Old 04-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Prashant Saxena

Default CentOS-3, is this what I need?

Hi,

I am new to linux and so far I have only used ubuntu. I have
developed a python application which I would like package and
distribute. The problem with
packaging tools such as pyinstaller and
cx_freeze is that you have to compile the bootloader first. Now If I
compile the loader on karmic 9.10, the binary
would suffer from
compatibility issue. In other words I won't be able to execute the app
on a lower version such as ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS.

The solution is to
use as much as old libc as you can to compile the bootloader. It seems
CentOS-3 is based on glibc 2.3, which is pretty old and if I compile
and do other stuff of on CentOS-3, it'll do the job and hopefully covers
almost all the end user base that I am expecting will use the app. It
may possible that
I might face some issues with my requirements
mentioned below but I have no practical idea about them.

As I
mentioned before that I am new to linux and I always prefer to use
VirtualBox, when ever I try any new distribution.

In short these
are my requirements and I would like to know whether CentOS-3 is the
right choice for me or not?

1. Use VirtualBox. XP Host &
CentOS-3 guest.
2. python 2.6.4
3. wxPython 2.8.10.1 from
wxWidgets repository
4. libcairo 1.8.8
5. pycairo 1.8.6
6.
couple of other python modules.

Are these packages available or
if not can be downloaded from other repositories? I am also concerned
about my requirements that whether they themselves will suffer from
binary dependency issue or not because I of using CentOS-3.

Some
one also suggested that you should also compile your
requirements(python, wxpython etc.) along with the bootloader and this
would make your package and underlying libraries backward compatible and lesser chance of any failure.

Best regards

Prashant

Old 04-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Prashant Saxena <animator333@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The solution is to
> use as much as old libc as you can to compile the bootloader. It seems
> CentOS-3 is based on glibc 2.3, which is pretty old and if I compile
> and do other stuff of on CentOS-3, it'll do the job and hopefully covers
> almost all the end user base that I am expecting will use the app. It
> may possible that
> I might face some issues with my requirements
> mentioned below but I have no practical idea about them.

CentOS 3 is ancient and I don't even think is supported by the
upstream vendor any longer. If you absolutely need that old version of
glibc then using CentOS 4.x (updated) will still give you glibc-2.3.4.

> As I
> mentioned before that I am new to linux and I always prefer to use
> VirtualBox, when ever I try any new distribution.
>
> In short these
> are my requirements and I would like to know whether CentOS-3 is the
> right choice for me or not?
>
> 1. Use VirtualBox. XP Host &
> CentOS-3 guest.
> 2. python 2.6.4
> 3. wxPython 2.8.10.1 from
> wxWidgets repository
> 4. libcairo 1.8.8
> 5. pycairo 1.8.6
> 6.
> couple of other python modules.

All these are newer. I'm not certain I understand the requirement for
glibc 2.3? You mentioned a bootloader but that is usually quite
separate from glibc and other applications.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Tru Huynh

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:16:22AM -0400, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Prashant Saxena <animator333@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > The solution is to
> > use as much as old libc as you can to compile the bootloader. It seems
> > CentOS-3 is based on glibc 2.3, which is pretty old and if I compile
> > and do other stuff of on CentOS-3, it'll do the job and hopefully covers
> > almost all the end user base that I am expecting will use the app. It
> > may possible that
> > I might face some issues with my requirements
> > mentioned below but I have no practical idea about them.
>
> CentOS 3 is ancient and I don't even think is supported by the
> upstream vendor any longer. If you absolutely need that old version of
> glibc then using CentOS 4.x (updated) will still give you glibc-2.3.4.

http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#head-fe8a0be91ee3e7dea812e8694491e1dde5b75e6d
Frequently Asked Questions about CentOS in general
19. What is the support 'end of life' for each CentOS release?

For a few more month, CentOS-3 is still supported

> > As I
> > mentioned before that I am new to linux and I always prefer to use
> > VirtualBox, when ever I try any new distribution.
> >
> > In short these
> > are my requirements and I would like to know whether CentOS-3 is the
> > right choice for me or not?
> >
> > 1. Use VirtualBox. XP Host &
> > CentOS-3 guest.
XP is EOL very soon too.
> > 2. python 2.6.4
not on CentOS-3 (python 2.2) CentOS-4 (python 2.3) or CentOS-5 (python 2.4)
you can browse the centos mirrors for each version if you
want ot know what is included in each version.

See also http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

Tru