under CentOS/Fedora for
years, and my customers run the Java binaries on Windows without
problem.

I have no idea about speed difference, but I would be a bit surprised
if it would be very big.
My understanding is that the (native) Hotspot JVM is basically the
same for both products and that the differences are about some java
libraries.
That would be interesting if you could send a reference to this Fedora thread.

More generally OpenJDK is not a separate independent project (like
Blackdown used to be, or Apache Harmony still is), this is just the
Sun JVM codebase, with compatible licenses (some patches are then
applied by the IcedTea build harness when building the binaries from
OpenJDK sources).

Old 04-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Christopher Chan

On Friday, April 16, 2010 02:54 PM, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>> RedHat has acknowleged that Sun's JDK is faster - despite the fact
>> OpenJDK is native. Since it's native, it also means it's not platform
>> independent (in the sense of compile once run anywhere.)
>
> What do you mean "is native" ?

I assumed he meant that the class files compiled by OpenJDK are native...

> The JDK (or rather the JVM) is native on all OS, since it is the layer
> which makes the Java compiled bytecode portable.
> OpenJDK could even be seen as more portable since the IcedTea build
> harness allows to port it to more platforms via the Zero JIT (there is
> a significant amount of processor-dependent assembler code in the JVM)
>
> I'm using OpenJDK on my servers and desktops under CentOS/Fedora for
> years, and my customers run the Java binaries on Windows without
> problem.

I guess that assumption can now go out the window. Maybe he was talking
about gcj thinking it was OpenJDK...

I have no idea about speed difference, but I would be a bit surprised
> if it would be very big.
> My understanding is that the (native) Hotspot JVM is basically the
> same for both products and that the differences are about some java
> libraries.
> That would be interesting if you could send a reference to this Fedora thread.
>
> More generally OpenJDK is not a separate independent project (like
> Blackdown used to be, or Apache Harmony still is), this is just the
> Sun JVM codebase, with compatible licenses (some patches are then
> applied by the IcedTea build harness when building the binaries from
> OpenJDK sources).

Most of the Sun codebase anyway...

Old 04-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Les Mikesell

Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>> RedHat has acknowleged that Sun's JDK is faster - despite the fact
>> OpenJDK is native. Since it's native, it also means it's not platform
>> independent (in the sense of compile once run anywhere.)
>
> What do you mean "is native" ?
>
> The JDK (or rather the JVM) is native on all OS, since it is the layer
> which makes the Java compiled bytecode portable.
> OpenJDK could even be seen as more portable since the IcedTea build
> harness allows to port it to more platforms via the Zero JIT (there is
> a significant amount of processor-dependent assembler code in the JVM)
>
> I'm using OpenJDK on my servers and desktops under CentOS/Fedora for
> years, and my customers run the Java binaries on Windows without
> problem.
>
> I have no idea about speed difference, but I would be a bit surprised
> if it would be very big.
> My understanding is that the (native) Hotspot JVM is basically the
> same for both products and that the differences are about some java
> libraries.
> That would be interesting if you could send a reference to this Fedora thread.
>
> More generally OpenJDK is not a separate independent project (like
> Blackdown used to be, or Apache Harmony still is), this is just the
> Sun JVM codebase, with compatible licenses (some patches are then
> applied by the IcedTea build harness when building the binaries from
> OpenJDK sources).

I thought they were pretty much the same with OpenJDK just having some rewritten
code due to third party license issues in the Sun version. There may still be
some bugs and missing functionality especially with the older version that
RHEL/Centos includes. For example, OpenNMS would require a newer OpenJDK but
runs with (and includes, if you use their yum repo) a Sun 1.5 version.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-21-2010, 02:45 AM
Gordon Messmer

On 04/15/2010 08:44 PM, Agile Aspect wrote:

> RedHat has acknowleged that Sun's JDK is faster - despite the fact
> OpenJDK is native.

Are you confusing OpenJDK with gcj? It sounds that way.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Agile Aspect

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Gordon Messmer

> Are you confusing OpenJDK with gcj?

GCJ produces objects and runs roughly 10 times faster then either
OpenJDK or Sun's JDK.

>*It sounds that way.

The sound must be coming from the voices in your head.

--
Enjoy global warming while it lasts.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Gordon Messmer

On 04/21/2010 01:29 PM, Agile Aspect wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Gordon Messmer
>
>> Are you confusing OpenJDK with gcj?
>>
> GCJ produces objects and runs roughly 10 times faster then either
> OpenJDK or Sun's JDK.

Citation?

>> It sounds that way.
>>
> The sound must be coming from the voices in your head.

OK. What did you mean when you stated that OpenJDK is "native"?