-   -   How can I access a ZIP file that's over 2Gb? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/341221-how-can-i-access-zip-file-thats-over-2gb.html)

Craig White 03-13-2010 11:07 PM

On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 18:53 -0500, Stephen Harris wrote:
> I have a zip file. It is over 2Gb in size:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 sweh sweh 2383956582 Mar 13 13:44 test.zip
>
> The standard "unzip" program barfs:
> % unzip -l test.zip
> Archive: test.zip
> End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
> a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
> latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
> the last disk(s) of this archive.
> unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of test.zip or
> test.zip.zip, and cannot find test.zip.ZIP, period.
>
> This is because the info-zip utilities can't handle ZIP files over 2Gb in
> size.
>
> Windows can access it just fine.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations on a unix tool that'll let me access these
> large files?
----
out of curiousity... is this a 64 bit version of Windows and a 32 bit
version of Linux we are comparing?

Craig

believed to be clean.

Stephen Harris 03-13-2010 11:20 PM

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 05:07:57PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 18:53 -0500, Stephen Harris wrote:
> > I have a zip file. It is over 2Gb in size:
> > The standard "unzip" program barfs:
> > This is because the info-zip utilities can't handle ZIP files over 2Gb in
> > size.
> >
> > Windows can access it just fine.

> out of curiousity... is this a 64 bit version of Windows and a 32 bit
> version of Linux we are comparing?

Nope; standard 32bit Windows XP vs 32bit CentOS 5

(bit-width shouldn't matter 32bit OS's can handle large files for over
a decade)

--

rgds
Stephen

Robert Heller 03-13-2010 11:28 PM

How can I access a ZIP file that's over 2Gb?

> I have a zip file. It is over 2Gb in size:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 sweh sweh 2383956582 Mar 13 13:44 test.zip
>
> The standard "unzip" program barfs:
> % unzip -l test.zip
> Archive: test.zip
> End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
> a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
> latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
> the last disk(s) of this archive.
> unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of test.zip or
> test.zip.zip, and cannot find test.zip.ZIP, period.
>
> This is because the info-zip utilities can't handle ZIP files over 2Gb in
> size.
>
> Windows can access it just fine.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations on a unix tool that'll let me access these
> large files?

Random thought (total guess): What happens if you use split on the zip
file and try to get info zip to think it is a multi-part archive?

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Craig White 03-13-2010 11:31 PM

On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 19:20 -0500, Stephen Harris wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 05:07:57PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 18:53 -0500, Stephen Harris wrote:
> > > I have a zip file. It is over 2Gb in size:
> > > The standard "unzip" program barfs:
> > > This is because the info-zip utilities can't handle ZIP files over 2Gb in
> > > size.
> > >
> > > Windows can access it just fine.
>
> > out of curiousity... is this a 64 bit version of Windows and a 32 bit
> > version of Linux we are comparing?
>
> Nope; standard 32bit Windows XP vs 32bit CentOS 5
>
> (bit-width shouldn't matter 32bit OS's can handle large files for over
> a decade)
----
tell that to Outlook

try gunzip (but I have no idea that it will fare any better)

Craig

believed to be clean.

Stephen Harris 03-13-2010 11:35 PM

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 05:31:35PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 19:20 -0500, Stephen Harris wrote:

> > (bit-width shouldn't matter 32bit OS's can handle large files for over
> > a decade)
> ----
> tell that to Outlook

That's an application, not an OS (and Outlook 2007 handles it on 32bit XP)

> try gunzip (but I have no idea that it will fare any better)

Different format files. gzip doesn't handle zip files, despite the
similarity in names.

--

rgds
Stephen

Martin Jungowski 03-13-2010 11:39 PM

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:20:43 -0500 Stephen Harris wrote:
> Nope; standard 32bit Windows XP vs 32bit CentOS 5
>
> (bit-width shouldn't matter 32bit OS's can handle large files for over a
> decade)

The problem with x86 (32-bit) is that there's two different memory limits.
The total amoumt of accessible memory is 4GB (2^32 Bytes) but the total
amount of memory per process is limited to 2GB. That means that even on 64-
bit system and more than 4GB of total memory a 32-bit process cannot
access more than that, which is why a ZIP file larger than that can cause
trouble on any system. I highly doubt that Windows will be able to
decompress that file. Depending on the tool you use (built-in unzip tool?
Winzip? Winrar? 7-zip?) you might be able to access the file and view its
contents, but you will probably fail unzipping it.

Martin

--
Rieke Computersysteme GmbH
Hellerholz 5

Stephen Harris 03-13-2010 11:48 PM

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 07:28:11PM -0500, Robert Heller wrote:

> Random thought (total guess): What happens if you use split on the zip
> file and try to get info zip to think it is a multi-part archive?

The manpage says multi-part archives aren't supported, and in tests it
doesn't look like it even attempts to open a 2nd part when I split the
file into fragments.

--

rgds
Stephen

Stephen John Smoogen 03-13-2010 11:49 PM

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Stephen Harris <lists@spuddy.org> wrote:
> I have a zip file. *It is over 2Gb in size:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 sweh sweh 2383956582 Mar 13 13:44 test.zip
>
> The standard "unzip" program barfs:
> *% unzip -l test.zip
> *Archive: *test.zip
> * *End-of-central-directory signature not found. *Either this file is not
> * *a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. *In the
> * *latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
> * *the last disk(s) of this archive.
> *unzip: *cannot find zipfile directory in one of test.zip or
> * * * * *test.zip.zip, and cannot find test.zip.ZIP, period.
>
> This is because the info-zip utilities can't handle ZIP files over 2Gb in
> size.
>
> Windows can access it just fine.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations on a unix tool that'll let me access these
> large files?

My guess is that the code has not been updated to deal with large
fseeks. Looking at the FAQ at http://www.info-zip.org they know that a
file longer than 2 GB will have problems because of this.

http://www.info-zip.org/FAQ.html#limits

=>
While the only theoretical limit on the size of an archive is given by
(65,536 files x 4 GB each), realistically UnZip's random-access
operation and (partial) dependence on the stored compressed-size
values limits the total size to something in the neighborhood of 2 to
4 GB. This restriction may be relaxed in a future release. (On 64-bit
IRIX with the native compiler, the options "-mips4 -64" or "-mips4 -64
-ipa" [for both compiling and linking] may help. "-ipa" is reported to
generate incorrect code sometimes, however.)
<=

My guess is that would affect things the most. My guess is that the
windows tools have code to deal with this and the unzip tool needs a
rewrite to match it.
--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning

Stephen Harris 03-14-2010 12:14 AM

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:39:28AM +0000, Martin Jungowski wrote:
> The total amoumt of accessible memory is 4GB (2^32 Bytes) but the total
> amount of memory per process is limited to 2GB. That means that even on 64-
> bit system and more than 4GB of total memory a 32-bit process cannot
> access more than that, which is why a ZIP file larger than that can cause
> trouble on any system. I highly doubt that Windows will be able to
> decompress that file. Depending on the tool you use (built-in unzip tool?

Why? It's not storing the whole file in memory, it's writing it out
chunk-wise to a disk. Unzipping a file requires very little memory
regardless of the size of it.

Even info-zip can handle files of over 2Gb as long as the whole archive
itself isn't 2Gb.

This is _not_ a memory issue; it's a "32bit pointer" issue (historical
limitation on unix before largefiles concept).

As it happens, yes, the built-in XP zip program happily extracts all the
files.

--

rgds
Stephen

Stephen Harris 03-14-2010 12:15 AM

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 05:49:06PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Stephen Harris <lists@spuddy.org> wrote:
> > I have a zip file. ?It is over 2Gb in size:

> > This is because the info-zip utilities can't handle ZIP files over 2Gb in
> > size.

> > Anyone have any recommendations on a unix tool that'll let me access these
> > large files?
>
> My guess is that the code has not been updated to deal with large
> fseeks. Looking at the FAQ at http://www.info-zip.org they know that a
> file longer than 2 GB will have problems because of this.

Correct. I stated that in my post.

> My guess is that would affect things the most. My guess is that the
> windows tools have code to deal with this and the unzip tool needs a
> rewrite to match it.

And thus my question; does anyone _know_ of a Unix tool that can access
this?

--

rgds
Stephen