Old 03-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Roland RoLaNd

Default Java 1.5

Hello,

i'm trying to install jboss where it asks me for java 1.5
i have both 1.4 and 1.6 installed
with JAVA_HOME pointing to 1.6

i downloaded jdk-1_5_0_17-linux-i586.binÂ* and executed it..
though nothing changed..
when i execute : alternatives --config java

i can only see 1.4 and 1.6

any advice?

Old 03-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Jim Perrin

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Roland RoLaNd <r_o_l_a_n_d@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i'm trying to install jboss where it asks me for java 1.5
> i have both 1.4 and 1.6 installed
> with JAVA_HOME pointing to 1.6
>
> i downloaded jdk-1_5_0_17-linux-i586.bin* and executed it..
> though nothing changed..
> when i execute : alternatives --config java
>
> i can only see 1.4 and 1.6

The java bin from Sun that you ran doesn't set the alternatives
framework up. That only gets done via the jpackage rpms or manually
jamming the information in.

George Orwell

Old 03-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Les Mikesell

On 3/15/2010 12:33 PM, Jim Perrin wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Roland RoLaNd<r_o_l_a_n_d@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> i'm trying to install jboss where it asks me for java 1.5
>> i have both 1.4 and 1.6 installed
>> with JAVA_HOME pointing to 1.6
>>
>> i downloaded jdk-1_5_0_17-linux-i586.bin and executed it..
>> though nothing changed..
>> when i execute : alternatives --config java
>>
>> i can only see 1.4 and 1.6
>
> The java bin from Sun that you ran doesn't set the alternatives
> framework up. That only gets done via the jpackage rpms or manually
> jamming the information in.

And the alternatives concept is only suitable for providing a single
default. In the more likely case that you need specific JVM versions
for specific applications or different ones for testing and production,
you have to export JAVA_HOME for it anyway.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com