Old 03-11-2010, 04:19 PM
"Nicholas L. Soms"

Default drbd-kmdl packages question

Dear collegues!

I've got one question about drbd-kmdl packages.
As I can see at
$ rpm -qp --qf "%{DESCRIPTION}" kmod-drbd-8.0.16-5.el5_3.i686.rpm
This package provides the drbd kernel modules built for the Linux

kernel 2.6.18-128.4.1.el5 for the i686 family of processors.

So, the question is - kmod-drbd is for kernel 128.4.1 (or build for this kernel version), but current kernel is 164.11.1. Does that means that kmod-drbd should be rebuild for each kernel or it works vell without rebuild?

--
Best regards, Soms N. L.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Nicholas L. Soms <nsoms@linux-ink.ru> wrote:
> Dear collegues!
>
> I've got one question about drbd-kmdl packages.
> As I can see at
> $ rpm -qp --qf "%{DESCRIPTION}" kmod-drbd-8.0.16-5.el5_3.i686.rpm
> This package provides the drbd kernel modules built for the Linux
> kernel 2.6.18-128.4.1.el5 for the i686 family of processors.
>
> So, the question is - kmod-drbd is for kernel 128.4.1 (or build for this
> kernel version), but current kernel is 164.11.1. Does that means that
> kmod-drbd should be rebuild for each kernel or it works vell without
> rebuild?

No, it is a kernel version independent, kABI-tracking kernel module.
So, it should survive each kernel update. No need for rebuilding. (It
is different from drbd-kmdl)

Akemi

Old 03-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Nicholas L. Soms <nsoms@linux-ink.ru> wrote:
>> Dear collegues!
>>
>> I've got one question about drbd-kmdl packages.
>> As I can see at
>> $ rpm -qp --qf "%{DESCRIPTION}" kmod-drbd-8.0.16-5.el5_3.i686.rpm
>> This package provides the drbd kernel modules built for the Linux
>> kernel 2.6.18-128.4.1.el5 for the i686 family of processors.
>>
>> So, the question is - kmod-drbd is for kernel 128.4.1 (or build for this
>> kernel version), but current kernel is 164.11.1. Does that means that
>> kmod-drbd should be rebuild for each kernel or it works vell without
>> rebuild?
>
> No, it is a kernel version independent, kABI-tracking kernel module.
> So, it should survive each kernel update. No need for rebuilding. *(It
> is different from drbd-kmdl)

Oh, and yes, that description should be changed to reflect the fact. :-D

Ralph? Are you the dev in charge of the maintenance?

Akemi

Old 03-11-2010, 04:35 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>No, it is a kernel version independent, kABI-tracking kernel module.
>So, it should survive each kernel update. No need for rebuilding. (It
>is different from drbd-kmdl)

Akemi,
Funny, there was just a thread on the extra repo's drbd packages today
in the drbd list. Given those packages have bugs and are not really
maintained, along with the fact of how easy it is to make rpm's directly
from source (lacking kmod though) might it be wise to drop them?

jlc

Old 03-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Joseph L. Casale
<jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>>No, it is a kernel version independent, kABI-tracking kernel module.
>>So, it should survive each kernel update. No need for rebuilding. *(It
>>is different from drbd-kmdl)
>
> Akemi,
> Funny, there was just a thread on the extra repo's drbd packages today
> in the drbd list. Given those packages have bugs and are not really
> maintained, along with the fact of how easy it is to make rpm's directly
> from source (lacking kmod though) might it be wise to drop them?
>
> jlc

I saw a brief discussion on this subject (maintaining drbd etc) on the
centos-devel IRC channel not long ago. Maybe this matter should be
discussed in the -devel mailing list ?? I would like to hear from
core CentOS devs.

Akemi

Old 03-11-2010, 04:49 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>> Akemi,
>> Funny, there was just a thread on the extra repo's drbd packages today
>> in the drbd list. Given those packages have bugs and are not really
>> maintained, along with the fact of how easy it is to make rpm's directly
>> from source (lacking kmod though) might it be wise to drop them?
>>
>> jlc
>
>I saw a brief discussion on this subject (maintaining drbd etc) on the
>centos-devel IRC channel not long ago. Maybe this matter should be
>discussed in the -devel mailing list ?? I would like to hear from
>core CentOS devs.

Akemi,
As suggested, I am posting here to get the dev feedback, clearly having
kmods is a much better solution than linbits approach, but the existing
bugs will likely catch most new uses off guard.

Thanks guys,
jlc

Old 03-12-2010, 11:31 AM
"Nicholas L. Soms"

OK, thank you!

One more question.
Does anyone have the same problem - when installing drbd-kmdl package via yum, madwifi packages needs to remove. May be I missed something, but I also need madwifi packages =)

Old 03-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Akemi Yagi

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 4:31 AM, Nicholas L. Soms <nsoms@linux-ink.ru> wrote:
> OK, thank you!
>
> One more question.
> Does anyone have the same problem - when installing drbd-kmdl package via
> yum, madwifi packages needs to remove. May be I missed something, but I also
> need madwifi packages =)

There is some confusion here. Are you talking about drbd-kmdl (from
ATrpms) or kmod-drbd? Your original post indicated you were installing
kmod-drbd.

Akemi

Old 03-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Ralph Angenendt

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ralph? Are you the dev in charge of the maintenance?

Looks like I have to be

Cheers,

Ralph