Old 03-14-2010, 07:20 AM
John R Pierce

Default Burning data cd in CentOS?

hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> I need to burn data cd on my CentOS and open the pdf file on my MS
> Windows client . My cd drive is at /dev/cdrom that is mounted as
> /mnt/cdrom . To this end , I issued as the following :
> #cdrecord -v dev=/dev/cdrom myfile
> But the file cannot be opened on ms MS Windows , nor the cd is usable
> afterwards . Can you please let me know how can I burn this data cd ?

cdrecord needs a .ISO file as its input. you can use mkisofs to create
one fromm file(s), its a fairly complex command with a LOT of options,
but at its simplest, creating a simple RockRidge CD-ROM,

mkisofs -o mycd.iso -r dir-with-files

the specified dir will become the root of the CD. then you can use
cdrecord to burn mycd.iso ... see the respective man pages for more
options.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:39 AM
hadi motamedi

cdrecord needs a .ISO file as its input. *you can use mkisofs to create
one fromm file(s), its a fairly complex command with a LOT of options,
but at its simplest, creating a simple RockRidge CD-ROM,

* *mkisofs -o mycd.iso -r dir-with-files

the specified dir will become the root of the CD. *then you can use
cdrecord to burn mycd.iso ... *see the respective man pages for more
options.

*
Thank you for your help . To this end , I am now able to*burn my pdf file onto data cd on my CentOS . I tried to install Adobe on my CentOS , as the following :
#yum install AdobeReader_enu

But it didn't get through. Can you please let me know how I can have it so I no longer need to open the pdf files on my MS Windows client?

*

Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 AM
John R Pierce

hadi motamedi wrote:
> Thank you for your help . To this end , I am now able to burn my pdf
> file onto data cd on my CentOS . I tried to install Adobe on my CentOS
> , as the following :
> #yum install AdobeReader_enu
> But it didn't get through. Can you please let me know how I can have
> it so I no longer need to open the pdf files on my MS Windows client?

i don't believe any of Adobe's products would be found on a Yum
repository.
Adobe's Reader is here,
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform=unix
<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform=unix>

there's also a variety of opensource/thirdparty PDF viewers, including
evince, kpdf, xpdf, etc. Evince is the standard document viewer in
Gnome, and is in the base repo for centos 5

Old 03-14-2010, 09:16 AM
hadi motamedi

*i don't believe any of Adobe's products would be found on a Yum
repository.
Adobe's Reader is here,
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform=unix

<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform=unix>

there's also a variety of opensource/thirdparty PDF viewers, including

evince, kpdf, xpdf, etc. *Evince is the standard document viewer in
Gnome, and is in the base repo for centos 5

*
Thank you very much . I found that way of installing the Adobe on CentOS via yum on the web . I*got note from your comment and I can open my pdf file with evince .
Thank you again
*

Old 03-14-2010, 09:32 AM
MHR

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 11:38 PM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
> I need to burn data cd on my CentOS and open the pdf file on my MS Windows
> client . My cd drive is at /dev/cdrom that is mounted as /mnt/cdrom . To
> this end , I issued as the following :
> #cdrecord -v dev=/dev/cdrom myfile
> But the file cannot be opened on ms MS Windows , nor the cd is usable
> afterwards . Can you please let me know how can I burn this data cd ?
> Thank you

There is an easy-to-use GUI program for doing things like this - k3b.
As for pdf files, I also have never seen AR in a yum repository, but
I've never looked past adobe.com's web site, wehre you can download
and install via rpm or in tgz format.

Or you can do it the hard way.

;-)

mhr

Old 03-14-2010, 09:44 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 02:32:52AM -0800, MHR wrote:

> There is an easy-to-use GUI program for doing things like this - k3b.
> As for pdf files, I also have never seen AR in a yum repository, but
> I've never looked past adobe.com's web site, wehre you can download
> and install via rpm or in tgz format.

Take a look at:

http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread/2008/02/adobe_reader_now_available_via.html

Version 9.3.1 is showing as available.

John

--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit

Old 03-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Robert Heller

> Dear All
> I need to burn data cd on my CentOS and open the pdf file on my MS Windows
> client . My cd drive is at /dev/cdrom that is mounted as /mnt/cdrom . To
> this end , I issued as the following :
> #cdrecord -v dev=/dev/cdrom myfile
> But the file cannot be opened on ms MS Windows , nor the cd is usable
> afterwards . Can you please let me know how can I burn this data cd ?
> Thank you

Is myfile an ISO9660 file system? That is did you do something like:

mkisofs -o myfile somedirectory

where somedirectory is a *directory* containing:

somefile.pdf

'man mkisofs' for all of the details for making an ISO9660 file system image

Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Old 03-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Robert Heller

> cdrecord needs a .ISO file as its input. you can use mkisofs to create
> > one fromm file(s), its a fairly complex command with a LOT of options,
> > but at its simplest, creating a simple RockRidge CD-ROM,
> >
> > mkisofs -o mycd.iso -r dir-with-files
> >
> > the specified dir will become the root of the CD. then you can use
> > cdrecord to burn mycd.iso ... see the respective man pages for more
> > options.

> Thank you for your help . To this end , I am now able to burn my pdf file
> onto data cd on my CentOS . I tried to install Adobe on my CentOS , as the
> following :
> #yum install AdobeReader_enu
> But it didn't get through. Can you please let me know how I can have it so I
> no longer need to open the pdf files on my MS Windows client?

You don't *really* need Adobe Reader under CentOS. There are *lots* of
open source, third party PDF readers:

evince -- should already be installed (part of the base CentOS system)
gv -- available from epel
xpdf -- also available from epel

Ghostscript will display a PDF file, although Ghostscript has no GUI
(that is what gv is for). Ghostscript also includes some little
scripts, including pdf2ps, which will convert a PDF file to a PostScript
file. The resulting PostScript can then be sent to your printer:

pdf2ps somepdffile.pdf - | lpr

(Go to wiki.centos.org and search for 'third party repositories' and
setup the EPel repository -- this will allow you to install gv and xpdf.)

If you *really* must have Adobe Reader, you need to install the Adobe
yum repository. Visit the Adobe site to get the URL of the Adobe repo RPM.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Robert Heller

> hadi motamedi wrote:
> > Thank you for your help . To this end , I am now able to burn my pdf
> > file onto data cd on my CentOS . I tried to install Adobe on my CentOS
> > , as the following :
> > #yum install AdobeReader_enu
> > But it didn't get through. Can you please let me know how I can have
> > it so I no longer need to open the pdf files on my MS Windows client?
>
> i don't believe any of Adobe's products would be found on a Yum
> repository.

Adobe has a repo just for their free products (Adobe Reader, Flash Plugin).

Old 03-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 11:02 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> You don't *really* need Adobe Reader under CentOS.

Depends on what your needs are.

> There are *lots* of open source, third party PDF readers:

True. Sadly, they don't open and display ALL pdf files correctly.

I have been advised that poppler has now been "fixed" so some of these
issues will go away effective with the release of Fedora 13, but I have
no idea when/how or if that will migrate into Centos. The Fedora folks
apparently have no intention of backporting it to Fedora 12, so it
doesn't look too promising for the time being.