Old 04-12-2010, 07:20 PM
ken

Default 'p' in boot selector & going into single-user

On boot, when I hit the F12 key to bring up the boot menu, the screen
displays the various kernels and other boot options. In the text below
this menu it says I can hit 'p' to bring up a menu with other options.
I've done this with the last two boot-ups and no other menu or options
appear. Is something missing? (I also tried Alt-p, Shift-p, Ctrl-p and
a few other keys and there's no change onscreen.)

I'd like to know also how to select single user mode, but haven't found
a way to do that.

Thanks much.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:30 PM

> On boot, when I hit the F12 key to bring up the boot menu, the screen
> displays the various kernels and other boot options. In the text below
> this menu it says I can hit 'p' to bring up a menu with other options.
> I've done this with the last two boot-ups and no other menu or options
> appear. Is something missing? (I also tried Alt-p, Shift-p, Ctrl-p and
> a few other keys and there's no change onscreen.)
>

> I'd like to know also how to select single user mode, but haven't found
> a way to do that.

When you get to the grub menu, hit 'e' at the kernel, then arrow down one
to the line beginning with "kernel", and hit 'e' again. At the end of the
line, add the letter s, then follow the directions for getting out of edit
mode, and hit the letter b for boot.

mark

Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/12/2010 2:20 PM, ken wrote:

> On boot, when I hit the F12 key to bring up the boot menu, the screen
> displays the various kernels and other boot options. In the text below
> this menu it says I can hit 'p' to bring up a menu with other options.
> I've done this with the last two boot-ups and no other menu or options
> appear. Is something missing? (I also tried Alt-p, Shift-p, Ctrl-p and
> a few other keys and there's no change onscreen.)
>

> I'd like to know also how to select single user mode, but haven't found
> a way to do that.

For single user mode, edit the kernel line and add a ' 1' or 'single' to
the end of it, then boot it.

--
Les Mikesell