Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 PM
ken

Default iTunes on CentOS??

Anyone know how to download and play stuff from itunes.apple.com
(without having to use Windows or Mac)?

--
Find research and analysis on US healthcare, health insurance,
and health policy at: <http://healthpolicydaily.blogspot.com/>

Old 04-13-2010, 09:26 PM
ken

On 04/13/2010 05:08 PM ken wrote:
> Anyone know how to download and play stuff from itunes.apple.com
> (without having to use Windows or Mac)?

Apparently iTunes installs and runs on wine. I'm gonna try that. Stay
tuned (but not necessarily "iTuned").

yuk yuk yuk

Old 04-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Andrew Hull

On 04/13/2010 05:26 PM, ken wrote:

> Stay tuned (but not necessarily "iTuned").

Que the sad trombone!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:36 PM
ken

On 04/13/2010 05:26 PM ken wrote:
> On 04/13/2010 05:08 PM ken wrote:
>> Anyone know how to download and play stuff from itunes.apple.com
>> (without having to use Windows or Mac)?
>>

> Apparently iTunes installs and runs on wine. I'm gonna try that. Stay
> tuned....

Well, I got wine installed, but iTunesSetup.exe cannot complete its
installation. It starts up, downloads files, but spits out a lot of
error messages of the type:

err:module:import_dll Library icuuc40.dll (which is needed by
L"C:Program FilesCommon FilesAppleApple Application
SupportCoreFoundation.dll") not found

Then it says, Can't install. Try again later.

Has anyone gotten iTunes running on wine?

tia,
ken

Old 04-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 15:36 -0400, ken wrote:
> On 04/13/2010 05:26 PM ken wrote:
> > On 04/13/2010 05:08 PM ken wrote:
> >> Anyone know how to download and play stuff from itunes.apple.com
> >> (without having to use Windows or Mac)?
> >>

> > Apparently iTunes installs and runs on wine. I'm gonna try that. Stay
> > tuned....
>
> Well, I got wine installed, but iTunesSetup.exe cannot complete its
> installation. It starts up, downloads files, but spits out a lot of
> error messages of the type:
>
> err:module:import_dll Library icuuc40.dll (which is needed by
> L"C:Program FilesCommon FilesAppleApple Application
> SupportCoreFoundation.dll") not found
>
> Then it says, Can't install. Try again later.
>

> Has anyone gotten iTunes running on wine?
----
never bothered trying

I think if I recall correctly, at about Fedora 6, I was using gtkpod to
access iPod (probably won't work on iPhone or iPod Touch) and mplayer to
play content.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:07 PM
ken

On 04/14/2010 03:48 PM Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 15:36 -0400, ken wrote:
>>>>
>>> Apparently iTunes installs and runs on wine. I'm gonna try that. Stay
>>> tuned....
>> Well, I got wine installed, but iTunesSetup.exe cannot complete its
>> installation. It starts up, downloads files, but spits out a lot of
>> error messages of the type:
>>
>> err:module:import_dll Library icuuc40.dll (which is needed by
>> L"C:Program FilesCommon FilesAppleApple Application
>> SupportCoreFoundation.dll") not found
>>
>> Then it says, Can't install. Try again later.
>>

>> Has anyone gotten iTunes running on wine?

> I think if I recall correctly, at about Fedora 6, I was using gtkpod to
> access iPod (probably won't work on iPhone or iPod Touch) and mplayer to
> play content.

The actual problem is *getting* (downloading) from itunes.apple.com...
For this I believe it's necessary to have iTunes installed and running
properly.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:00 AM
john maclean

I have used amarok to use the media on an ipod. Works. Be mindfull of
the fact that it needs to "reformat something" on your device.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarok_(software)

On 14 April 2010 22:07, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:

> Find research and analysis on US healthcare, health insurance,
> and health policy at: <http://healthpolicydaily.blogspot.com/>
>

> On 04/14/2010 03:48 PM Craig White wrote:

>>> Well, I got wine installed, but iTunesSetup.exe cannot complete its
>>> installation. *It starts up, downloads files, but spits out a lot of
>>> error messages of the type:
>>>
>>> err:module:import_dll Library icuuc40.dll (which is needed by
>>> L"C:Program FilesCommon FilesAppleApple Application
>>> SupportCoreFoundation.dll") not found
>>>
>>> Then it says, Can't install. Try again later.
>>>

>>> Has anyone gotten iTunes running on wine?

>> I think if I recall correctly, at about Fedora 6, I was using gtkpod to
>> access iPod (probably won't work on iPhone or iPod Touch) and mplayer to
>> play content.
>
> The actual problem is *getting* (downloading) from itunes.apple.com...
> For this I believe it's necessary to have iTunes installed and running
> properly.

John Maclean
07739 171 531
MSc (DIC)