Old 03-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Default how to monitor,or be notified of email blacklisting ?

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can monitor our server's for blacklisting? We
run a large amount of shared hosting & reseller hosting servers and
from time to time one of the IP's will get blacklisted. I'm looking
for a way to be notified if any of our IP's get blacklisted. Is this
possible?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 03-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Timo Schoeler

Old 03-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Ned Slider

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how I can monitor our server's for blacklisting? We
> run a large amount of shared hosting & reseller hosting servers and
> from time to time one of the IP's will get blacklisted. I'm looking
> for a way to be notified if any of our IP's get blacklisted. Is this
> possible?

You could manually check your IP address(es) here:

http://www.dnsbl.info/

Alternatively, just read your logs (or write a simple script to parse
them for you). You'll receive a 5xx rejection and usually a reason/URL
from the main blacklists whenever you are blocked.

If you're using postfix as your MTA, check out pflogsumm.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Dotan Cohen

> Does anyone know how I can monitor our server's for blacklisting? We
> run a large amount of shared hosting & reseller hosting servers and
> from time to time one of the IP's will get blacklisted. I'm looking
> for a way to be notified if any of our IP's get blacklisted. Is this
> possible?

You have to go through each list and parse for your addresses. Who is
blacklisting you without trying to contact you first?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Eric Peters

One tool I find useful for that type of stuff is MX toolbox
http://www.mxtoolbox.com/ might be of some help, don't think it does
auto notifications though.

On a side note: If your customers are getting blacklisted why not run
all mail through a SMTP transparent proxy filtering out the spam?
Something like ASSP http://assp.sourceforge.net/ ?Or do they control
their own mail servers? If that's the case that might not work for
you.

Cheers,
Eric

Old 03-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Dotan Cohen

2010/3/12 Markus Schönhaber <ubuntu-server@list-post.mks-mail.de>:
> 12.03.2010 13:20, Rudi Ahlers:
>
>> Does anyone know how I can monitor our server's for blacklisting? We
>> run a large amount of shared hosting & reseller hosting servers and
>> from time to time one of the IP's will get blacklisted. I'm looking
>> for a way to be notified if any of our IP's get blacklisted. Is this
>> possible?
>
> Of course that's possible.
> Among the possibilities are:
> - Creating a script that checks your IP(s) against the relevant
> *blacklists and run it regularly (by cron, for example).
> - Creating a plugin for the monitoring software of your choice
> *(or using an existing one) and let that do the check.
>
> Take a look here
> http://www.heise.de/netze/artikel/Verdrehte-Abfrage-223890.html
> for a standalone shell script and here
> http://www.heise.de/netze/artikel/Nagios-Plugin-223892.html
> for a nagios plugin (which I use BTW).
> The article itself is in German but the script and the plugin should be
> understandable nevertheless.

Note that this is exactly what I meant by "you have to check
yourself". Script it.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Eric Peters

Now that I have had some coffee....
Script would be the best way, but fear not you don't have to re-invent
the wheel. rbl look up script, you may have to tweak it.

http://www.sfr-fresh.com/unix/misc/host-20070128.tar.gz:a/host-20070128/rblookup.sh

Cheers,
Eric

Old 03-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Joe Pruett

On 03/12/2010 04:19 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Does anyone know how I can monitor our server's for blacklisting? We
> run a large amount of shared hosting& reseller hosting servers and
> from time to time one of the IP's will get blacklisted. I'm looking
> for a way to be notified if any of our IP's get blacklisted. Is this
> possible?

get yourself registered on feedback loops. aol, comcast, earthlink,
usa.net, and maybe some others offer this. then you'll get copies of
email they consider to be spam. by using them as early warning systems,
you can avoid getting on the blacklist in the first place. also, make
sure you have a valid email address set on your ip whois info so that
abuse messages can get to you. get registered with abuse.net.
basically do as much as you can so that you're aware of what complaints
are being generated and can shut off abusers more quickly.

robtex.com is a good site to use to check for blacklist entries. you
might be able to run a wget via cron to watch things daily.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:37 PM
"Nikolai K. Bochev"

Actually mxtoolbox.com offer automatic notification for blackistings. The free account supports one ip only tho, you will have to register to get notifications for all your servers if you have more than one.