-   -   https question (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/341247-https-question.html)

adrian kok 03-14-2010 12:45 AM

https question

Hi

I have question about https

I am using mozila to access gmail as https://mail.google.com/mail

Why mozilla prompts me the alert box?

"You have requested an encrypted page that contains some unencrypted information. Information that you see or enter on this page could easily be read by a third party."

How mozilla knows I have data not encrypted?

ls https secured?

Thank you

Bob McConnell 03-14-2010 01:53 AM

https question

adrian kok wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have question about https
>
> I am using mozila to access gmail as https://mail.google.com/mail
>
> Why mozilla prompts me the alert box?
>
> "You have requested an encrypted page that contains some unencrypted
> information. Information that you see or enter on this page could
> easily be read by a third party."
>
> How mozilla knows I have data not encrypted?
>
> ls https secured?

Yes, the 's' at the end means it uses SSL to provide a secure
connection. If you have elements on the page that have an http: prefix,
then mozilla and other browsers will complain about it.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

James Bensley 03-14-2010 08:46 AM

https question

You can turn this notification feature off somewhere in the Firefox
preferences (haven't got it infront of me right now to tell you
exactly where :S)

James ;)

Lanny Marcus 03-15-2010 12:21 AM

https question

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 8:45 PM, adrian kok <adriankok2000@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:
> I have question about https
>
> I am using mozila to access gmail as https://mail.google.com/mail
>
> Why mozilla prompts me the alert box?

I use Mozilla Firefox v.3.0.16 (32 bit) on CentOS 5.4
I am *not* getting warnings like that, with Gmail or with the URL you
posted above. Which version of Mozilla (Firefox?) are you using?

> "You have requested an encrypted page that contains some unencrypted information. Information that you see or enter on this page could easily be read by a third party."
>
> How mozilla knows I have data not encrypted?

I have seen warnings like that, but not with Gmail. That means that
some of the information on the web page you are accessing is not
encrypted.

> ls https secured?

Yes, it is encrypted, but sometimes not all of the information on a
web page is encrypted.