Old 03-14-2010, 12:23 AM
John R Pierce

Default How can I access a ZIP file that's over 2Gb?

Martin Jungowski wrote:
> The problem with x86 (32-bit) is that there's two different memory limits.
> The total amoumt of accessible memory is 4GB (2^32 Bytes) but the total
> amount of memory per process is limited to 2GB.

actually, thats 3GB per-process limit in 32bit Linux.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:39 AM
Brian

On Mar 13, 2010, at 8:15 PM, Stephen Harris wrote:

> And thus my question; does anyone _know_ of a Unix tool that can
> access
> this?
-------
http://www.info-zip.org/UnZip.html

Latest Release
New features in UnZip 6.0, released 20 April 2009:

• Support PKWARE ZIP64 extensions, allowing Zip archives and Zip
archive entries larger than 4 GiBytes and more than 65536 entries
within a single Zip archive. This support is currently only available
for Unix, OpenVMS and Win32/Win64.
• Support for bzip2 compression method.
[...]
------

Also you can make this work with Unzip 5.x if you recompile with a
particular flag:
http://dbaspot.com/forums/linux-misc/173810-help-unzipping-large-2g-plus-zip.html

A separate question but: to create these I think you will want Zip 3.0:
----
Latest Release
New features in Zip 3.0, released 7 July 2008:

• large-file support (i.e., > 2GB)
• support for more than 65536 files per archive
• multi-part archive support
• bzip2 compression support
-----
I don't see either of these available for CentOS via "yum" or on Dag's
repos.
It may or may not be trivial to compile these from source on CentOS,
some libraries on CentOS I've noticed are rather dated.
In terms of time spent, you may wish to set up a live *BSD just unpack
these, if that's all you need to do. You may still end up building
from source depending on what e.g. FreeBSD ships with, but the BSDs
are set up with building your own items from source in mind.

Hope that helps!

Brian

Old 03-14-2010, 02:00 AM
Stephen Harris

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 09:39:57PM -0500, Brian wrote:

> > And thus my question; does anyone _know_ of a Unix tool that can
> > access

> http://www.info-zip.org/UnZip.html
>
> Latest Release
> New features in UnZip 6.0, released 20 April 2009:

Hmm, interesting.

However, I think I found a simpler solution. It struck me that Java "JAR"
files are just zip files with manifests; I've been able to unzip jar files
before, so why not the other way?

And, indeed, "jar xf largefile.zip" worked :-)

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 03-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Drew

> The problem with x86 (32-bit) is that there's two different memory limits.
> The total amoumt of accessible memory is 4GB (2^32 Bytes) but the total
> amount of memory per process is limited to 2GB. That means that even on 64-
> bit system and more than 4GB of total memory a 32-bit process cannot
> access more than that, which is why a ZIP file larger than that can cause
> trouble on any system. I highly doubt that Windows will be able to
> decompress that file. Depending on the tool you use (built-in unzip tool?
> Winzip? Winrar? 7-zip?) you might be able to access the file and view its
> contents, but you will probably fail unzipping it.

Someone must not have told Windows (XP 32bit) that then. :-)

I'm staring at a 6.26GB backup of my samba share that WinRAR has no
problems reading & extracting files from. I also routinely burn iso
images of DVD's which are around 4GB.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie

Old 03-16-2010, 05:49 AM
Mike McCarty

Robert Heller wrote:

> Random thought (total guess): What happens if you use split on the zip
> file and try to get info zip to think it is a multi-part archive?

A multi-part archive is not the same as a single archive split
into pieces.

Mike
--
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pri ntf(p,34,p,34);}
You have found the bank of Larn.