Old 04-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Sean Carolan

Default ClamAV "clamscan" command using huge amount of RAM

We have a perl cgi script that accepts uploaded files and runs
clamscan on them. While observing the system performance I noticed
that each clamscan process consumes up to 250MB of RAM. Is this
normal for ClamAV? This seems like an enormous amount of RAM, for
simply scanning one file for viruses.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Eero Volotinen

> We have a perl cgi script that accepts uploaded files and runs
> clamscan on them. *While observing the system performance I noticed
> that each clamscan process consumes up to 250MB of RAM. *Is this
> normal for ClamAV? *This seems like an enormous amount of RAM, for
> simply scanning one file for viruses.

I think this is normal since virus signature database takes lot of ram.

--
Eero

Old 04-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Scott Silva

on 4-13-2010 9:56 AM Sean Carolan spake the following:
> We have a perl cgi script that accepts uploaded files and runs
> clamscan on them. While observing the system performance I noticed
> that each clamscan process consumes up to 250MB of RAM. Is this
> normal for ClamAV? This seems like an enormous amount of RAM, for
> simply scanning one file for viruses.
If you do this quite often, you might be better running the clamd daemon and
then using clamdscan instead... One copy of sigs is loaded, and it stays
fairly constant

Old 04-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Sean Carolan wrote on Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:56:55 -0500:

> We have a perl cgi script that accepts uploaded files and runs
> clamscan on them. While observing the system performance I noticed
> that each clamscan process consumes up to 250MB of RAM. Is this
> normal for ClamAV? This seems like an enormous amount of RAM, for
> simply scanning one file for viruses.

Change to clamd (use clamdscan). Yes, clamscan needs quite a bit of RAM.

Kai

Old 04-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Sean Carolan

> Change to clamd (use clamdscan). Yes, clamscan needs quite a bit of RAM.
>
> Kai

Thank you Kai, our performance looks a lot better now.