FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Robert Heller
 
Default Burning data cd in CentOS?

At Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:27:38 -0600 CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org> wrote:

>
>
> On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 11:02 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> > You don't *really* need Adobe Reader under CentOS.
>
> Depends on what your needs are.
>
> > There are *lots* of open source, third party PDF readers:
>
> True. Sadly, they don't open and display ALL pdf files correctly.

Neither does Adobe Reader! I've envountered PDF files that have been
simply malformed on some level. Otherwise it is a matter of how
bleeding edge the PDF file is, along with issues like non-embeded
non-standard font references (and this includes PDF files supposedly
created by Adobe Distiller!). *I* find Adobe Reader's GUI horrible -- I
just plain do not like it.

>
> I have been advised that poppler has now been "fixed" so some of these
> issues will go away effective with the release of Fedora 13, but I have
> no idea when/how or if that will migrate into Centos. The Fedora folks
> apparently have no intention of backporting it to Fedora 12, so it
> doesn't look too promising for the time being.
>

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/ -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-14-2010, 10:36 PM
MHR
 
Default Burning data cd in CentOS?

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Neither does Adobe Reader! *I've envountered PDF files that have been
> simply malformed on some level. *Otherwise it is a matter of how
> bleeding edge the PDF file is, along with issues like non-embeded
> non-standard font references (and this includes PDF files supposedly
> created by Adobe Distiller!). **I* find Adobe Reader's GUI horrible -- I
> just plain do not like it.
>

I only have two complaints about AR:

1) It takes forever to get going - a minute or two at startup - seriously.

2) I have a pdf that contains savable fill-in form information, and AR
on CentOS refuses to work with it (it start to read the file and
quits). eVince can read it, but I can't fill in the form with it. I
have to use AR on Windoze to work with it. I have complained to Adobe
about this, along with the fact that they don't have any decent
support for their "free" products, but so far no response (duh - they
think that community forums to which I cannot post are sufficient).

Yes, I realize that AR is a free product, but that's no excuse. So
are OOo, Mozilla and a whole slew of other, much larger scale products
(e.g., CentOS), and yet they all have methods for obtaining support
and reporting bugs.

No, it's not worth $600 (or whatever Acrobat costs these days) for me,
a broke, individual user trying to scrape by on next to no income (I
can't afford the $300 scanner that comes with a free copy of Acrobat,
or did, either), but that's no excuse. A good product deserves good
support, and ANY software product should have a mechanism for
reporting bugs. Period.

Mark Hull-Richter
Expert Linux/C Software Developer
Registered Linux User #472807
- sign up at http://counter.li.org/
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Frank Cox
 
Default Burning data cd in CentOS?

On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 16:36 -0700, MHR wrote:
> It takes forever to get going - a minute or two at startup -
> seriously.

/opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/plug_ins
/opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/plug_ins3d

If you don't need those plugins, rename those directories to something
else and acroread will load immensely faster.

--
MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://www.melvilletheatre.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-15-2010, 01:04 AM
Robert Heller
 
Default Burning data cd in CentOS?

At Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:36:08 -0700 CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org> wrote:

>
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > Neither does Adobe Reader! *I've envountered PDF files that have been
> > simply malformed on some level. *Otherwise it is a matter of how
> > bleeding edge the PDF file is, along with issues like non-embeded
> > non-standard font references (and this includes PDF files supposedly
> > created by Adobe Distiller!). **I* find Adobe Reader's GUI horrible -- I
> > just plain do not like it.
> >
>
> I only have two complaints about AR:
>
> 1) It takes forever to get going - a minute or two at startup - seriously.
>
> 2) I have a pdf that contains savable fill-in form information, and AR
> on CentOS refuses to work with it (it start to read the file and
> quits). eVince can read it, but I can't fill in the form with it. I

The (free!) pdftk package can fill in a PDF file-in form. Not point and
click and you need to create a file to drive the fill-in process,
generally by 'reverse engineering' the form, but it is doable.


> have to use AR on Windoze to work with it. I have complained to Adobe
> about this, along with the fact that they don't have any decent
> support for their "free" products, but so far no response (duh - they
> think that community forums to which I cannot post are sufficient).
>
> Yes, I realize that AR is a free product, but that's no excuse. So
> are OOo, Mozilla and a whole slew of other, much larger scale products
> (e.g., CentOS), and yet they all have methods for obtaining support
> and reporting bugs.
>
> No, it's not worth $600 (or whatever Acrobat costs these days) for me,
> a broke, individual user trying to scrape by on next to no income (I
> can't afford the $300 scanner that comes with a free copy of Acrobat,
> or did, either), but that's no excuse. A good product deserves good
> support, and ANY software product should have a mechanism for
> reporting bugs. Period.
>

Adobe has a niche market of sorts and as long as they can keep that
market, they are not really going to change. Of all of the major
closed-source 'comodity' software vendors, they are possibly the least
obnoxious, but that is not really saying much.


> Mark Hull-Richter
> Expert Linux/C Software Developer
> Registered Linux User #472807
> - sign up at http://counter.li.org/
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>

--
Robert Heller -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/ -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-15-2010, 02:24 AM
Robert
 
Default Burning data cd in CentOS?

Robert Heller wrote:
<snip>

> Neither does Adobe Reader! I've envountered PDF files that have been
> simply malformed on some level. Otherwise it is a matter of how
> bleeding edge the PDF file is, along with issues like non-embeded
> non-standard font references (and this includes PDF files supposedly
> created by Adobe Distiller!). *I* find Adobe Reader's GUI horrible -- I
> just plain do not like it.
>
+1
My favorite is kpdf -- but I use KDE. I have no idea how it plays with
a Gnome desktop.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-15-2010, 03:22 AM
Keith Keller
 
Default Burning data cd in CentOS?

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 10:24:56PM -0500, Robert wrote:
>
> My favorite is kpdf -- but I use KDE. I have no idea how it plays with
> a Gnome desktop.

kpdf works fine in blackbox, so I see no reason it wouldn't work fine in
GNOME. My preferred choice would be xpdf, but that doesn't seem to be
included in RHEL/CentOS any longer, and I haven't worked up the effort
to install it myself from source.

--keith


--
kkeller@speakeasy.net

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-15-2010, 04:24 AM
John R Pierce
 
Default Burning data cd in CentOS?

Keith Keller wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 10:24:56PM -0500, Robert wrote:
>
>> My favorite is kpdf -- but I use KDE. I have no idea how it plays with
>> a Gnome desktop.
>>
>
> kpdf works fine in blackbox, so I see no reason it wouldn't work fine in
> GNOME. My preferred choice would be xpdf, but that doesn't seem to be
> included in RHEL/CentOS any longer, and I haven't worked up the effort
> to install it myself from source.
>

Xpdf is the back end for kpdf (kde) and gpdf (gnome).... gpdf has
evolved into Evince.

evince is in the base distribution.




_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-15-2010, 05:51 AM
Frank Cox
 
Default Burning data cd in CentOS?

On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 21:22 -0700, Keith Keller wrote:
> My preferred choice would be xpdf, but that doesn't seem to be
> included in RHEL/CentOS any longer, and I haven't worked up the effort
> to install it myself from source.

Name : xpdf Relocations: (not
relocatable)
Version : 3.02 Vendor: Fedora Project
Release : 15.el5 Build Date: Fri 16 Oct 2009
02:56:59 PM CST
Install Date: Fri 20 Nov 2009 10:30:19 PM CST Build Host:
x86-6.fedora.phx.redhat.com
Group : Applications/Publishing Source RPM:
xpdf-3.02-15.el5.src.rpm
Size : 2655329 License: GPLv2
Signature : DSA/SHA1, Wed 21 Oct 2009 08:34:36 AM CST, Key ID
119cc036217521f6
Packager : Fedora Project
URL : http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/
Summary : A PDF file viewer for the X Window System
Description :
Xpdf is an X Window System based viewer for Portable Document Format
(PDF) files. Xpdf is a small and efficient program which uses
standard X fonts.

--
MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://www.melvilletheatre.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Robert Heller
 
Default Burning data cd in CentOS?

At Sun, 14 Mar 2010 21:22:46 -0700 CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org> wrote:

>
>
>
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 10:24:56PM -0500, Robert wrote:
> >
> > My favorite is kpdf -- but I use KDE. I have no idea how it plays with
> > a Gnome desktop.
>
> kpdf works fine in blackbox, so I see no reason it wouldn't work fine in
> GNOME. My preferred choice would be xpdf, but that doesn't seem to be
> included in RHEL/CentOS any longer, and I haven't worked up the effort
> to install it myself from source.

xpdf is available via the epel repo.

>
> --keith
>
>

--
Robert Heller -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/ -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Lanny Marcus
 
Default Burning data cd in CentOS?

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 5:32 AM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 11:38 PM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I need to burn data cd on my CentOS and open the pdf file on my MS Windows
>> client . My cd drive is at /dev/cdrom that is mounted as /mnt/cdrom . To
>> this end , I issued as the following :
>> #cdrecord -v dev=/dev/cdrom myfile
>> But the file cannot be opened on ms MS Windows , nor the cd is usable
>> afterwards . Can you please let me know how can I burn this data cd ?
>> Thank you
>
> There is an easy-to-use GUI program for doing things like this - k3b.
<snip>

+1 for K3b
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org