Old 03-13-2010, 12:59 AM
Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann

Default Google Summer of Code

Hey

Maybe CentOS can try this year again? Who wants to be a mentor?

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2010/03/google-summer-of-code-applications-now.html

Cheers Didi
--
Hoffmann Geerd-Dietger
http://contact.ribalba.de

Old 03-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 03/13/2010 01:59 AM, Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann wrote:
> Hey
>
> Maybe CentOS can try this year again? Who wants to be a mentor?
>
> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2010/03/google-summer-of-code-applications-now.html
>
> Cheers Didi

You should sync up with Bill Scheel, he did all the heavy lifting last
year and would probably have some interesting feedback.

- KB

Old 03-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann

On 13/03/2010 14:40, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> You should sync up with Bill Scheel, he did all the heavy lifting last
> year and would probably have some interesting feedback.

Bill do you want to do it again this year? Or, if not who wants to do it?

Cheers Didi

--
Hoffmann Geerd-Dietger
http://contact.ribalba.de

Old 03-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Linux Rockz

On 03/13/2010 08:40 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 03/13/2010 01:59 AM, Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann wrote:
>
>> Hey
>>
>> Maybe CentOS can try this year again? Who wants to be a mentor?
>>
>> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2010/03/google-summer-of-code-applications-now.html
>>
>> Cheers Didi
>>
> You should sync up with Bill Scheel, he did all the heavy lifting last
> year and would probably have some interesting feedback.
>
> - KB

Last was a last second rush to get GSOC for CentOS going.
At this juncture, the CentOS admins/devs need to have a serious
discussion on the GSOC topic before throwing the hat into the ring this
year.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:07 AM
R P Herrold

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Linux Rockz wrote:

> Last was a last second rush to get GSOC for CentOS going.
> At this juncture, the CentOS admins/devs need to have a serious
> discussion on the GSOC topic before throwing the hat into the ring this
> year.

umm -- well, no, not true, actually ... and frenkly I dont see
that a person speaking behind a mask should be given too much
creedence, anyway

A competent submission was presented in a timely fashion, but
it is not clear to me that the project's needs were really a
good fit for what google's judging criteria turned out to be
for last year, as I review the matter

The 'Application', and 'Projects' from last year need only
minor updating; the time line changes are pretty easy to
drill into the existing doco

-- Russ herrold

Old 02-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Dan McGee

I know Angel tried to get this going last year and it didn't go very
far. Let's try to change that this year.

Here is the starting page from last year:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Google_Summer_of_Code

What we need from us:
* Ideas added to the page that are more than one word. Add what you
can, but at some point, these likely need to be paragraph-long
descriptions of a project that potential students can look at and
apply for.
* Mentors. I can't stress this enough. I think this is why this fell
down last year, but doing this is huge, because for a small investment
of our time, we get a large investment of student time.

I plan on flushing out the pacman section a bit more after consulting
with my fellow pacman devs and looking at our future roadmap and bug
reports. Please add any and all project ideas you can think of to the
list, and we can worry about cleaning it up later, as we aren't having
to submit anything to Google yet.

-Dan

Old 02-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Ionut Biru

On 02/20/2012 07:07 PM, Dan McGee wrote:
> I know Angel tried to get this going last year and it didn't go very
> far. Let's try to change that this year.
>
> Here is the starting page from last year:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Google_Summer_of_Code
>
> What we need from us:
> * Ideas added to the page that are more than one word. Add what you
> can, but at some point, these likely need to be paragraph-long
> descriptions of a project that potential students can look at and
> apply for.

here is one awesome idea:

* single authentication database.

--
IonuČ›

Old 03-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Allan McRae

On 21/02/12 03:07, Dan McGee wrote:
> I know Angel tried to get this going last year and it didn't go very
> far. Let's try to change that this year.
>
> Here is the starting page from last year:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Google_Summer_of_Code
>
> What we need from us:
> * Ideas added to the page that are more than one word. Add what you
> can, but at some point, these likely need to be paragraph-long
> descriptions of a project that potential students can look at and
> apply for.
> * Mentors. I can't stress this enough. I think this is why this fell
> down last year, but doing this is huge, because for a small investment
> of our time, we get a large investment of student time.
>
> I plan on flushing out the pacman section a bit more after consulting
> with my fellow pacman devs and looking at our future roadmap and bug
> reports. Please add any and all project ideas you can think of to the
> list, and we can worry about cleaning it up later, as we aren't having
> to submit anything to Google yet.

Note that if this is going to happen we need to submit by the 9th.

Allan