Old 04-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Default how to debug pxe boot problems

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a pxeboot server up and running, according to the
instructions on the WIKI (http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PXE/PXE_Setup
& http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PXE/PXE_Setup/Menus)

Here's my /tftpboot/pxepxelinux.cfg/default :

default menu.c32
prompt 1
timeout 300
ONTIMEOUT local

MENU TITLE PXE Menu

label Dos Bootdisk
MENU LABEL ^Dos bootdisk
kernel memdisk
append initrd=images/622c.img

LABEL CentOS 5 x86_64
MENU LABEL ^CentOS 5 x86_64
kernel images/centos/5/x86_64/vmlinuz
append initrd=images/centos/5/x86_64/initrd.img
ramdisk_size=100000 ksdevice=eth0 ip=dhcp url --url
http://192.168.2.250/linux/centos/5/os/x86_64

label linux
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=9216 noapic acpi=of

Then, here's the layout for the CentOS 5 image:

[root@intranet /]# ll /tftpboot/images/centos/5/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 Apr 13 07:20 x86_64 ->
/home/www/linux/centos/5/os/x86_64/

As you can see, I linked the folder to a Linux image on the hard
drive. Apache then advertises that folder on the LAN as follows:
http://192.168.2.250/linux/centos/5/os/x86_64 and I can browse the
folders via Firefox.

Yet when I bootup a PC in PXE mode, it doesn't actually load the
CentOS image. I can see the PXE Menu and choose between "Dos
Bootdisk", "CentOS 5 x86_64" and "linux" (which I setup as a test).
When I load "Dos Bootdisk", I get an error:

Could not find ramdisk image:images/622c.img
boot :

So, it's reading the configuration, but not loading the CentOS boot
image. /var/log/messages doesn't give my any errors on this (yes I
know how to read /var/log/messages)
Does anyone know how to get pxeboot to output debug messages to
syslog? OR,what am I doing wrong? The tutorials I got on the net are
rather vague on this. And please don't tell me to use Cobbler, I
already tried that but no one one this lists supports it.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 04-13-2010, 09:17 AM

Rudi Ahlers writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get a pxeboot server up and running, according to the
> instructions on the WIKI (http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PXE/PXE_Setup
> & http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PXE/PXE_Setup/Menus)
>
> Here's my /tftpboot/pxepxelinux.cfg/default :
>

> default menu.c32
> prompt 1
> timeout 300
> ONTIMEOUT local
>
> MENU TITLE PXE Menu
>
> label Dos Bootdisk
> MENU LABEL ^Dos bootdisk
> kernel memdisk
> append initrd=images/622c.img
>
> LABEL CentOS 5 x86_64
> MENU LABEL ^CentOS 5 x86_64
> kernel images/centos/5/x86_64/vmlinuz
> append initrd=images/centos/5/x86_64/initrd.img
> ramdisk_size=100000 ksdevice=eth0 ip=dhcp url --url
> http://192.168.2.250/linux/centos/5/os/x86_64
>
> label linux
> kernel vmlinuz
> append initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=9216 noapic acpi=of
>

> Then, here's the layout for the CentOS 5 image:
>
> [root@intranet /]# ll /tftpboot/images/centos/5/
> total 0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 Apr 13 07:20 x86_64 ->
> /home/www/linux/centos/5/os/x86_64/
>

> As you can see, I linked the folder to a Linux image on the hard
> drive. Apache then advertises that folder on the LAN as follows:
> http://192.168.2.250/linux/centos/5/os/x86_64 and I can browse the
> folders via Firefox.
>
> Yet when I bootup a PC in PXE mode, it doesn't actually load the
> CentOS image. I can see the PXE Menu and choose between "Dos
> Bootdisk", "CentOS 5 x86_64" and "linux" (which I setup as a test).
> When I load "Dos Bootdisk", I get an error:

> Could not find ramdisk image:images/622c.img
> boot :
>

> So, it's reading the configuration, but not loading the CentOS boot
> image. /var/log/messages doesn't give my any errors on this (yes I
> know how to read /var/log/messages)
> Does anyone know how to get pxeboot to output debug messages to
> syslog? OR,what am I doing wrong? The tutorials I got on the net are
> rather vague on this. And please don't tell me to use Cobbler, I
> already tried that but no one one this lists supports it.

You need to have the kernel and initrd under the tftpboot directory,
i.e. not symlinked. I presume /home is automounted? Your boot environment
doesn't know about autofs.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Rudi Ahlers wrote on Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:55:43 +0200:

> When I load "Dos Bootdisk", I get an error:

> Could not find ramdisk image:images/622c.img
> boot :
>

> So, it's reading the configuration, but not loading the CentOS boot
> image.

I don't see that you tested the CentOS boot image. You tested loading a
DOS image and that obviously doesn't find images/622c.img

> Does anyone know how to get pxeboot to output debug messages to
> syslog? OR,what am I doing wrong?

What do you want to see more? It does not find that image. That's pretty
clear, isn't it? Put kernel and initrd always in the same directory.
And why you are trying to boot a DOS disk when you want to boot CentOS, I
don't know.

Kai

Old 04-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Rudi Ahlers

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote on Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:55:43 +0200:
>
>> When I load "Dos Bootdisk", I get an error:

>> Could not find ramdisk image:images/622c.img
>> boot :
>>

>> So, it's reading the configuration, but not loading the CentOS boot
>> image.
>
> I don't see that you tested the CentOS boot image. You tested loading a
> DOS image and that obviously doesn't find images/622c.img

The others does nothing when I try and boot them....

>> Does anyone know how to get pxeboot to output debug messages to
>> syslog? *OR,what am I doing wrong?
>
> What do you want to see more? It does not find that image. That's pretty
> clear, isn't it? Put kernel and initrd always in the same directory.

> And why you are trying to boot a DOS disk when you want to boot CentOS, I
> don't know.

Cause I used the sample configation on the WIKI, and the DOS option is
listed. Why is it listed on the Wiki if ppl are going to question it's
usage?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:51 AM
"Marcelo M. Garcia"

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> The others does nothing when I try and boot them....
>

>> And why you are trying to boot a DOS disk when you want to boot CentOS, I
>> don't know.
>
> Cause I used the sample configation on the WIKI, and the DOS option is
> listed. Why is it listed on the Wiki if ppl are going to question it's
> usage?

Hi

Which others? Are you sure that are you using the right vmlinuz and initrd?

Which Wiki did you use? Was this one?
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PXE/PXE_Setup
I don't see any reference to DOS.

Regards

mg.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Rudi Ahlers

2nd part of that tutorial: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PXE/PXE_Setup/Menus

Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Rudi Ahlers wrote on Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:12:07 +0200:

> 2nd part of that tutorial: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PXE/PXE_Setup/Menus

That is only an example. If you want to boot CentOS you have to boot that.
Your DOS image can fail for a lot of reasons including that it is not PXE-
bootbale. Troubleshooting on the wrong thing just wastes time.

Kai

Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Rudi Ahlers wrote on Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:43:34 +0200:

> Cause I used the sample configation on the WIKI,

No, you didn't, you deviated from the tutorial and used different paths.
And, beyond that, it's a menu tutorial. Your menu works.

Anyway, you cannot just test with other images you know nothing about. That
DOS image may simply not be PXE-bootable. Go back and try to make the
simplest test case work. The simplest test case is the one with just the
vmlinuz kernel and initrd and no other parameters. Follow the tutorial
exactly and don't deviate before you know that it works. I followed that
tutorial some years ago when I first started using kickstart PXE installation
setups and it worked almost instantly. The only thing is that one has to be
carefull with paths. At least with 5.0/5.1, it somehow didn't like to use the
paths I told it but always used the initrd from the same directory. Keep that
in mind. I don't know if that changed. The isolinux in CentOS is as old as
CentOS, remember that.

Kai